Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been doing a lot of reading here but I'm new to posting. I just got a Centerpoint Sniper Elite 370 crossbow for this season. I know that's not crazy fast for a crossbow, but most of the fixed broadhead discussions I find online tend to be with vertical bows or lower speed crossbows.

I like the idea of a fixed broadhead because I like to keep things simple. I don't want to be worrying about whether the BH is opening in flight, or not opening after impact. I also like the idea of easily resharpening the broadheads.

I picked up a pack of G5 Montec's, which I haven't used yet.

A lot of Youtube videos only show accuracy tests out to 20 yards, and I'm wondering about accuracy out to 45 yards or so. I'm not looking for field point accuracy, just broadhead consistency.

For a crossbow in this speed range, do you think the Montec will tend to plane off center? Is a 4 blade broadhead more accurate than a 3 blade one? I would like to avoid matching the broadhead to the fletching unless I really need to.

Which broadheads have you tested for accuracy with a high speed crossbow?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
just broadhead consistency.
True... You hit the nail on the head. If you are shooting targets, you don't get "do overs". You can't go pull out a shaft in the middle of a tournament and shoot it again; but if you are hunting, you will very seldom shoot more than one arrow. You sight-in with one arrow and repeat with that arrow until you are confident that when the time comes it will go exactly where it did in practice. When that one is lost or broke, break in a new one. If it is not a perfect copy of the first one, just tweak it during sight-in. Spine matching and weight matching of hunting arrows IMO is an unnecessary expense and effort. Howsomeever, don't forget to square those ends, carefully index the spine, and spin test the arrow for concentricity.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hi, I've been doing a lot of reading here but I'm new to posting. I just got a Centerpoint Sniper Elite 370 crossbow for this season. I know that's not crazy fast for a crossbow, but most of the fixed broadhead discussions I find online tend to be with vertical bows or lower speed crossbows.

I like the idea of a fixed broadhead because I like to keep things simple. I don't want to be worrying about whether the BH is opening in flight, or not opening after impact. I also like the idea of easily resharpening the broadheads.

I picked up a pack of G5 Montec's, which I haven't used yet.

A lot of Youtube videos only show accuracy tests out to 20 yards, and I'm wondering about accuracy out to 45 yards or so. I'm not looking for field point accuracy, just broadhead consistency.

For a crossbow in this speed range, do you think the Montec will tend to plane off center? Is a 4 blade broadhead more accurate than a 3 blade one? I would like to avoid matching the broadhead to the fletching unless I really need to.

Which broadheads have you tested for accuracy with a high speed crossbow?
I have use NAP Spitfires 3 blades for 20 years because I tested several times to convince there was no need to practice with them. So I never practice with them. I practice only with same weight 100 gr field tips and expect the Spitfire to do likewise. There is a reason why the Spitfire is one of the most popular.

Reactions: truedisciple

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Fixed blades fly well on stiff shafts like Spynal Tapps. Most fly well up to 1-3/16" diameter. Over that I had zip success. I never had any 3 blade fixed fly better than 4 blade Slick Tricks. I do believe 4 blades have a better centrifugal balance over 3's. I'm sure Dorge would have a better terminology for it.
Good luck and, spin'em too.

·
217 Posts
Out of my Sniper 370 by far the best flying fixed blade 150gr Ozcut Elite 3blade. Out to 60yards, not many fix blades will shoot as accurate. It sharpens up pretty easily after practice. I've taken a big wildebeest cow and 2 impalas with it on my last trip. The ranch manager's comment was that its the first time he saw animals running less than 35yards after the shot. All 3 was down with insight and the one impala only managed 20yards before going down. Look at the impact of the broadhead on the slow-mo clip.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've hunted with 3 blade muzzys since they came out with vertical bow, never had issues, last year started with crossbow hunting so pulled my muzzys and haven't had any problems nock on wood, tried and true. I hunt with a center point cp400 with the factory arrows, I use regular bolts to practice with that I got from walmart they all are accurate to each other, hope this helps,

·
Registered
234 Posts
True... You hit the nail on the head. If you are shooting targets, you don't get "do overs". You can't go pull out a shaft in the middle of a tournament and shoot it again; but if you are hunting, you will very seldom shoot more than one arrow. You sight-in with one arrow and repeat with that arrow until you are confident that when the time comes it will go exactly where it did in practice. When that one is lost or broke, break in a new one. If it is not a perfect copy of the first one, just tweak it during sight-in. Spine matching and weight matching of hunting arrows IMO is an unnecessary expense and effort. Howsomeever, don't forget to square those ends, carefully index the spine, and spin test the arrow for concentricity.
I have hunted for over 30yrs and couldn't agree more with you, I have shot 15 deer with the same arrow and broadhead. Finally lost the arrow and really was disappointed

·
Registered
143 Posts
Get some tooth of the arrow broadheads!! I'm going to do a review on here eventually but these things are filthy accurate out of my xbow (370fps). Small profile 1 piece design fixed blade. FWIW my magnus black hornets also shot really well out of my xbow, I just like how tooth of the arrow has a sharpener you can buy and its extremely easy to use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just tried some Ramcat 100gr hydroshocks today. They flew spot on with field points at 40yds with both BEE's and zombie slayers.
What speed is your crossbow?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realize that most hunting scenarios only allow for one shot, but I would still like to have 3 or 4 arrow/broadhead combos that shoot together. Sometimes a follow-up shot is needed to finish off the animal, or maybe I lose the arrow and want to hunt the next day without sighting in another arrow.

What I meant to say is that I'm not looking for the broadheads to shoot with my field points necessarily, although that would be great too. I want to have 3-4 broadheads that shoot consistently with each other.

Thanks for all the tips! I don't know how to square the ends, index the spine, or spin test the arrow, so I have some more studying to do! 🏹

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your input, it's really helpful!

Has anyone tried the G5 Montec or the Annihilator on a high speed crossbow? I like how easy it is to sharpen these 2, but I would like feedback on accuracy from someone who has tried them.

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
I have used G5 Montecs out of a bow shooting about 340 fps and they shot like darts for me. I have not tried them at over 400 fps yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have used G5 Montecs out of a bow shooting about 340 fps and they shot like darts for me. I have not tried them at over 400 fps yet.
Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, is "they shot like darts" a good thing, or a bad thing? 🤔

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Best fixed I have shot myself. I have 3 bows set up for these heads now.
I cant think of an expandable I have shot that is more accurate. As accurate yes. Not more so. Over 2" cut area (1X1=2) and what more is there than that?

Get some tooth of the arrow broadheads!! I'm going to do a review on here eventually but these things are filthy accurate out of my xbow (370fps). Small profile 1 piece design fixed blade. FWIW my magnus black hornets also shot really well out of my xbow, I just like how tooth of the arrow has a sharpener you can buy and its extremely easy to use.

View attachment 183963

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I don't know how to square the ends, index the spine, or spin test the arrow, so I have some more studying to do!
Unless you are building your own arrows, don't worry about the first two. They should be taken care of by a high quality builder, but ask when you order if you buy custom arrows. Check the "Arrow Section" for much discussion among "TappNation, SEW, Bunny Rabbit and Jon Henry" on the subject. Spin testing is important to assure that you haven't screwed on the broadhead out of alignment with the centerline of the shaft. Pine Archery makes an inexpensive roller bed to spin test your hunt-ready arrow. A wobble in the front end will make consistency hard to achieve. Check out Bloodsport arrows if you don't want to pay for custom built. "Stalker" seems to think rather highly of them with good cause. Black Eagle and Victory arrows are also well regarded.

Season's open here! Time to get out and stop poking holes in paper!🤪🤩

1 - 20 of 23 Posts