Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had an nice 8pt come under me the other day at less than 10yds had my scope set at 30yds so I aimed right below his hart and squished off the shot skint the brisket and ripped off one of my fetching no blood on arrow but found a little in the woods so I went home and checked the cp400 at 10yds with it still on 30yds and it drilled the dot just a little heads up if you are doing the same with your xbow, got pics of deer with a little cut on his brisket

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
John...You might want to look at a trajectory calculator for a solution. You don't want to miss another 8-point. If you are zeroed at 30 yards, the arrow crosses above your line of sight (LOS) and drops into the bullseye. If your scope center is 3" above the rail (like mine) you will be shooting low until the arrow crosses the LOS. If you are dead on at 10 yards as well as 30 yards, the crossing is at 10 yards. Anything closer will be a low shot. When I was shooting a single red dot scope zeroed for 30 yards, it was 3" hi at 10 yards, 5" hi at 20, 0 at 30, and 8" low at 40. Slow bow!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hate to hear you missed hopefully you'll get another shot at him since he's not hurt. I'm sure you learned a lesson also keep in mind that a real close shot with a steep angle it's hard to get both lungs.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Well had an nice 8pt come under me the other day at less than 10yds had my scope set at 30yds so I aimed right below his hart and squished off the shot skint the brisket and ripped off one of my fetching no blood on arrow but found a little in the woods so I went home and checked the cp400 at 10yds with it still on 30yds and it drilled the dot just a little heads up if you are doing the same with your xbow, got pics of deer with a little cut on his brisket
Recommend getting a tracking dog on it. They can find the deer even if no blood. You might have gotten him. I have had a couple zero blood dead bucks that I found with a little dachshund tracking dog. There are clubs of guys out there that will do it for a fee. I hate not knowing.

·
Registered
Vertical bows and Tenpoint Viper
151 Posts
While hunting in Africa I shot a Gemsbuck with my vertical bow. There was no blood on the ground and the arrow was missing. I called the outfitter who came with a tracker. The tracker got on the bloodless trail and found my Gemsbuck 100 yards away. Later we found out that the arrow had penetrated the heart and the buck had bleed internally.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Only once have I tracked and found a deer with no blood trail. It was with a Vertical bow and I must admit it was not tuned well. Anyway, the arrow penetrated the lungs but no exit hole. It bled all internal. The ground was soft and I followed the tracks right to him. Only about 60 yds.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry to hear about the miss.

Good example of why it's so important to do our due diligence of testing our shots at every distance we intend to pull the trigger at.

Also sounds like you may be using an optimizer and opted to not adjust it for the appropriate range...maybe because the deer was so close in at that point and the movement would have increased the risk of spooking him if you adjusted it. Exactly why I do not have an optimizer on my bows. Good tool for shooting off the bench at the range, terrible tool for hunting situations, IMO.

·
3,523 Posts
You was correct to use your 30 yard aiming point that close. Same as holding your 20 yd high. As you seen shooting 10yds at home.

IMO where you messed up was holding low on the heart. You said under me so that implies you were in a tree. You should have held high on your side of the deer aiming for the exit on the off side of the deer.

It happens :). If you got a pic of him afterwards go get him.

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
865 Posts
While hunting in Africa I shot a Gemsbuck with my vertical bow. There was no blood on the ground and the arrow was missing. I called the outfitter who came with a tracker. The tracker got on the bloodless trail and found my Gemsbuck 100 yards away. Later we found out that the arrow had penetrated the heart and the buck had bleed internally.
You killed the pump. Nothing to pump blood out.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Your 10 yard and 30 yard were the same on level ground, but from a tree stand it is a different story. Chances are the deer was only 5 yards horizontally from the base of the tree, which makes it a 5 yard shot. Add to that, at the down angle the arrow likely doesn't come up to the line of sight until 14 or 15 yards.

One of our local 3-D shoots periodically has a 5 yard shot at a rock rascal. The catch is you shoot from a 5' elevated platform. To catch the 12 ring which is just a fuzz bigger than a dime you better be floating your 50 yard ret or pin on it. Otherwise you will shoot low. Archers that have never seen that shot before hit him in foot or target base 9 times out of 10.

·
12,851 Posts
The 3" ... that the crossbow scope crosshair is above the arrow centerline only increases the difficulty of determining holdover on those super-close shots. That's why the rifles we use in brain shooting have small belled scopes. You'd think the rifles would have 56mm bells but they're usually more like 36mm to get them closer to the bore centerline. It's a little disconcerting having to put the crosshairs over the top of a deer's head to hit it between the eyes. :oops: It's something you have to practice to overcome the natural instinct involved.

I shot a doe one time with my vertical out of a 35' treestand and the deer was in about a 10' deep gully right below me. The two blade German Kinetics Silverflame went through her like she was a holograph. Not a drop of blood on the ground. Early season, thick vegetation. With a great deal of relief, eventually found it about 60 yards away. The carcass laying in a gallon pool of blood. Deer didn't leak any blood out until it tipped over.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I always aim for the POI hitting the center of the lungs on the opposite side. I never ever go for a heart shot.
Discovered a while ago a deer can run for a very long distance even with it's heart clipped by a broadhead. The safer shot is to center punch the lungs and it runs out of breath pretty quick.
The challenge, like others have said, is it can be difficult to get both lungs at such close range from a treestand. I'd much prefer a 30 or even 40 yard shot rather than a 5 to 10 yard shot.

·
12,851 Posts
I always aim for the POI hitting the center of the lungs on the opposite side. I never ever go for a heart shot.
Discovered a while ago a deer can run for a very long distance even with it's heart clipped by a broadhead. The safer shot is to center punch the lungs and it runs out of breath pretty quick.
The challenge, like others have said, is it can be difficult to get both lungs at such close range from a treestand. I'd much prefer a 30 or even 40 yard shot rather than a 5 to 10 yard shot.
Amen ...

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
Man, that's tough! You might go thru the whole season without seeing that deer again. Hop not and maybe he'll pop back up under you again somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts