Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this Vixen 2 on eBay. The price was right, seller claimed it had been shot once. Once or a million times, it won't be original OEM for long. Been reading about different mods for this Xbow and waiting for the post woman to come on Monday. Seemed like a good candidate for tinkering. Any suggestions?

·
4,335 Posts
Congrats Willie. I had to fight off the urge to buy when not one, but two Vixen 2s were for sale at reasonable prices not too long ago. I already had a 13.5” Middleton rail, so I didn’t bite. ;) I have a thread buried somewhere in all other brands about building a 13.5” , forward riser recurve with Matrix limbs earlier this year. It scaled 328# @ 13.5” on my draw board. I don’t have a chrono, but it was surely faster than my present 380 with 12.5” power stroke. If you can get the new type high output limbs from Excal, and open up those limb pockets for the limbs, you will probably get something that is more powerful than the megs 405. Based on my experience, I would say countersink your Guardian ADF/scope mount, use flat head 8-32 bolts to mount, and use plenty of Loc-tite.;) Good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.(y):D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats Willie. I had to fight off the urge to buy when not one, but two Vixen 2s were for sale at reasonable prices not too long ago. I already had a 13.5” Middleton rail, so I didn’t bite. ;) I have a thread buried somewhere in all other brands about building a 13.5” , forward riser recurve with Matrix limbs earlier this year. It scaled 328# @ 13.5” on my draw board. I don’t have a chrono, but it was surely faster than my present 380 with 12.5” power stroke. If you can get the new type high output limbs from Excal, and open up those limb pockets for the limbs, you will probably get something that is more powerful than the megs 405. Based on my experience, I would say countersink your Guardian ADF/scope mount, use flat head 8-32 bolts to mount, and use plenty of Loc-tite.;) Good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.(y):D
Actually did read your post. How does one go about buying cheaper cosmetic flaw limbs and which ones would you recommend?

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good Luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Got my Vixen2 yesterday. Am pleased overall. The ad claimed it was bought new for his son and shot once. He might have shot one arrow but when dad was't around someone dry fired it a few dozen times. Glad it was a short stroke model. Limbs actually looked good. Serving had a bunch of wear on the bottom and black residue on rail & riser. Photo is from ad, must have been an old camera Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
. Got the black off with Acetone.

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Reactions: Oncebitten

·
Registered
Let's Go BRANDON
1,915 Posts
Have you had a chance to shoot it much? I really like our Exo bows. My favorite is this Apex 90lb model I bought of the Marketplace.
It was for my daughter but it's such a sweet shooter that when I just want to do some shooting it's what I reach for. You dont even need a rope to cock it and it doesnt destroy targets! I added the wood stock over the winter. This winter I would like to get the rail either anodized or Cerakoted. That and some checkering on the grip areas.
Congrats on your first Excalibur. Let us know what you think after you shoot it some.
Take care
Oncebitten
Bicycle tire Wood Bow Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't had a chance to pull the trigger. Will try it this weekend. Bought it with the intention of modifying it for greater speed. You did a wonderful job on the stock!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well a couple of pics of the Vixen2 after matrix limbs, S5 dampeners modified for DM rubber baby buggy bumpers, cheek rest, trigger, Guardian ADF, Blacktail string & Ravin Scope. Special thanks to JoePA for help and encouragement. Vixen2 purchased off eBay.

Flower Plant Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork

Plant Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts