Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of disappointed I continue to see many more hogs than deer on my cams... If I go stick some darts in those pigs will that further deter deer in the area..?

I can't imagine I'm the only one this has happened to. What do I do?

TIA
WTZ

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I have a pig to deer ratio of 10-1 and I shoot them every change I get. Putting pressure on them may change their patterns a bit but I doubt it will run them off. I've shot a dozen since the start of the year and I have as many as ever. It's all about food with pigs so take a look at that on your property.

What we do to try to help the deer is fence up our feeders and food plots, which is a job but well worth it. We use the 16' x 34" hog feeder panels, sink tposts and wire them together. As long as there is not much of a gap at the bottom of the panels, it's an effective way to keep them out.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
There was a time when the AGFC didn't want anyone shooting them on their management areas because they would have higher success trapping them. Well! Has time went by and their success fell off they said shoot all you can.
That is the approach I take on our lease. Shoot any pig possible because they breed so fast. This summer last month I shoot four and some overs shoot 10-12. I was seeing hogs on the trail cams now none are showing up. At least now it seems they have been put down. But I know they will be back due to roaming and breeding.

Good luck!
Spot On

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a pig to deer ratio of 10-1 and I shoot them every change I get. Putting pressure on them may change their patterns a bit but I doubt it will run them off. I've shot a dozen since the start of the year and I have as many as ever. It's all about food with pigs so take a look at that on your property.

What we do to try to help the deer is fence up our feeders and food plots, which is a job but well worth it. We use the 16' x 34" hog feeder panels, sink tposts and wire them together. As long as there is not much of a gap at the bottom of the panels, it's an effective way to keep them out.

View attachment 183446
That is a great idea! But will they run the deer off? And if I kill them where my deer stand is will that also deter deer?
Only have 2 weeks left till opening day...
Invite us all over to stack some Bacon?;)Best Wishes!
Don't feel like you need an invite!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
That is a great idea! But will they run the deer off? And if I kill them where my deer stand is will that also deter deer?
Don't feel like you need an invite
When I shoot them I leave them where the fall because in a few days only bones remain and it doesn't bother the deer.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Don't feel like you need an invite!
They won't unless they are competing for the same food. I'd suggest removing them and feeding the coyotes and vultures some place other than your hunting spot.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have a lot of hogs where I hunt and going on my third year hunting with and around hogs. What I have learned is, Hogs love corn and will run off my deer. So, I don't run feeders because all I'm doing is feeding pigs and if I put up cattle panels the bears will tear up my feeders anyway.

What I do is run short term bait piles, when the hogs find the bait I either stop the bait or move to another location. I hunt the oaks when the acorns are dropping. I've also had good luck hunting clearcuts before the frost kills what the deer are browsing on. I also enjoy pork and deer meat!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Two minutes of hog hunting.....

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
They won't unless they are competing for the same food. I'd suggest removing them and feeding the coyotes and vultures some place other than your hunting spot.
This year and last when I took hogs out the others stopped coming to the feeders. I left them close them less than 50 yards of feeder. Now the deer are king at the feeder.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I hunt on property that borders a refuge and that refuge is overrun with hogs in places. Last year they hired a heli operation and two chopper crews took out almost a thousand pigs in the remote areas of the refuge. That made no notable impact in my area where we shot about 20 pigs this past year. They have grown in number over the 3 years I've been here and although I like to hunt them, this property would be much better deer habitat and much cheaper to manage. I'm not complaining though. I love to hunt here.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I hunt on property that borders a refuge and that refuge is overrun with hogs in places. Last year they hired a heli operation and two chopper crews took out almost a thousand pigs in the remote areas of the refuge. That made no notable impact in my area where we shot about 20 pigs this past year. They have grown in number over the 3 years I've been here and although I like to hunt them, this property would be much better deer habitat and much cheaper to manage. I'm not complaining though. I love to hunt here.
I couple of years ago I visited a cousin that farms SE of San Antonio. We were talking about hog hunting/killing. He stated he uses a copter service to manage the hogs. I ask him what was the most he had taken in one day. It was 175 using a M16 with a red dot scope. The put them is a large pit except what they can't get to in the brush and burn them. He also said he has seem well over 150 turkey in a field at at time. He also runs a guided hunt service for deer and hogs on the land that has cattle.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Will shooting deter the deer? Sounds like you already have a deterrent by not shooting. I say, what can it hurt! Mow um down !

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I shoot em from Jan. to mid April. As many as possible. If I could use a smoke pole I'd take a couple at a time. I hunt in an archery only county so it's one at a time.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Will shooting deter the deer? Sounds like you already have a deterrent by not shooting. I say, what can it hurt! Mow um down !
Mow um down.
Is that why they call um Bush hogs ? 😆👌

Reactions: Gwn001

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is a lot of pork brother!

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Hogs showed up on my feeder this summer so I removed the feeder for two weeks to let the hogs move along. Seemed to work although one boar remained behind. I hope the rest remains away because my season opens the 12th and I don't want the hogs to run the bucks off that I'm getting steady pictures of.

Reactions: whitetailzombie
1 - 20 of 25 Posts