Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Western Wisconsin
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to mix up a batch of minerals to get out in the woods.

This is what we use:

3 bags - trace mineral salt
1 bag - Hi phosphorus minerals 1-1
1 bag - Dicalcium phosphate
1 bag - Dried molasses

Was $110 or so for 300 pounds last time I bought it from Fleet Farm in Wisconsin.

What do you guys use?

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Plain white salt block. I aint looking for big antlers.....just a big bodied buck.;):)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I go to Tracker Supply and get the brown mineral salt blocks for under $10... Deer hit them all summer long... As the summer ends, early September I throw corn down to keep them coming.., if you use the molasses in my area.., expect to see more bears

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Mineral sites are frowned upon now with CWD, in fact against the law here in Iowa. surprised any State allows them.
I have posted this before. Deer are ruminates and require mineral for their health. They will find mineral in natural settings, cattle operations, or where established by hunters. Wherever the mineral is found, it will be shared by deer in that area. CWD is not spread by the hunter established licks no more than the natural licks.

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Mineral sites are frowned upon now with CWD, in fact against the law here in Iowa. surprised any State allows them.
No reported CWD here...………………………...so far.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I use Trophy Rock. As far as spreading CWD by using it , I don’t know. I believe since deer sleep , feed under the same trees, preen each other... don’t think a mineral site is going to be anymore difference than what I mentioned. I believe adding supplements to the deer is beneficial to their health , so I’ll keep using it as long as it’s legal.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I use Trophy Rock. As far as spreading CWD by using it , I don’t know. I believe since deer sleep , feed under the same trees, preen each other... don’t think a mineral site is going to be anymore difference than what I mentioned. I believe adding supplements to the deer is beneficial to their health , so I’ll keep using it as long as it’s legal.
I'll keep trying to fill those holes in the woods with mineral salt, it keeps disappearing...??

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
75 in a 60 is illegal, changing lanes without proper signal is illegal, rolling thru a STOP sign is illegal, and on and on. I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
947 Posts
So I have plenty of Lucky Buck, but wanted to make my own mineral lick, the products needed could be found locally but not dicalcium phosphate, I contacted many local places with failure, so I was going to goto Tractor Supply and see if they could order dicalcium phosphate the other products they have. This morning a feed/grain store in PA replied to my email that they have all the products in stock. I drove the 45 min drive to get it, and decided to double my order when they worker told me dicalcium phosphate isn't impossible to get, it just could take weeks. I will add to my mix about a quart of Lucky Buck for scent/flavor......I will put it out next week, as I already have a bucket of Lucky Buck out since this past Thursday

So what I got was:
100 lbs of dicalcium phosphate
200 lbs of Trace Mineral
200 lbs of Stock Salt
Total was $115.00

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I think they need the mineral the most when they are consuming green vegetation.

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
I split a 50# salt block about 3 weeks ago and got those halves out to two different licks. On the warm days we had a couple weeks ago they started licking that salt almost immediately. I'll keep salt there all year long.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Getting ready to mix up a batch of minerals to get out in the woods.

This is what we use:

3 bags - trace mineral salt
1 bag - Hi phosphorus minerals 1-1
1 bag - Dicalcium phosphate
1 bag - Dried molasses

Was $110 or so for 300 pounds last time I bought it from Fleet Farm in Wisconsin.

What do you guys use?
Add a bag of straight salt.. Having a hard time finding the dried molasses.

·
Registered
947 Posts
WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE:
Ingredients:
1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags
2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags
1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags

I fill up two, 2 gallon buckets of the above mixture and also take along with me a bucket of Lucky Buck (flavor/scent)

I start around the end of February, start of March.....once they find it, normally within a few hours of placing they will hit it daily.....they will hit more often as the warmer temps come.....using molasses is great option but in my area it will attract bears....So Lucky Buck is a great option....Bears will come in and investigate but they just don't like the taste of this recipe and they will move on

They hit so well that I must go once per month with fresh minerals

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have always used the same basic recipe from SC to OH with success. I put them out in February and touch them up in the summer and before the season opens. I take a 50lb block of trace minerals, the red one, and bust it into chunks with a sledgehammer. I find a place in a thicket off of a run and dig the dirt into a shallow hole. Put several pieces in the hole and cover with dirt. I use one block for 3 sites. I top it with general purpose mineral meal. Maybe a little molasses for the first time. The chunks take time to break down, and the granular is ready day one. This keeps me from pressuring the site for months. Find deer frequent the natural look better, like what they find in the woods. Total cost for 3 sites about $30.00 bucks tops.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts