Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went out Saturday to the club to fill my corn feeder and change out card well was on golf cart and lm hunting along a creek, well we have a rock bridge to cross over, as l was crossing there is a standing pool of water about 15yds long on one side of creek. Something caught my eye as l drove across the bridge, it was a giant 8pt! I kept driving and got to the place that l walk in the woods, got off cart and walked back to creek to see if he was still standing in the middle of the pool which he was. I watch him for a moment and slipped off. Went back in the middle of day and set my climber on pool, l think he is using that creek bottom as a travel way, anyone done this?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck to yall too. I have a ground blind about 400yds down the creek with a feeder, getting some good bucks and a single hog but not the buck I saw in the creek. This creek is about 15yds wide its a wet weather creek and has these pools of water down thru it and they are about 2ft deep on average, there is a rock bridge that gets covered when it rains which is what we call the common rd that separates 2 hunting clubs no one is allowed to hunt on the rd so Im about 20yds off the rd with a climber right on that water hole about 15ft up so if he comes in its going to be close and personal the banks are about 5ft high so its going to be a steep shot not unless I can catch him as he first comes into the water, I found trails in the runoff ditches going into the creek didnt mess around them trying to keep my sent out of there. The season starts here Tuesday so it will be a afternoon hunt, so still trying to figure out if I want to hunt there or go to my ground blind, I think he is going thru getting a drink before he beds down in the morning on the opposite side of the creek, kind of swampy and bamboo on that side so most likely I will hunt the gb, I can only see about 25yds at pool, will keep yall posted he is one that got my heart racing when I saw him

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am going out this morning for a little roe buck they are great eating but small they weigh about 40lbs when dressed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had some heavy rain last week so creek was a little full but hunted Sunday morning with no luck, so walked up in the pines up hill and took a look. Found a spot so went to golf cart got some corn camera and other climber set all up went and hunted it yesterday evening good hunt no deer but good hunt, this is what l got off camera

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice. I only hunt roe deer here in Scotland. I have shot a few red deer but there is too much meat for me as its only me who eats it. So I just go for the smaller deer. Once I get down to my last remaining roasting joints I go hunting again. We can hunt all year long in Scotland. But it's certain times for the bucks and certain times for the does. So the buck season stops on 31st for talking sake the doe season starts on the 1st. So Scotland is good that way. As we are over run with deer. Especially roe deer. They are coming into towns and cities and it's not uncommen to see them in gardens

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I've set up right on creek beds and seen buck travel in the creeks for a few 100 yrds. They must feel safe in the creek.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts