Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

Registered
Excalibur Mag 340, Oracle X, Boo string
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have a Burris Oracle X rangefinding scope. I bought it while I still had my Ravin R10. It seemed to me that the reason everybody wanted so much speed was to reduce the need to be able to determine the distance to the target for aiming purposes. Faster and flatter trajectories made distances more forgiving. With an auto ranging scope I no longer saw the need for speed, and instead opted for the simplicity and consistency of what I'm shooting now. So far I'm loving both the scope and the 340.

I have a Burris Oracle X rangefinding scope. I bought it while I still had my Ravin R10. It seemed to me that the reason everybody wanted so much speed was to reduce the need to be able to determine the distance to the target for aiming purposes. Faster and flatter trajectories made distances more forgiving. With an auto ranging scope I no longer saw the need for speed, and instead opted for the simplicity and consistency of what I'm shooting now. So far I'm loving both the scope and the 340.
With the Burris, you will have no problem with distance. I was thinking of getting one too. How do you like it so far? Easy to sight in?

JH HUNTER

Registered
Oracle X is a great combination of scope and rangefindrer, it would be great to hear a "non-commercial" opinion on it. For now, I'll go ahead with the familiar old model with the speed adjustable Hawke scope. At the moment, the idea is to get a good Zeiss or Meopta brand scope and a cold shot plate for it. It's a case of state-of-the-art optics vs. technology.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
............ How do you like it so far? Easy to sight in?

JH HUNTER
I like it. Being an electrician and instrument tech for over 40 years, I'm quite used to tuning things. But I don't think it would be a problem for anybody. Anyway, I had planned to do a bit of a review on it soon. I've had it about 5 months, but it actually was what what encouraged me to switch crossbows. So switching crossbows, adding custom strings, determining which arrow combination worked, etc, have delayed me from being actually able to get a final setup and do a review. I thought it was there a couple days ago,,,,,,,,,,,,, but lots of input from around the world forced me to add a hundred grains to my field points. :unsure:;) So maybe today! :giggle:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok, so after getting the 200 grain field points, I repeated Monday's test. I had done final tuning Monday for the 100 grain tips and did not change scope setting for this test. Again @ 50 yards.

Left target: orange & white Blazers @ 4 degree offset (used Arizona EZ Fletch right offset)
16-1/2" .001 spine matched BEE's with 110 grain inserts
total weight with 200 grain points now approx. 500 grains

Center target: green fletched factory Quill arrows
total weight with 200 grain points now approx. 452 grains

Right target: pink & white Blazers @ full helical (used Arizona EZ Fletch for Bolts)

I only had 6 field points so series were as follows:

First and second set only Quill and pink helical fletched at MIDDLE & right targets
Grass Font Recreation Pattern Tree

Wood Grass Font Musical instrument Recreation

third and fourth set orange fletched 4 degree offset at left target and pink fletched helical NOW with 100 grain tips at right target.
Wood Tool Hand tool Garden tool Grass

Grass Wood Plant Art Recreation

Obviously as hoped the Quills shot a lot better with the 200 grain tips. I was not happy with the pink or orange fliers so I rotated the pink vane and next shot was left of the other 2 pinks. No picture.

I am sure many of you are better shots than I and maybe would have tighter results, but at this point I am leaning towards the pink helical fletched with 110 grain inserts and 100 grain points for 400 grain total. I agree that the Quills shot better than previously with heavier heads, but it doesn't matter since I have a dozen of the others to use and am not limited to making the Quills work.

I noticed my string serving is getting excessively chewed up so it's time to do some more work on the trigger mechanism. I also have some honey-do's to finish so I am finished with this for a while.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
If you are seeing center serving frays you will need to polish the latches. Pretty easy to do.
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that. seems like this could have been done at the factory. Oh, well!

Registered
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that. seems like this could have been done at the factory. Oh, well!
They will polish them for you free but you will have to pull and ship the trigger box to them. I bought a pack of automotive sandpaper from 1000 to 2500 grit at Walmart for less than the postage and did my Scorpyd latches. Took around 15/20 minutes to do them.

Ok, so after getting the 200 grain field points, I repeated Monday's test. I had done final tuning Monday for the 100 grain tips and did not change scope setting for this test. Again @ 50 yards.

Left target: orange & white Blazers @ 4 degree offset (used Arizona EZ Fletch right offset)

Center target: green fletched factory Quill arrows
total weight with 200 grain points now approx. 452 grains

Right target: pink & white Blazers @ full helical (used Arizona EZ Fletch for Bolts)

I only had 6 field points so series were as follows:

First and second set only Quill and pink helical fletched at MIDDLE & right targets
View attachment 229809
View attachment 229810

third and fourth set orange fletched 4 degree offset at left target and pink fletched helical NOW with 100 grain tips at right target.
View attachment 229812
View attachment 229813

Obviously as hoped the Quills shot a lot better with the 200 grain tips. I was not happy with the pink or orange fliers so I rotated the pink vane and next shot was left of the other 2 pinks. No picture.

I am sure many of you are better shots than I and maybe would have tighter results, but at this point I am leaning towards the pink helical fletched with 110 grain inserts and 100 grain points for 400 grain total. I agree that the Quills shot better than previously with heavier heads, but it doesn't matter since I have a dozen of the others to use and am not limited to making the Quills work.

I noticed my string serving is getting excessively chewed up so it's time to do some more work on the trigger mechanism. I also have some honey-do's to finish so I am finished with this for a while.
The quills did not do too bad. You can easily get that one flyer to group with the others by rotating that arrow.

JH HUNTER

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
With the heavier field tips, the Quills did indeed fly much better. But the experiment seemed to indicate that the arrows I already have a dozen of can indeed be as accurate as I need without using the additional 100 grains of weight. As it turns out, Wyvern Creations makes custom arrows for Excaliburs that are exactly to the same specs that my existing arrows are. Using .001 straightness Black Eagle Executioners (among others) they add 110 grain inserts and fletch with Blazer vanes at full true helical to a final weight of 400 grains. I have heard others on these forums say they had very good success with the Wyvern custom arrows for Excalibur. They seem to work for me.

I do appreciate all of the input I get here. But in the end we each go with what we individually have confidence in. And deer season here in Missouri is only 35 days away!

Looks like right now I have to polish my trigger latches!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I will cut off all Quills and Pro Flight arrows from the front and replace the new brass inserts when they arrive.
Don't change what works for you! You were fine with your setup before!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

(That's bad English, but good advice!)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I'm planning on doing a video this weekend of an 80yard group with them using VPA broadheads. They shoot one to one and a-half inch groups for me with the broadheads at 80yards.

JH HUNTER
Looking forward to seeing your results.

Registered
Hi JH! Send me a message and I'll send you back all (as we agreed before) information about the Assassin DLX Pro crony test. Now the Velocity 400 TD and 420 DT have been taken, tomorrow I'll transfer the front part of the 420 TD to the 400 model and choose the speed from the hybrid. Any suggestions on arrow weight? Br: Tommy馃憤

Hi JH! Send me a message and I'll send you back all (as we agreed before) information about the Assassin DLX Pro crony test. Now the Velocity 400 TD and 420 DT have been taken, tomorrow I'll transfer the front part of the 420 TD to the 400 model and choose the speed from the hybrid. Any suggestions on arrow weight? Br: Tommy
Thanks that will be great. I will take the measurements of my limb pockets and send them to you. What weight arrows do you have now? Will be great if you can do more than one weight.

JH HUNTER

41 - 60 of 65 Posts