Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on the Nation tried these? I know the original Delta's were turds (for most folks). But the Delta Base seems to get very good reviews. The video and picture quality are REALLY good from the research I've done.

They are $79 at Academy, and $69 on eBay right now. If they work as advertised, that is a bargain for a cell camera.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Any of Moultrie's cell cams from the Delta, to the Delta Base, the new to the Edge, and EXO all suck....they all have major issues....if you want a cell camera in the same price range then go to Tactacam

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any of Moultrie's cell cams from the Delta, to the Delta Base, the new to the Edge, and EXO all suck....they all have major issues....if you want a cell camera in the same price range then go to Tactacam
Have you even tried the Base? I recall you tried the original Delta and had bad luck (and I agree it did suck). But I have to disagree that all Moultrie cell cams suck and have major issues, I have the 3 of XV7000 series cams that have performed very well for me. And they have been in the field almost full time for three years, no trouble at all. Still taking pics today. I also recently purchased the Delta Base, and I must say, I am really impressed with it so far. The video quality is outstanding, as is the sound quality. For a whopping $79. And the Edge was just released last Friday. Do you have first hand knowledge of it sucking with major issues, or just an opinion based on your bad experience with the Delta?

Also, I have two Tactacams. A Reveal X and a Reveal SK. They are OK, but they aren't all that to me. And the Tactacam app doesn't hold a candle to the Moultrie app. The Tactacam app does not sync up with the desktop site. I have to delete pictures from the Tactacam app, then delete from the desktop site. Can't delete multiple pictures using the Tactacam app. Have to delete each picture as you view them. Tactacam only sends the 2nd picture in a 3 shot burst. No game recognition with Tactacam, so no way to sort game activity. With Moultrie app, I can sort for bucks only, and it will tell me the number of bucks in a given period, moon phase, temperature, time of day. VERY SLICK. The Tactacam app won't display all of my pictures sometimes. I have to uninstall the app, then reinstall it to make all my pictures show up. Have to pay extra for HD pictures with Tactacam. Same thing with videos. Not so with Moultrie. Tactacam will not let you format the sd card remotely. Easy peasy with the Moultrie app.

I'll go on and say it, I can't stand the Tactacam app. It's like driving a 1929 Model T Ford compared to a 2022 C8 Corvette with the Moultrie app.

Moultrie Base Low Res

Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass Biome

Deer Grass Fawn Natural landscape Terrestrial animal

Tactacam Low Res

Plant Tree Natural landscape Fawn Groundcover

Atmosphere Flash photography Deer Fawn Grass

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I refuse to give Moultrie money with their screw ups...as far as tactacams app I have zero issues with it, and no issues viewing my pictures/videos on the App or the tactacam portal on my lap top

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I refuse to give Moultrie money with their screw ups...as far as tactacams app I have zero issues with it, and no issues viewing my pictures/videos on the App or the tactacam portal on my lap top
I get it. You do you. But making a blanket statement that all Moultrie cell cams suck and have major issues is not at all accurate. If they all sucked, I wouldn't use them. They did lay a turd with the Delta, no denying that. But I actually prefer the Moultrie's over my Tactacams. Mainly because the Moultrie app is superior in every way. And the cams take good enough pictures for me.

·
Registered
17,117 Posts
THF has me curious now. Have you actually tried all the cams you bashed? You did not answer that part in your post.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Original Delra I went through 7 different ones cause Moultrie refused to take them back, they exchanged then for new ones. They at the time claimed a firmware updated will be sent out that never happened, then they shipped out updated Deltas with new updates, but same issues. Then a friend of mine gave me a Moultrie EXO sold at Walmart...it was working so I thought ad I tested it at home. But it wouldn't shut off, I would pull the batteries, Moultrie replaced it, it's still sitting in the box. Every issue I had with the numerous Moultrie cams they at first would blame it on user error, they then said the issues at hand can be fix with lithium batteries, since when will lithium fix issues? I run many brands of cell cams and Moultrie cell cams suck, as does their customer service cause they are trained to Blame it on user or just replace it

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no doubt BHC had a bad experience with the Delta. I did too initially, but finally was able to get it to work pretty good. It functions best in video mode and actually does very good in that mode. If video isn't your thing, set it up to take a single picture, with a 5 second delay and it does good. Set it up for a 3 shot burst, and it won't work. I've had mine in the field since I purchased it last year, and I have only used up 2 sets of Energizer Lithium batteries. I always use lithium batteries anyway, because my cameras are 11 hours from home, so running over to my land to change out batteries is not an option. They are expensive, but well worth it to me. I can't speak for EXO, as I never tried it, but I wouldn't expect much for $59 cell camera.

On Moultrie's customer service, I have no complaints. They gave me a few months free service when I was having trouble with my Delta. Long enough for me to get the bugs worked out. I also had one of my cameras stolen. I notified Moultrie and they gave me two months of their lowest tier plan for free, just in case the nitwits that stole it turned the camera on and accidentally took a picture of themselves. They never did, so that camera is gone. Moultrie has a chat feature on the app and desktop you can use for customer support. Available 7A - 7P Monday - Saturday CST. I have ALWAYS been able to reach them using the chat feature and have gotten good service doing so. Tactacam does not offer that. You either call and leave a message or send them an email (I've NEVER had them actually pick up the phone). Either way, it's not uncommon for Tactacam to take a day or two to get back to me. When you are having issues 11 hours from home and leaving the next day, that is a royal PIA. I've brought my Reveal X back home with me because I couldn't get it to work. I was able to resolve the issue when I got back home (after speaking with Tactacam), but I WANTED THE CAMERA at my hunting lease. And I have found the Tactacams to be very picky about SD cards.

I like both my Moultrie and my Tactacams. I think they both offer a lot of value for the price. But if I had to pick one or the other, I would go with my Moultrie's. Like I've said before, mostly because the app is just that much better.

BHC, if you still have any of the Moultrie cams that gave you fits, I would contact Moultrie and ask them to exchange them for the Delta Base. I would be surprised if they won't do that for you.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I became friends with a person who worked as CS Rep for Moultrie, she told me they are given a script to read off for the average issues the cameras have if they can't solve it over the phone then a new camera is sent out and with free service, but after time what good is the free service if the cams don't work as intended? also told me Moultrie never had a firmware update to fix the issues at hand, it was a market gimmick to keep customers quiet, hence free replacements were given out like candy and the problems still existed even with the updated Delta, also the last time they sent me replacements they said to keep the broken cams, my friend owns a large photo/repair store in NYC I sent him one camera, and he took it apart and told me the guts are made by the cheapest products in china, not even quality.

As far as Tactacam is concerned, the original Reveal was a good camera, then there were reports of issues, the problem was people didn't use the new firmware updates or didn't know how to update it cause it had to be done manually. Onto The Reveal X, XB, SK, and the new PRO just released, updates are done over the air, 99% of issues are people not using the right SD card, using the wrong one the camera may work great but sooner then later it will fail, using the proper SD Card is important. A friend of mine purchased the Reveal X last year, he failed to use the right card he was about to break the camera until I convinced him to at least try the right card, and once he did the camera worked perfectly, in fact, two days later he got a nice buck on camera that he ended up getting. Also, some these cams seem to have issues not working and it has to do with the SIM card, more so with VERIZON than AT&T, this isn't a Tactacam issue but they will replace the SIM card free, I had this problem with my expensive Ridgetec, Verizon for whatever reason deletes the SIM Card number from their system making it not work

·
Registered
251 Posts
Have you even tried the Base? I recall you tried the original Delta and had bad luck (and I agree it did suck). But I have to disagree that all Moultrie cell cams suck and have major issues, I have the 3 of XV7000 series cams that have performed very well for me. And they have been in the field almost full time for three years, no trouble at all. Still taking pics today. I also recently purchased the Delta Base, and I must say, I am really impressed with it so far. The video quality is outstanding, as is the sound quality. For a whopping $79. And the Edge was just released last Friday. Do you have first hand knowledge of it sucking with major issues, or just an opinion based on your bad experience with the Delta?

Also, I have two Tactacams. A Reveal X and a Reveal SK. They are OK, but they aren't all that to me. And the Tactacam app doesn't hold a candle to the Moultrie app. The Tactacam app does not sync up with the desktop site. I have to delete pictures from the Tactacam app, then delete from the desktop site. Can't delete multiple pictures using the Tactacam app. Have to delete each picture as you view them. Tactacam only sends the 2nd picture in a 3 shot burst. No game recognition with Tactacam, so no way to sort game activity. With Moultrie app, I can sort for bucks only, and it will tell me the number of bucks in a given period, moon phase, temperature, time of day. VERY SLICK. The Tactacam app won't display all of my pictures sometimes. I have to uninstall the app, then reinstall it to make all my pictures show up. Have to pay extra for HD pictures with Tactacam. Same thing with videos. Not so with Moultrie. Tactacam will not let you format the sd card remotely. Easy peasy with the Moultrie app.

I'll go on and say it, I can't stand the Tactacam app. It's like driving a 1929 Model T Ford compared to a 2022 C8 Corvette with the Moultrie app.

Moultrie Base Low Res

View attachment 229331

View attachment 229333

Tactacam Low Res

View attachment 229334

View attachment 229335
your app might be defective. I can delete 1 or 500 pictures all at one time. Tactacam displays all info on my app, moon phase , time .day etc.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
your app might be defective. I can delete 1 or 500 pictures all at one time. Tactacam displays all info on my app, moon phase , time .day etc.
You can delete multiple pics through the app, but you have log in to “My Reveal” from within the app. Just takes longer for me.

The Tactacam’s I have do not have game recognition. So there is no way to sort by bucks, does, turkeys, etc. The Moultrie app will let you do all of that and then some. Check out the screen shots below.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The above is sorted for BUCKS ONLY. Shows specific moon phase (waxing gibbous has the most buck activity over time in my area) how many, what cameras they were on, etc. This is GREAT INFO, that I find invaluable.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Onto The Reveal X, XB, SK, and the new PRO just released, updates are done over the air
Not true for my Reveal X or SK. I have specifically asked Tactacam about this and for these two, you have to manually update the firmware. In fact, my SK has a bug where the time gets all out of whack unless you have the camera set to send pictures immediately. Every pic says its taken at 3:03 PM, even in the dead of night. They were working on a firmware update to fix this when I put my camera out in spring. They told me I would have to download the update, then go to my camera to update the firmware. Again, not an option when I'm 11 hours away from the camera.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
negative updates are done over the air with the Reveal X, XB, SK and the PRO, time display goes off the cell tower like your cell phone, or as far as time to send pictures you enter it on the app or the portal I have all my cams no matter the brand or model to send at 0400, and 1600 hrs

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can delete multiple pics through the app, but you have log in to “My Reveal” from within the app. Just takes longer for me.

The Tactacam’s I have do not have game recognition. So there is no way to sort by bucks, does, turkeys, etc. The Moultrie app will let you do all of that and then some. Check out the screen shots below.
I don't have to do any of that on mine. Highlight the top picture and it will ask me if i want to delete all. Don't have to log in. I have 9 of them and I'm super happy with them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
negative updates are done over the air with the Reveal X, XB, SK and the PRO, time display goes off the cell tower like your cell phone, or as far as time to send pictures you enter it on the app or the portal I have all my cams no matter the brand or model to send at 0400, and 1600 hrs
Mine are also done over the air.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't have to do any of that on mine. Highlight the top picture and it will ask me if i want to delete all. Don't have to log in. I have 9 of them and I'm super happy with them.
I also just purchased the extra rechargeable battery packs, no more batteries. Just pull the dead cartridge out and slide in the charged one.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't want to delete all, I want to select individual pictures. And delete all I select at one time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts