Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys:

Gonna be back in bed with the Desert Stryker. I broke off my relationship with my old DS cuz of trigger issues that could not be fixed quick enough for me.(Only cuz it was middle of deer season and I had a pocket full of tags).
But after playing with a 08 model.... I just have to have one of my own to fondle and carress those slim lines again.
My question is are you guys all shooting "stock" bolts with moon nocks? Now that the bow has been out a while anyone have trouble shooting flat nocks? Stryker rep told me previous that flat nocks will cause premature serving wear. Any proof to this??? Cant see why flat nock wont work?
Thanks

·
1,222 Posts
Hmmm...if the only reason to shoot moon knocks to to preserve the string serving....which admittedly sounds a bit weird....I'd say shoot flat knocks if you like!

Mr. Moon will chime in sooner or later, but I believe he shoots only flat knocks in all of his bows.

I've never had any problems shooting moon knocks in any of my bows. I've had zero accuracy problems as some have noted. I ruined a hand full of arrows until I started shooting one arrow per bullseye! So that tells me...moon knocks don't hurt accuracy....at least with my different brands of bows in my hands.

It "would" be fun to see someone setup a high speed camera on a solidly mounted crossbow...and watch exactly...what the string vs. arrow do through the distance beginning to the end of the barrel.

Mike

·
11,423 Posts
Chiming in

Mr. Mike.............I did shoot moon nocks until I found something better:D

ALUMINUM FLAT NOCKS

Disclaimer: I do not recommend anyone shoot flat nocks in crossbows manufactured by a company that states in writing that their warranty will be voided by doing so.......................unless you are willing to accept that responsibility as I do.

IMHO................plastic moon nocks stink:ack2:

Other than that I have no real opinion on the subject:D

Chiming out.

·
89 Posts
Moon nocks have no place on a track-style crossbow. Funny thing is that even companies like Horton used flat aluminum plugs for many years until their bean-counters decided they could save a bunch of money at the manufacturing level by using Barnett's old moon nocks. The Moon nock had a place and that was on the tail of an arrow made for the Barnett Demon, which was a TRACKLESS crossbow. It needed a nock to shoot properly and to locate the arrow within the trigger assembly on the Demon.

Horton and other manufacturers urge users to use certain products to make sure that the returning customer will buy OEM products. That business model rarely works with someone who knows what a product really is. It works fine on the dillweed who buys at Walley World, but not to a knowledgeable user.

If you need to see what happens when you use a moon nock....

Place your crossbow on a flat surface and place a moon-nocked arrow in the front of the track, ahead of the string, with the string un-cocked. This is the rest position at the end of the power-stroke. Put a little pressure on the front of the arrow to simulate string pressure on the nock during the show. 90% of the time, the rear of the arrow will lift upwards and off the track. THAT's how your arrow is leaving the bow during the shot. Usually, it's not a problem with a ballistic tip on the arrow, but it makes for some horrible tuning problems when used with fixed-blade broadheads.

Flat bolt plugs are pushed straight on the tract, regardless of string position on or above the track. If the string is too high above the track, you've got a riser out of alignment to the stock/barrel assembly.

Aluminum bolt plugs are chamfered on the edge and present no undue wear to a string.

Think the bean-counters are not in charge? Look at Horton's 3-arrow quiver that is provided with their "kits". The quiver is actually a cheap 4-arrow unit with the 4th slot blanked over in the rubber mold. Used to be, they shipped 4 arrows.... now only three, so the quiver reflects the reduced number of arrows shipped with the bow.

Don't ya just love it?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts