Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen some outstanding advancements with CCDs with Ten Point and by far they are the leaders in the industry with their Viper/Vapor models that have built in cocking devices but my reservations with these systems is Murphy's law. If something doesn't function you have no options to cock the Xbow if the CCD ever fails. I'm sure it's reliable so this is not a ding at them but Murphy's law is real. To me the real advancement and next step is a company that can build an external motorized CCD that can adapt too many Xbows for the owner that is challenged because of heavier limb technology pushing north of 200lbs limbs.

I work out regularly pumping iron, I have an ailing back and it's a chore to rope cock 200lb limbs on my new Barnett 400XP. Not a negative to the Xbow but the reality as OEM's are moving toward heavier limbs. It's easily doable when my back is not ailing but I know when I get weaker this will be a real challenge to me.

If it's possible for such a motorized device that is quiet enough, that has the charging ability to crank torque these heavier limbs and it doesn't damage the motor or the strings this would be one of the biggest advancements for Xbow owners in my opinion.

I marvel at the guys north of 70 that still get out and shoot their Xbows.

Reactions: dynamo61 and ldock

·
8,922 Posts
Did you … ever hear a quiet battery operated electric drill?...lol I doubt you'll find a quiet motor to run a 200lb limb crossbow.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Motorized wenches have been around for awhile. It's just figuring out how to miniturize and silence it, that would be the task at hand.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Some time ago barnett introduced a pneumatic cocking system, it flopped

There is a company overseas that introduced an aftermarket rig that fits excalibur bows that let the limbs down so there is no tension on the limbs so a child could cock it

I haven't seen it take off either

If someone were to come up with a crank that quietly and quickly in one or two cranks let the pressure off the limbs so the bow could be cocked by hand then i think they may have something

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you … ever hear a quiet battery operated electric drill?...lol I doubt you'll find a quiet motor to run a 200lb limb crossbow.
Did I say that ID? I posed a question. Hey, a battery powered golf cart is big and it is relatively quiet. I don’t think you or I know That answer. Just posing a question. You never know. ;)

If this could be done I’d think you would be first in line and I’d be right behind you.:p

·
Registered
180 Posts
Did I say that ID? I posed a question. Hey, a battery powered golf cart is big and it is relatively quiet. I don’t think you or I know That answer. Just posing a question. You never know. ;)

If this could be done I’d think you would be first in line and I’d be right behind you.:p
For the last few years I have run an instant replay system for a high-school football team

I started with marine batteries and voltage converters to provide 110v on the field but now it is done with two of these, 1.8 pounds each and the voltage converter is built in

Over 3 hours of 110v AC current from each one

This thing has lithium ion batteries they are about the diameter of a quarter and 2.75 inches long

If you had a block of these batteries about 2'x2'x2' you could run an entire house on these except for ac, stove and water heater for about 24 hours maybe longer

·
4,713 Posts
Many crossbow users have destroyed their shoulders by shooting higher poundage vertical bows. 70# seems the norm. In the bow shop I frequent, I've asked those shooting 70# and up, “Why are you shooting that poundage?”.
“For the energy, flatter trajectory or something similar”, is the answer. Not a good answer. At the same grains/# , 50, 60,70 will all shoot appx the same speed. All will go thru a deer.
Crossbows: we have the advantage of a crank. Use it! Backs are delicate. Because you can rope cock it doesn’t mean it’s wise to rope cock it. Nor using 70# bow for decades.
At 73, I can easily pull a 70# bow largely because I didn’t pull 70 # bows ; rather, 55-60# bows. I can rope cock my BD400 and SWAT XP but don’t because I want to preserve my back.
For most modern crossbows, crank cockers just make sense.
Want a bad back to go with a bad shoulder?

·
11,318 Posts
A recurve backup crossbow just in case your whizbang 450 FPS crossbow crank cocker fizzles out........makes sense, I think

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many crossbow users have destroyed their shoulders by shooting higher poundage vertical bows. 70# seems the norm. In the bow shop I frequent, I've asked those shooting 70# and up, “Why are you shooting that poundage?”.
“For the energy, flatter trajectory or something similar”, is the answer. Not a good answer. At the same grains/# , 50, 60,70 will all shoot appx the same speed. All will go thru a deer.
Crossbows: we have the advantage of a crank. Use it! Backs are delicate. Because you can rope cock it doesn’t mean it’s wise to rope cock it. Nor using 70# bow for decades.
At 73, I can easily pull a 70# bow largely because I didn’t pull 70 # bows ; rather, 55-60# bows. I can rope cock my BD400 and SWAT XP but don’t because I want to preserve my back.
Sew, great insights. Thanks for sharing. Now it would be really cool if a motorized CCD had the capability to do that.

ID, no were are not talking about using my "Black and Decker" 1/3 HP drill. The extension cord is not long enough to get to the gasoline generator under the tree.. ;)

Reactions: SEW

·
8,922 Posts
One of … the most prophetic posts you'll ever read. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD! I quickly turned my 70lb Bowtech Allegiance down to 66lbs, and eventually down to 63lbs. Killed just as many, if not more deer. Bought an exact duplicate 60lb Allegiance and did my thousands of arrows pre-season training at 55lbs. Still have my shoulders. I can short sled my Scorpyds, but I don't. I crank my Orion. Still have my back and shoulders. "Cumulative damage is insidious and is a stealthy malefactor."

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Parker had A xbow that used a small C02 canister to cock them. They went under.

·
8,922 Posts
A recurve backup crossbow just in case your whizbang 450 FPS crossbow crank cocker fizzles out........makes sense, I think
That's like … having a flintlock to backup your M16...lol 😂

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I'm sure there will be many more exotic contraptions besides a power cocker to hit the market in the future! We live in a society where anything that keeps people from any type of effort or inconvenience is what matters, and most will pay anything to make it easier, and take any effort on their part out of the equation!

Now if they market it thinking this old coot is going to contribute to their cause,,,, well that ain't happening! I for one think we have seen more new bad, than new good for the sport. My opinion, is it will sell like hell,,, but not for any reason I influenced!

I like simple, light, and the less parts and pieces they use, the better getting it that way,,, but nobody is designing to those thoughts anymore, it's a money game and the masses don't want that, they thrive on contraptions, the more the merrier, they'll pay more for about anything that adds more to what they had. Sad thing is, far to many think this will make them more successful,,,

But I think you'll see anything that can be imagined, hell people even fell for 357 mag tipped arrows thinking they could have more killing power, suckers will buy anything! (y)

Reactions: Moon

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had a sit down talk with Judy Kovar. She is a great advocate for bowhunting. She shot a 48 pound bow. I knew that and was suffering with nerve issues in my back. I mentioned I was pained when I shot my 60/70 pound PSE. She said, "Well don't"
In the mid 80s it was all about higher and higher poundage bows. So I dialed mine down to 52 pounds. I took her advice. I even dropped my bows down to 50 pounds. Dead is Dead.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Parker had A xbow that used a small C02 canister to cock them. They went under.
Yep, but the Concord was still being made, and the only bow they had that was not changed over the years it was in production, and the longest selling model they had! Heavy as hell, but for someone with a need and disability requiring it, they offered a quality product for those folks that no one else did at the time!

Now if it had shot 440 fps,,, it would have been one of the hottest sellers out their,,, but people aint buying contraptions that offer sensible speeds, give em the speed with it,, the'll suck it up!

Parker was also one of the companies that only gave their speeds rated with a 400 grain arrow,, and we also see what that got them. But people still refuse to understand why companies rate their speeds with pitifully light arrow,,,, SPEED first,, contraptions second, after that folks don't even care what the bows offer them, hell most don't think their is anything else to consider!

Reactions: Moon

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Well I have been ranting about crossbows with no other option but to mechanically crank a bow. Just don't like the idea of being shut out in the case of a malfunction. The last bow I bought was a TP Stealth because you "can" use a TP Sled Rope cocker in the event that the Accudraw Pro failed. I don't know if my philosophy on this is ever going to change unless they make a device that is guaranteed not to break. But that's not possible.

·
8,922 Posts
Yeah dead... is dead. But there's good reason that they make 70lb stickbows and 450fps crossbows. As Vince Lombardi said "a good big man will beat a good small man every time." More power kills them farther away, and kills bigger things. So while we're singing the praises of light weight, easy to draw/cock and trouble free, and saving the body, let's not get carried away like fast and powerful are some kind of pariah. You want to shoot a 40lb stickbow or 280fps crossbow, you're giving something up. You may work around that something by getting closer, being more selective on shot placement, or limiting the size of your quarry, but you ARE giving things up. :)

Reactions: Swamp Hunter 92NC

·
4,713 Posts
Well I have been ranting about crossbows with no other option but to mechanically crank a bow. Just don't like the idea of being shut out in the case of a malfunction. The last bow I bought was a TP Stealth because you "can" use a TP Sled Rope cocker in the event that the Accudraw Pro failed. I don't know if my philosophy on this is ever going to change unless they make a device that is guaranteed not to break. But that's not possible.
I have a Charger crank for my BD400 but a rope in my pack. I have a DSC for the SWAT XP but a rope in my pack. I have an AccuDraw on my Aculeus 460 but a rope/sled cocker wouldn’t do ME any good.:)

‘The internal crank crossbows would concern me also.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts