Crossbow Nation banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Maybe I’m crazy, but I don’t mind some weight on a crossbow. Mercedes are heavier than other comparable cars...they are also very well built. I like the solid “weighty” feel of my Tenpoint Vapor RS470 in my hands. Sure, the crossbow can feel a little heavy after a while, but I consider it good exercise, and part of the “hunting” game. My grandfather played golf 3 times a week...always walked (Like the pros do); refused to use a cart. Said it was part of the game. He lived to a healthy 94. Just sayin.....😂😂
Your not crazy I like it a bit heavier also. I like the feel of it

Reactions: Neilson

·
Registered
wicked ridge blackhawk 360
481 Posts
Kinda off topic but I've got a bow that was listed at less than 7lbs(WR Blackhawk360) with a basic Hawke 3x multi line scope and the 10Pt. sds, that's it. I've never weighed it, but now I'm curious. A few months after I got it I took it to a shop to have the center serving replaced(I'd been over oiling), and while I was waiting I was drooling over and fondling some fully decked out 10Pts. and Ravins they had on display. Every single one I picked up up, the first thing I thought was "This thing is heavy". I would have loved to have had one of them, but there's something to be said for my Blackhawk..

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think its more about balance, when I'm walking and that's not real far these days. With my rifles I also prefer a little more weight for those unexpected offhand shots heavier is more stable for me.

·
Registered
wicked ridge blackhawk 360
481 Posts
I think its more about balance, when I'm walking and that's not real far these days. With my rifles I also prefer a little more weight for those unexpected offhand shots heavier is more stable for me.
Yeah, I will say those heavy bows did all seem to be well balanced; course I'm a rookie.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I never weighed any bow or even considered weight a factor in buying it. It may be important to some depending on what type of hunting they do. So if weight is important than I would be disappointed if they were deceptive in their reporting. If 10 or 20 fps was important, then I could see people being disappointed when they check the speed and it doesn't measure up because in testing used an arrow you would never use. So, there is lots to be disappointed in when dealing with crossbows. But I see it getting better all the time. You can't knock someone if they complain about something that is deceptive or untrue. If it's important to them and they make it known to the rest of us, they are trying to do us a service. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Garmin Xero
1,375 Posts
All of us are fanboys in one way or another. That’s how most of these companies make their $. I will defend TP based on my experiences. I will also say when I don’t like something I.e. their alpha nock. Just like I’ve said I don’t like how my Sub 1 weighs like a boat anchor. Both dislikes based on experience. What I don’t do is try to hide the fact I have a somewhat bias toward TP. But again my bias is based on experience. Quite a conundrum.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
My Ripper 415 has a advertised weight of 6.9 lbs. Of course a scope is added to change that and so on.
I don't care because it's balance fits my needs. It handles very well with sling over the shoulder. That's important because many feel awkward.

Best of success to you!

Spot On

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
I appreciate differing views and not surprised this thread has morphed in a another direction. It's CBN :p.

Note: I have already reached out to a dealer and a respected TP friend about getting more accurate data for the Fury 410 weight so I can make a more informed decision. I am pretty jazzed with this Gen2 de-cocking setup. Looks much better then my Gen1 Viper s400 setup. It's very similar to my Mission Sub-1 XR. If this Xbow actually weighs 7.5lbs naked cool beans but it has to include the built in de-cocker. That setup would work for me with my 3.8oz Sig Romeo red dot. That puts it in the same weight class as my Mission Sub-1. As for branding I don't give a damn. If I like a Barnett or a KI I'm gonna get it just like a TenPoint, Wicked Ridge, BearX, Mission or any other Xbow.

My needs requires a weight ceiling because my DIY hunts range from out west to my home state (Bama, public lands) So that 16oz of weight reference does make a difference and IT will get your attention. So hell yea, specs are important to me.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I appreciate differing views and not surprised this thread has morphed in a another direction. It's CBN :p.

Note: I have already reached out to a dealer and a respected TP friend about getting more accurate data for the Fury 410 weight so I can make a more informed decision. I am pretty jazzed with this Gen2 de-cocking setup. Looks much better then my Gen1 Viper s400 setup. It's very similar to my Mission Sub-1 XR. If this Xbow actually weighs 7.5lbs naked cool beans but it has to include the built in de-cocker. That setup would work for me with my 3.8oz Sig Romeo red dot. That puts it in the same weight class as my Mission Sub-1. As for branding I don't give a damn. If I like a Barnett or a KI I'm gonna get it just like a TenPoint, Wicked Ridge, BearX, Mission or any other Xbow.

My needs requires a weight ceiling because my DIY hunts range from out west to my home state (Bama, public lands) So that 16oz of weight reference does make a difference and IT will get your attention. So hell yea, specs are important to me.
My hats off to you!
I agree every ounce matters. That's why I have an aluminum climber stand to hunt hard to get to spot it a good tree is available.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
My hats off to you!
I agree every ounce matters. That's why I have an aluminum climber stand to hunt hard to get to spot it a good tree is available.
Kudos to the aluminum climber. I have one and and my more comfortable ole man climber is made of steel. That ole' man doesn't get used much unless is less then 300 yards. That's a like carrying a bag of bricks. :p

I've just started buying ladder stands. I lock them on trees on Public Land. Now that is a game changer. Weight at every level matters to me especially as I age. The positive side it's great for my health. At times more then seldom I do puff like a Choo Choo train going up hills. LOL

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A few ounces never made a difference to me nor would I ever be able to tell a difference between on or the other I would never even consider weight as a factor in buying a crossbow. I think maybe people get a little wrapped up in all these numbers. Its basically splitting hairs

Reactions: RB1998

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
A few ounces never made a difference to me nor would I ever be able to tell a difference between on or the other I would never even consider weight as a factor in buying a crossbow. I think maybe people get a little wrapped up in all these numbers. Its basically splitting hairs
I basically agree. I think the OP has reasons to find weight a factor and doesn't appreciate deceptive advertising. For me, it's the last thing I look at if I look at but that's me. I walk no further than a few hundred yards to my stand. A pound here or there is not important to me. Other things are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It seems to be the Weight on Tenpoint website says 7.5 without accessories. But new Accu Decock comes standard and cannot be taken off too rope cock? So weight is 7.5 plus Accu Decock weight
I’m trying to follow along. A Mission Sub 1 Xr looks like a great bow anyhow.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Kudos to the aluminum climber. I have one and and my more comfortable ole man climber is made of steel. That ole' man doesn't get used much unless is less then 300 yards. That's a like carrying a bag of bricks. :p

I've just started buying ladder stands. I lock them on trees on Public Land. Now that is a game changer. Weight at every level matters to me especially as I age. The positive side it's great for my health. At times more then seldom I do puff like a Choo Choo train going up hills. LOL
Yes! That aluminum stand weights 21 lbs. I got it at a season close out in WM about 20 years ago. I have a 2nd one which is half and half because I took the aluminum foot section off another one which had an issue with the top.
I should stop buying blinds and stands. I have six in the woods and my son has two and the deer still dodge them. LOL! Aside from one which has doe coming daily.
Apparently I like variety for the situation. Two climbers, 3 blinds, one lock on and one ladder. As I age climbers are less attractive but right now the climber is in the buck hot spot. Got to wear that safety harness for sure. It seems like with every year I collect more equipment and gets more difficult to keep up with it and remember what I need when I hunt because it's complex. I guess make a list and checking it off should do for a good remainder.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
233 Posts
People who post here are not your average consumer. Most are advanced or experienced. Kind of like the mustang forum I used to hang out in. We are the small percentage. All problems are magnified but not necessarily representative of the general public.

I am with the splitting hairs crowd. If you bought something sight unseen then it's on you. You should handle and see how it fits you before purchase. Alternatively, rely on the experiences of others. Like reviews on this forum.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
As the age goes up in years for me, the less agile i become. I like my Alum. Summit Climbers but i am getting unbalanced more n that scares me. I am going to sell one of mine this year. I can't handle putting up a ladder stand by myself n lock it off at top n not fall. So that leaves me with ground blinds, of which i have 2. I have yet to kill a tick toter from them, dang deer slip upon an old deaf man so easy. Then its too late for me to get on them for the shot.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Yes! That aluminum stand weights 21 lbs. I got it at a season close out in WM about 20 years ago. I have a 2nd one which is half and half because I took the aluminum foot section off another one which had an issue with the top.
I should stop buying blinds and stands. I have six in the woods and my son has two and the deer still dodge them. LOL! Aside from one which has doe coming daily.
Apparently I like variety for the situation. Two climbers, 3 blinds, one lock on and one ladder. As I age climbers are less attractive but right now the climber is in the buck hot spot. Got to wear that safety harness for sure. It seems like with every year I collect more equipment and gets more difficult to keep up with it and remember what I need when I hunt because it's complex. I guess make a list and checking it off should do for a good remainder.
Those damn four legged buckaroos. They are quite elusive but I try anyway. Nocturnal they are until the rut. At least in my area. Good to be in the woods regardless. Spot, I'm following your path. Just picked up two ladder stands on sale. Next year they will be put out. ;) Safety harness, absolutely!

61 - 80 of 105 Posts