Crossbow Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
115 Posts
Urban Legend said:
Does anyone know anything about these crossbows? I've haven't seen them before. The kind of remind me of an Excal. Here is a link. http://www.middletoncrossbow.com/
They look like an Excalibur, and there is quite a lot of controversy about that, but the limb technology is very different.

David Wyvern in New Hampshire, has done quite a bit of testing of the Middletons and has a very good opinion of them.

I have talked to Derrick Middleton several times and he explained the limb technology differences briefly to me.

A Middleton can actually be dry fired without blowing up the bow. He actually demonstrates this on a video on his web site.

Also, Middleton has a 245# draw weight bow that fires an arrow at about 375fps avg. On his website, this is also shown via video.

If you compare the cosmetic look of the bow to a competitor's line, then consider how automobiles all seem to have a very much look alike in the body designs (basically), then there is no reason to complain about the Middleton's similarity to anyone else's crossbow.

I believe that he has a really good product and deserves a place in the market.

·
11,422 Posts
A friend of mine

loaned me one so I could play with it (test) for a while. There's not any real difference from the Excal other than slimmer shaped limbs. My chrono showed similar speeds, more noise than the Excal because it does not use the dissapator bars, and offers similar accuracy. Man, the parts on these bows look like they will enterchange:ack2: One would think they could have been a little more innovative rather than pretty much copy the Excal but that's my opinion. I'm not downing the bow though. For those that like Excal, I think they will like this bow. That's my point. How can they compete? Price? Everything else is pretty much the same. BTW, I've dry fired several Excals with absolutely no damage to them. Excals have great customer service, they are established and their bows are bullet-proof. My loyalty would still be with Excal due to no other reason than the other bow being a virtual knock-off of Excal's design. Sorry!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Middleton DTM375

This is in response to Moonkryket, I have a DTM375 thing shoots well over manufacturers suggested speed of 375fps as you probably found with your loaner that it sounds like you handled. The companies customer service has been un needed but I have contacted them successfully. The bow is lighter than any other recuve I have handled, they do produce the fastest recurve crossbow presently available. Urban Legend they are a North American Crossbow manufacturer and should be added to your manufacturers section.

DTM

·
11,422 Posts
I don't shoot super light weight arrows

and as a matter of fact I shot the same 470 grain arrows I shoot in my Vortex. If I remember correctly, it shot these arrows at around 285 FPS. The 200 lb Excal Vortex shot the same arrow at around 287. That's why I said they were about the same in the speed category although I think the draw weights are slightly different also. It will be interesting testing the TP GT Flex recurve when I get it. I think it's 180 lb draw weight.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Great Work on your review

You are correct MoonKryket the DTM315 you reviewed is 180 lb. draw weight verses the 200 lb. Vortex another huge difference is the Vortex is a 15 1/2 in. draw length the DTM315 is 13 1/2 in. draw length. I have enjoyed reading your reviews on Archery Talk and Hunting Net your crossbow knowledge will be valued
@ Crossbow Nation.

DTM

·
342 Posts
I have always had Excals because of their durability, and customer service, and as a hunting weapon it has fit me perfect and performed perfect, but I think I will give this DTM375 a chance to prove itself. I wouldn't mind adding it.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Middleton

If you look around you will see several Crossbows as well as conventional bows on todays market bear a striking resemblance.

·
9 Posts
Service

MiddletonDTM375 said:
This is in response to Moonkryket, I have a DTM375 thing shoots well over manufacturers suggested speed of 375fps as you probably found with your loaner that it sounds like you handled. The companies customer service has been un needed but I have contacted them successfully. The bow is lighter than any other recuve I have handled, they do produce the fastest recurve crossbow presently available. Urban Legend they are a North American Crossbow manufacturer and should be added to your manufacturers section.

DTM
I have the 375 and love the accuracy and in particular, the weight. For us in southern Ontario, it would be nice if we could take a problem to a shop. You drive to the address on the website and you may eventually find a mailbox in a store. In hunting season, this is (frustrating).
xboho

·
1,013 Posts
What ever happend to Middleton? They still alive? Have seen a pre-owned one in an online-shop in Sweden...

·
1,013 Posts
disappointing, their product looked very neat...

·
5,686 Posts
design

You can only change a design so much or a design by in large will have similar perameters in the same catagory. Hunter2

·
86 Posts
Curious

Urban legend,
I just went to the Middleton web site. the crossbows look so much like Excals its uncanny. Is Derrick Middleton a former engineer for Excal or something? Also, are they gone? What's going on with this line? I was thinking this could very well be my next purchase. Anything you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, they are vary similar to an excal in the stock, but that's about where it ends. Middletons limb technology is totally different, and they generate equal to or greater speeds as the excals with shorter power strokes. They also have an auto engaging safety that Excalibur doesn't have. I think they are a touch lighter too. I would tell you the are very accurate, but what crossbow isn't? I really like the one I have. They are still in business and continue to set new production records every year. If you are looking for an alternative to Excalibur in a recurve design, this would be the bow for you.

·
172 Posts
I like mine too, Derrick is a standup guy. called me three times after I received the bow to make sure I was satisfied and the bow was shooting alright.
check this out, I wanted the bow, he sends it to me, tells me to send him a check after I receive it. that should tell you a lot about a person. trust and pride in his product.
the only other manufacturer that has done that to me was bandlands packs when they first started out, I have had that pack now for 15 years and it still is in great shape

·
53 Posts
I have heard a fair amount about this brand of crossbow but have yet to see the real deal . Anyone here from the Windsor Ontario area have one ? Any middleton dealers in the area ?? I would like to compare them for myself .

·
86 Posts
Thanks

Thanks UL,
I've e-mailed Derrick Middleton from work. Spoke with him on the phone. He and his company are alive and well. He spent some time with me. He has a lot going on. If he's not responsive, its because he's overwhelmed. All good things though. I hope Derrick & his venture are successful, this appears to be the next level in technology, no gimmicks!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.