Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an R29X. So excite to join the Ravin club :)

Anyway, I hunt primarily moose in Northern Ontario. Moose don't jump the string so I want to practice up to 80 yards which I think will be safe since there will still be more than enough kinetic energy. I more concerned with groupings at that range and wild shots that move by 12 inches or more. Does anyone here have experience with shooting mechanical broadheads that group well at that range? I've read all the posts about broadheads, but most comments talk about shots between 30-60 yards.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think riflenut has a video on YouTube with 3 shots in the same hole at 80 yards. Think he was using a field point. But you should be able to get sub 12" groups at that distance with some kind of expandable. I'm just not sure what kind of k-energy it would take at that distance being an expandable, to get the penatration needed for moose.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have used Rage hypodermics and Sevr and gotten near same accuracy as field tips (within half an inch or less of field tip POI). I am shooting consistently inside a three inch circle and 80% of the time am hitting POA within a half inch at 100 yards with my R10 and R20. Of course I am using a Sig sauer 2.5 x 8 32 mm scope and an 1800 range finder and their BDX (bullet Data Exchange) system with them. That system gives an LED hold over indicator light giving the exact hold over at any given range instantly. I am hitting dimes from 70 and closer and at 90 am hitting tennis ball size targets consistently. Go here to learn about Sig's BDX system: Facebook Groups

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used Rage hypodermics and Sevr and gotten near same accuracy as field tips (within half an inch or less of field tip POI). I am shooting consistently inside a three inch circle and 80% of the time am hitting POA within a half inch at 100 yards with my R10 and R20. Of course I am using a Sig sauer 2.5 x 8 32 mm scope and an 1800 range finder and their BDX (bullet Data Exchange) system with them. That system gives an LED hold over indicator light giving the exact hold over at any given range instantly. I am hitting dimes from 70 and closer and at 90 am hitting tennis ball size targets consistently. Go here to learn about Sig's BDX system: Facebook Groups
Can you tell me exactly which Rage and Sevr's you're using?

·
60 Posts
What area are you hunting . I’m Area 3 near red lake .been hunting with an r10 but bought an r26 last nov .
never shot a moose with the ravin yet but a couple with the Excalibur.
both my brother and I shot nice bears last year while moose hunting .we set baits the first day we get to moose camp and start cold .

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't hunt Moose anymore. Lived in Alaska 11 years and hunted moose then, and Caribou. Hunt whitetail currently. I'm in Iowa and there are very few Moose here, and only in extreme North of the state.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
just wow to the o.p.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just wow to the o.p.
You don't like the thought of 80 yards? I've taken down moose before with an excalibur Micro 355 at at 58 and 55 yards. While 80 yards might seem far, you have to understand a moose has an incredibly large killzone compare to a whitetail.

I am a fan of your posts and experience, so I'm really interested in knowing what you mean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What area are you hunting . I’m Area 3 near red lake .been hunting with an r10 but bought an r26 last nov .
never shot a moose with the ravin yet but a couple with the Excalibur.
both my brother and I shot nice bears last year while moose hunting .we set baits the first day we get to moose camp and start cold .
I'm in 31, near Chapleau.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
With Ravin R20, R29, R29x 80 yards ain’t hard. Watch the wind. To hit a pie pan at 80 yards is what we are talking about. It’ not hard at all. Just practice. My tests show rage hypo will suffice. I would opt for 125 grain head for bigger quarry. Here’s Video I did using rage hypo and field point.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I can hit tennis ball size targets 100% of the time out to 100 yards using the R10 or R20 and the Sig Sauer BDX system with an 1800 Range finder, and a 2.5 x 8 32mm scope (most of the time I hit dimes at that range). At 80 yards I can hit dimes to quarters consistently. This is using the Rage Hypodermic, or Sevr mechanicals in the 125 grain size. I would bet that you will get a complete pass thru on a Moose at that range. There is more than enough kinetic energy at that range to put a Moose down or a Grizzly for that matter. Having lived and hunted in Alaska for 11 years, I would not hesitate to take a Moose, Caribou, or Grizzly with either my R10, or R20 at that distance. Go here to learn about the Sig BDX system on crossbows. Facebook Groups

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
You said you lined up the blades with the grooves. That is incorrect as the blades should be lined up BETWEEN the grooves. Read the instructions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you noted in differences in accuracy between your R10 and R20 when using the same weight arrow and broadhead?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts