Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Excalibur Mag 340, Oracle X, Boo string
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK!!!! I get the point!😉 I'll get some 200 VPA field points as soon as I can find them!

Now I have to figure out what to do with a brand new unshot pack of 100 grain MOAB's and a pack of replacement blades?????🤔🤨😊

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm planning on doing a video this weekend of an 80yard group with them using VPA broadheads. They shoot one to one and a-half inch groups for me with the broadheads at 80yards.

JH HUNTER
Which VPA broadheads? I personally have no interest in re-inventing the wheel. Only looking for an accurate configuration. I prefer making summer sausage and jerky over target shooting!;)

·
1,325 Posts
Which VPA broadheads? I personally have no interest in re-inventing the wheel. Only looking for an accurate configuration. I prefer making summer sausage and jerky over target shooting!;)
The 2 and 3 blades are very good. I'm shooting the 2 blades now just because I can get them scary sharp on the Lanskey sharpener. You don't need to shoot a 200 or 250 like myself. I've tested the 150gr. and 175gr. and they group very well. The quill just needs 150 plus upfront.

JH HUNTER

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
JH HUNTER said he was going to do an 80 yard test with VPA broadheads. He has been talking about 2 blade VPA's from 150 to 300 grains. I wanted to know which weight he will use.

I have a dozen Black Eagle Executioners with 110 grain inserts. That gives me a starting point of about 300 grains without a tip. It seems as though the target is 500 grains which means ideally I would want a 200 grain head. If 500 is not the best, I'd like to know before I buy a bunch of tips that are destined for the junk drawer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The 2 and 3 blades are very good. I'm shooting the 2 blades now just because I can get them scary sharp on the Lanskey sharpener. You don't need to shoot a 200 or 250 like myself. I've tested the 150gr. and 175gr. and they group very well. The quill just needs 150 plus upfront.

JH HUNTER
I wanted your opinion of the 3 blade also. I prefer the ability to sharpen each of the 3 sides with flat diamond sharpener like I used for my Montec G5's. I have a Lansky sharpener, but the flat diamond sharpener has always worked great and is a lot easier.

·
1,325 Posts
I wanted your opinion of the 3 blade also. I prefer the ability to sharpen each of the 3 sides with flat diamond sharpener like I used for my Montec G5's. I have a Lansky sharpener, but the flat diamond sharpener has always worked great and is a lot easier.
3-blade VPA is just as accurate and easy to sharpen on a flat stone. If you need 500 total 200gr. will be perfect. I'm shooting the 250gr. with the Quills for a total of 505gr. For me, it's just more forgiving and easier on the limbs.
JH HUNTER

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I found some. May check them out today.

By the way, the young guy that worked at the archery shop said all he shoots are the 200 grain 3 blade VPA's on his vertical bow. Loves em and said they work great.

Font Rectangle Triangle Gas Paper

·
1,325 Posts

By the way, the young guy that worked at the archery shop said all he shoots are the 200 grain 3 blade VPA's on his vertical bow. Loves em and said they work great.

View attachment 229739
Yes. Can't wait for for your report. Put them on your standard quills also and do a grouping just for the fun of it. Just remember to shoot one at a time.

JH HUNTER

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
do a grouping just for the fun of it. Just remember to shoot one at a time.

JH HUNTER
:unsure: My 340 only shoots one arrow at a time! :LOL:

I plan to shoot the quills. And the others to see what happens.

By the way, your English is great! My Afrikaans is......I don't speak it at all!

·
Registered
980 Posts
200 grain is good because you can kill even a Buffalo. My English is not good either 🤗
if I were to shoot further with the 340 model I would choose the 175 grain. After 50 yards the drop of a heavy arrow starts to increase as the speed slows down
I have to remember that de is still heavy by today's standards
Happy hunting experiences to you👍

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Your English is fine! I'm just glad all of y'all try to speak English. Most of us Americans are kind of lazy about foreign languages. I appreciate the knowledge I have gained from all over the world on this website including those of you whose native tongue is not English. Sometimes mistakes are kind of funny though!😄

·
1,325 Posts

View attachment 229739
What scope do you have on the 340? With a 500gr. arrow if you don't have an HHA Optimizer you will need a speed compensation scope that can go down to at least 280fps. I've got a Hawk on my 340 Micro that's got a range from 250-425fps. With the Excalibur Tact 100, I had to sight the bow in shooting half an inch high at 20yards, and then it was dead on using the 50yard aiming circle at 50yards when set to 300fps. on the speed ring. The lowest setting it could go. Your speed will probably be in the 290-300fps range with a 500gr arrow.

JH HUNTER

21 - 40 of 65 Posts