Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm getting my first crossbow soon (recurve, max. 260 fps, 18-20 inches bolts). What are the most durable bolts in your opinion? Which material/brand should I go with?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have not shot them all but Zombie slayers are the shafts that have been the toughest for me.
I have not had one crack in the last 2 years.
Worst I had was the Headhunter. Those things came broke or got broke as easily as a piece of thin glass.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got my first xbow this time last year, and went through a couple of different brands ... most reliable for me has been Bloodsport, witness or hunter (I like witness for the weight). ETA: I cannot recommend Hammerfist Hybrids for durability based on my experience.

·
Registered
954 Posts
As I read your scenario you said a recurve, shooting under 300 fps, and 18" to 20" shafts. For that set up I'd recommend you consider Easton XX75 2219 arrows. With reasonable care they will be very durable, they are priced right, and they will give you consistent performance, field point or broadhead. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey, I'm getting my first crossbow soon (recurve, max. 260 fps, 18-20 inches bolts). What are the most durable bolts in your opinion? Which material/brand should I go with?
Last year I finally broke an Easton Full Metal Jacket. In fact I broke three of them. Prior to that I folded up a couple inches behind the tip by hitting the re-rod in a 3 D target leg and one on hitting a tree. I shoot Recurve crossbows so 100% of the max draw force is applied when the trigger lets go. That makes me a little distrustful of carbon arrows, especially on the 380 FPS crossbow.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Generally speaking, the stiffer the carbon shaft, the more resin it has in it to make it stiff and that directly affects how brittle it is. Any shaft in the sub 10 gpi that's stiff will be brittle. Case in point are the BEEs and Zombies. A 9.0 gpi Executioner is less stiff than the 9.1 gpi Zomble. The Zombies are excellent fliers, especially from 400+ fps xbows but from my experience they rarely survive an animal shot even on pass throughs unless they land in soft ground. They break every time I make a head shot on a pig vs the Executioner that has yet to fail.

For a sub 350 fps xbow, the Black Eagle Executioner or Gold Tip Ballistic Pro would be great choices.

·
Registered
657 Posts
For bolts: Grade 8

For arrows for a slow recurve: anything modern name brand whether carbon or aluminum will be up to the task.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
The .302 OD. Gold tip hunters I am shooting out of my Barnett TS models are smaller in diameter but have a gpi of 9.3. Thick walled,finding them to be accurate and durable. Hope to take the Hog skull test to one soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got a similar recurve at 150lb 270fps and a compound at 175lb 340fps and suggest you start out target practicing with low priced 20" aluminum arrows as you will surely damage some of them when starting out

I've tried a variety of low priced arrows - aluminum and carbon, and the ones I like the best are a metalic pink colored aluminum that is simply marked in white writing "2019" - no brand name, and weight is 300 grain for 20", so I wouldn't go with 18" as they will be lighter still (300 grain is quite light)

I've seen them on several different web sites - all likely from the same Chinese or Taiwanese factory - here in the UK, these are the ones I bought: EK Archery Aluminium Bolt - 20 inch\Heavy Duty Pack of 5

·
Registered
63 Posts
Correction: They are marked 2219 - and the 20" ones I got were actually pink, and not black as many web sites state

1 - 13 of 13 Posts