Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another 45 acres, adjacent and to the south east of my current lease became available this past month and I was lucky enough to pick it up. This is year number three on this ranch and I hope with the addition of this land, I'll have better access and better opportunities.

Base Map All WTrails2020.jpg

The green lines are the trails we've opened up since 2018 and that's about all that will be done here.

The new 45 area has a good spring turkey activity so I'll give that a try in April. It has a fresh water pond, a protein feeder, a large corn feeder inside a food plot that's just under an acre. I helped get that plot going and it's well on it's way to being an excellent stand of WTI clover. I spent last weekend cutting some spotty grass and tilling places where the native grass won out over the clover last year. The prior hunter didn't spray for weeds and waited too long to cut it so it didn't do as well as it could have. I'm happy it's in good shape and this warm Feb. weather has been the perfect time to do some cleanup. With that done I put out the mix of fertilizer TAMU said the soil needed. No lime needed but a little sulfur, a little nitrogen, some potassium and phosphorus. About 100 lbs in total. Now I need some rain and warm temps over the next 45 days and it will be time to seed those newly tilled spots.

Base Map All WTrails2020V2.jpg

Sorry for the poor illustration but I think it will help tell the tail.....

- The red shapes are the existing food plots. There are three.
- White shapes are ladder stands. Three are existing and two came with the New 45.
- Yellow shapes are climber trees.
- Green shapes are ground blinds and I've put two up in the New 45.

I have a Primos ground blind setup in the NE area of the New 45. It's a SV180 and it's in front of an old fallen tree/brush pile which made a great background for a blind setup. I have it about 20 yards south of an open feeder (not fenced in) so it gets visited by all of the corn feeding birds and animals including hogs.

S4HogFdrGBP.jpg

I got in it this morning about 4am. It was 40ish out and foggy. The morning seemed perfect but there were no hogs today. I did hear a Tom fire off as the fist owl hooted at about 6am. He entertained me for about two hours and was pretty vocal. I bet he gobbled 50 times. After sunup there were a nice assortment of small birds in the brush around the blind and I really enjoy watching them. And they had no idea I was a foot or so away. The see-though affect these Primos SV blinds offers is well worth their cost for how and where I hunt.

This is a view out of the front window at 8:45 when the fog had started to lift. Yes, it was a very warm mid-Feb morning at almost 50. Temps are typically 10-20 degrees cooler this time of year.
S4HogFdrGBOutView.jpg

I'll be back here to try to catch the hogs feeding on the free corn. There's a pretty good chance I'll have a run in and I'll try my best to turn that into backstraps and coyote food and record it with the 4K Pro.

More to come!

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
The stand site looks good. I have no doubt you'll get those hogs attention too.;) In your illustration is the bottom half of that 35 acres sorta like a bedding area since you didn't add stands or blinds there? Congrats on obtaining those other 45 acres too. :)

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stand site looks good. I have no doubt you'll get those hogs attention too.;) In your illustration is the bottom half of that 35 acres sorta like a bedding area since you didn't add stands or blinds there? Congrats on obtaining those other 45 acres too. :)
Thanks and it is, yes. A mix of bedding and transition that comes off a hill (the top half of the 35) and down to the main creek that passes through that section. I've been toying with putting a protein feeder there or possibly on the south side of that same creek.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks nice so what are you feeding for the protein, what type of feed.
I've used protein pellet products from Purina (antler max) and Producer's Pride. Both are 20%. There are two protein feeders out now and I may add a third. We have corn feeders also in each of the three fenced in food plots plus two stand alone. ALL this food should make this 80 acres a deer mecca ;)

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Kudos, Rich!

Reactions: TX_RDXguy

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made a trip up this evening to get some cameras up, replace a feeder battery, swapped a ground blind out and worked on my Turkey blind setup. Got 95% of that done and the property manager showed up with two rigs hauling in bridge material. o_O

Twenty 55' to 60' reclaimed light poles sit in the New 45. We plan to build bridges to span two feeder creeks this spring which makes my two sections much easier to travel through, especially after a hard rain. I've been walking and too often wading through these creeks for the past two years. No, we don't need that many poles to build these bridges but they were very affordable and we had to have two trucks haul them in so we have a few extra. I'll post some pictures of this as we get it underway. More work.... :)

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hogs are hitting the feeder setup but not predictably...... YET!

021620@S4HogFdr2.jpg

I had a "hall pass'' from my gal last night so I headed up to do a little night hunting. Sat down at 4;30 pm and stepped out again at 8am. No luck what so ever. These hogs live to the east of the property I lease so it's hit and miss on their routine. Eventually I'll catch up with them.

PigHuntS4.jpg

I've been hunting with the ATN scope and have a 940 nm lamp for it. The 940 light is invisible to warm blooded animals but IR devices can see it. Perfect, except for the red LED emitter that produces that light. It's bright enough at 30 yards a hog will see it and I've been busted. I've improved it with a tail switch that controls the emitter which is better but still visible and the last thing I want is a light on my xbow that hog will see.

Day2_030119.jpg

Plan B. My new approach is to put the IR lamp outside the blind with a remote control. Enter the Slow Glow IRG system which is a All-In-One system with a solar battery recharger. It's a simple "built for this" product that's pretty well done.

SlowGlow IRG.jpg

The IR lamp and motion sensor mount outside the main box where the battery and wiring harness live.

The system does have a remote control and you can get red or green lamp setups vs IR. The slow on approach seems logical for the visible spectrum systems (red and green).

I mounted the system on a tpost about 2o yards to the east of my ground blind which put's it about 20 yards south of the feeder. Pictures so far show no interest in the emitter from the hogs so we may have a winner here.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The hogs are hitting the feeder setup but not predictably...... YET!

View attachment 167292

I had a "hall pass'' from my gal last night so I headed up to do a little night hunting. Sat down at 4;30 pm and stepped out again at 8am. No luck what so ever. These hogs live to the east of the property I lease so it's hit and miss on their routine. Eventually I'll catch up with them.

View attachment 167322

I've been hunting with the ATN scope and have a 940 nm lamp for it. The 940 light is invisible to warm blooded animals but IR devices can see it. Perfect, except for the red LED emitter that produces that light. It's bright enough at 30 yards a hog will see it and I've been busted. I've improved it with a tail switch that controls the emitter which is better but still visible and the last thing I want is a light on my xbow that hog will see.

View attachment 167320

Plan B. My new approach is to put the IR lamp outside the blind with a remote control. Enter the Slow Glow IRG system which is a All-In-One system with a solar battery recharger. It's a simple "built for this" product that's pretty well done.

View attachment 167306

The IR lamp and motion sensor mount outside the main box where the battery and wiring harness live.

The system does have a remote control and you can get red or green lamp setups vs IR. The slow on approach seems logical for the visible spectrum systems (red and green).

I mounted the system on a tpost about 2o yards to the east of my ground blind which put's it about 20 yards south of the feeder. Pictures so far show no interest in the emitter from the hogs so we may have a winner here.
Kill every last one of them leave no survivors

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you've followed the New 35 thread you know I have water issues to tend with. Feeder creeks and a main creek that flash fill and prevent access to parts of the p
Kill every last one of them leave no survivors
Amen Looney! I walked up a tail on the west side of the property today where I would typically ride my eBike. About 50 yards of it was torn to holly heck like a disc had passed through. Thank you grubb and worm eating hog nation! :mad:

Reactions: lonny996

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you've followed the New 35 thread you know I have water issues to tend with. Feeder creeks and a main creek that flash fill and prevent access to parts of the p

Amen Looney! I walked up a tail on the west side of the property today where I would typically ride my eBike. About 50 yards of it was torn to holly heck like a disc had passed through. Thank you grubb and worm eating hog nation! :mad:
We have none in my area yet. Until some dummy decides its a good idea to introduce them for their hunting pleasure then its all over for us

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you've followed the New 35 thread you know I have water issues to deal with and some that can spoil hunting for days. Feeder creeks and a main creek that will flash fill in hours and prevent access to key parts of the property. Not good. I've been using waders to cross when I can and some days it's just too deep.

A partial solution started taking shape last week and on Monday a truck load of stadium poles arrived. These are telephone poles but were used for lighting and are 55-60 footers and in pretty nice shape.
55-60.jpg

The ides is to span the feeder creek and build something like this.....
Bridge3.jpg

That started like this.....
Bridge1.jpg

With the help of the land owner, we're moving 4 of these poles from A to B which is about 300 yards and in open field. From B to C is another story. It's over 2x and almost 100% heavy woods and one ditch to cross.

ABCMap.jpg

I stripped the cooper wire, steel straps and tags off four poles and we got them from A to B earlier this week.

B to C may happen next week. The ditch we cross isn't big but it's deep where we can pull these poles through. I stacked the ditch on this path with hardwood sections and I think we'll make it. Part of the way will be dragging the poles, part will be pushing the poles and the last piece will be pushing and pulling with a HD winch.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you've followed the New 35 thread you know I have water issues to deal with and some that can spoil hunting for days. Feeder creeks and a main creek that will flash fill in hours and prevent access to key parts of the property. Not good. I've been using waders to cross when I can and some days it's just too deep.

A partial solution started taking shape last week and on Monday a truck load of stadium poles arrived. These are telephone poles but were used for lighting and are 55-60 footers and in pretty nice shape.
View attachment 167346

The ides is to span the feeder creek and build something like this.....
View attachment 167408

That started like this.....
View attachment 167410

With the help of the land owner, we're moving 4 of these poles from A to B which is about 300 yards and in open field. From B to C is another story. It's over 2x and almost 100% heavy woods and one ditch to cross.

View attachment 167406

I stripped the cooper wire, steel straps and tags off four poles and we got them from A to B earlier this week.

B to C may happen next week. The ditch we cross isn't big but it's deep where we can pull these poles through. I stacked the ditch on this path with hardwood sections and I think we'll make it. Part of the way will be dragging the poles, part will be pushing the poles and the last piece will be pushing and pulling with a HD winch.
That makes the bike riding a little easier unless of course you want to go Dukes of Hazard style

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The last task of the week was to get up in a big tree and see if it's a tree stand candidate and I think it is. I successfully setup this strap on ladder without falling. At 25' there's a nice view and a shooting lane to a trail at about 40 yards, so I think I'm going to give it a try.

Deer traffic is often from the north and east so the NE location will at lease give me some knowledge and possibly be a good hunting stand.

The Tree.jpg

The ladder is a sectional and it's pretty secure when strapped on.

RESectional23.jpg

At 60 something I don't bounce well but I didn't have any real issues working a path up the side of this big old tree.
2nd Tree CU.jpg

At the top, the view is excellent and I think I can hang a stand here.
2nd Tree WLoc.jpg

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The last task of the week was to get up in a big tree and see if it's a tree stand candidate and I think it is. I successfully setup this strap on ladder without falling. At 25' there's a nice view and a shooting lane to a trail at about 40 yards, so I think I'm going to give it a try.

Deer traffic is often from the north and east so the NE location will at lease give me some knowledge and possibly be a good hunting stand.

View attachment 167418

The ladder is a sectional and it's pretty secure when strapped on.

View attachment 167412

At 60 something I don't bounce well but I didn't have any real issues working a path up the side of this big old tree.
View attachment 167416

At the top, the view is excellent and I think I can hang a stand here.
View attachment 167420
well hidden nice

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That makes the bike riding a little easier unless of course you want to go Dukes of Hazard style
It gives me some dependable entry points when the wind direction changes as well. If I can get a north entry I'd be golden and I'm working on that.

Reactions: lonny996

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When shooting from that height, how much does it affect the poi?
I'm sure it affects it some but I'll be using the Sierra3 which has angle compensation (AMR). If it looks like a great spot, I'll take some practice shots with the ATN scope and figure it out.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun
1 - 20 of 201 Posts