Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
4,943 Posts
Getting ready to mix up a batch of minerals to get out in the woods.

This is what we use:

3 bags - trace mineral salt
1 bag - Hi phosphorus minerals 1-1
1 bag - Dicalcium phosphate
1 bag - Dried molasses

Was $110 or so for 300 pounds last time I bought it from Fleet Farm in Wisconsin.

What do you guys use?
Please excuse my ignorance. Never put anything but salt blocks out, and that was many years ago when I owned 6 rural acres. Hunting a friend’s property now. Do you guys mix the dry minerals and put them out? Mix with water and pour into the soil? Not sure how to apply. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I purchase bags of mineral, trace mineral salt and mineral specifically for sheep with high magnesium content. I dig post holes about 6 to 8" deep (2 or 3) per site and pour equal amounts of each mineral directly into the holes. Also scatter a couple pounds around the holes in a two foot circle. Refresh every 30 days after being found. 150# of mineral per mineral lick will last one year, but depends on your deer herd size, for my area with 20+ deer using each site.

The post holes are used to keep the mineral in the ground at the site and not wash away with rains.

After a couple years of use the deer will have the lick sites dug out to 3 or 4 foot circles and 6 inches deep, then just add mineral to the hole for future years.

Be sure to keep sites freshened up when deer are consuming green vegetation, same time of the year the does are lactating fawns and the bucks are growing racks. Not much use during the winter months. Good luck and thanks for keeping your ruminants happy and healthy.

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
631 Posts
Be careful as many states consider this baiting and if you do, you need to dig up all surrounding dirt prior to the hunting season. (Ask me how I know) It's totally BS and ridiculous. In states were baiting is legal, you still have to dig up dirt before season. (PA for example) Again totally ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Will I need to remove all the dirt around my cattle feeders too?
Ruminants will find mineral when needed, could be natural, cattle, sheep, goat feeders or all the above. My experience, mineral licks attract deer when lactating fawns and when eating fresh green foliage....not so much during hunting season so not sure how the wildlife management folks could call this baiting. Amazing!! And I agree, RIDICULOUS!!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
What I find even more ridiculous, I have hunted small game, deer, predators etc for over 50 years and have been checked by wildlife officials one time outside of a state or federal refuge while hunting migratory fowl. The one time was a handy situation, loading bird dogs into my truck while parked near a rural road. The game warden stopped asked for license, made sure guns were cases and properly stored, wished us well.

With this history I'm not too worried about wardens or officials finding mineral licks in the middle of thickets near hardwood timber.

Ruminants need mineral far more than they need protected by some law that is ridiculous. I'm helping make the deer herd stronger and healthier. Without mineral licks, you get the exact opposite.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Will I need to remove all the dirt around my cattle feeders too?
Ruminants will find mineral when needed, could be natural, cattle, sheep, goat feeders or all the above. My experience, mineral licks attract deer when lactating fawns and when eating fresh green foliage....not so much during hunting season so not sure how the wildlife management folks could call this baiting. Amazing!! And I agree, RIDICULOUS!!
It's assinine!!! Warden came on my property and found a mineral site that was old, but took soil samples. Keep in mind that you can legally bait with corn or pellets out of a feeder in my deer problem area, which I don't do as I have food plots that I cultivated and maintained. He fined me for illegally baiting and harvesting a nice buck that had absolutely nothing to do with an old mineral site. He also took my buck. They tried to suspend my license for 2 years and I took them to court and won as they looked like idiots in front of the judge. Still, it cost me money and the whole ordeal was very stressful as I have always followed the rules and never had an issue in my over 40 years of hunting throughout NA.

·
Registered
16,626 Posts
It's assinine!!! Warden came on my property and found a mineral site that was old, but took soil samples. Keep in mind that you can legally bait with corn or pellets out of a feeder in my deer problem area, which I don't do as I have food plots that I cultivated and maintained. He fined me for illegally baiting and harvesting a nice buck that had absolutely nothing to do with an old mineral site. He also took my buck. They tried to suspend my license for 2 years and I took them to court and won as they looked like idiots in front of the judge. Still, it cost me money and the whole ordeal was very stressful as I have always followed the rules and never had an issue in my over 40 years of hunting throughout NA.
Sounds like someone was jealous and told the Warden you had taken an illegal buck. It happens.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
WOW!! The absolute best example of wildlife management malpractice I have ever heard of. Sorry to hear you have to deal with those laws/practices.

·
Registered
Western Wisconsin
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Please excuse my ignorance. Never put anything but salt blocks out, and that was many years ago when I owned 6 rural acres. Hunting a friend’s property now. Do you guys mix the dry minerals and put them out? Mix with water and pour into the soil? Not sure how to apply. Thanks for any suggestions. :)
Its mixed up dry and we just pour it on an old stump.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Getting ready to mix up a batch of minerals to get out in the woods.

This is what we use:

3 bags - trace mineral salt
1 bag - Hi phosphorus minerals 1-1
1 bag - Dicalcium phosphate
1 bag - Dried molasses

Was $110 or so for 300 pounds last time I bought it from Fleet Farm in Wisconsin.

What do you guys use?

We have used this with success. The molasses is the key. I the salt is fine without molasses, but the other minerals are bitter and the molasses helps be more palatable/desirable.

chris

·
Registered
R20
283 Posts
I have posted this before. Deer are ruminates and require mineral for their health. They will find mineral in natural settings, cattle operations, or where established by hunters. Wherever the mineral is found, it will be shared by deer in that area. CWD is not spread by the hunter established licks no more than the natural licks.
I agree with you. Just have to educate the Game Commission to that fact.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts