Crossbow Nation banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Did you figure out the water pump challenges?
Not yet Tom. The system is the Land Owners and he's been in touch with the manufacturer with the issue. I suspect it's an air leak on the intake side of the pump. This is a high pressure, high volume setup. I'm confident we'll figure it out but in the meantime I need mother nature to help this food plot survive the next 60 days. We did get 2" of rain this past week which is great for July. I'll cross my fingers and hope for more of that. Maybe the pump issue will get resolved in the meantime?

Reactions: GDog-Rick

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #202 (Edited)
The issue seems to be in the supply side from the pond to the pump. We can get it primed but after it runs for about 10 seconds we get air from somewhere. We tested it with a short, straight and level supply line and it works. We will have to redesign that this winter.

The first "fall-like" weather front come through Thursday night. Temps dropped into the 50s and we got 1.5" of rain which helped the clover plot once again. The WTI Imperial Clover has survived the heat of July and August and we got just enough rain to keep it from burning up. Just good luck this year. We will work on the Water Wagon this winter so it be ready to roll next summer to help through the dry spells.

Bucks have shed their velvet and I'm seeing some good sign that there will be bucks in the area come Oct. 3rd. I hope they venture out in daylight.......

Sorry for the poor picture quality. The Cuddy cameras send lower res. pics and these are black flash which doesn't have much reach. This is the big fenced clover plot where I have this corn feeder and the protein feeder in the next picture.

These are 3 of the 7 from the above picture. Good bucks with potential if they can survive another 3-4 years.

20 some days until opener arrives and it looks like temps will be cooler than normal and ideal for deer hunting. Bring it on!

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Looking great, good luck TX_RDXguy!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Not fair using Guided Missiles on those Poor Little Texas Bucks Rich!!! Looks great buddy.
Well, your a product of Uncle Sam Todd. It's so hard to change old habits.

Ya, a 9 mega ton warhead might be overkill for a broadhead and I will admit, it was hard as hell getting this built with out the neighbors knowing......

Reactions: dynamo61 and bofos

·
Registered
42 Posts
What a major project!!! You are already "reaping" the benefits with major upside potential. A hunter's mecca for sure.The ideas and effort you have put into your project are impressive, and motivational. Makes all my activities seem pretty meager.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
What a major project!!! You are already "reaping" the benefits with major upside potential. A hunter's mecca for sure.The ideas and effort you have put into your project are impressive, and motivational. Makes all my activities seem pretty meager.
It's really been a great opportunity and I'm lucky to be able to do what we have done so far. Like you and many that read these forums, we've got the hunting bug and do what we do out of love for the sport. This has been a huge investment in time, a lot of planning, a lot of work and a great deal learned in the process. Let's hope the upside is a great hunting experience this fall and winter.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
I needed to run up to the ranch and replace camera batteries this morning so I took a few minutes to check the main food plot. The clover looks great for this time of the year and the deer are eating it. The red and white oak acorns were a boom crop last year and it looks like the crop this year will be much smaller. Should be interesting to see how much of this clover gets eaten.

Not a great picture but you can see the corn feeder on the left side and the smaller protein feeder far to the right.

I filled the protein feeder on the 18th and added another 50 lbs on the 25th. Today it was pretty much empty with just a handful or two left in the bottom. I should have guessed the buffet was running low when I got this picture last night.....

I'm happy to see all the attraction to the protein this year. I guess the changes are paying off. I had 3 bags stashed so I added those and will get back tomorrow and fill it again.

Six days and counting!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #212 (Edited)
It's been about 6 months of looking at camera pictures of deer on this property and today I got close to 3 of the regulars and saw one with HORNS! No, not any of the target bucks but deer that live here, which is a good thing.

This doe and her twins (doe and buck fawns) are regulars at the feeders and in the food plots. Good to see them up closed and maybe that button buck will be a trophy some day?

I also saw a 2.5 year old 8 point that someday may be a good shooter. He crossed the trail about 20 yards to the south and I only saw him for a couple seconds but it was in daylight!

My stand is one I call the "double" because it has two sets of ladders on it. I inherited it and it must be at least a 25 footer. It's high for sure and I it needs one more ladder support about 3/4 the way up. Overall it's sturdy and pretty well setup. Even has a HD rain cover! It's tucked into the woods about 15 yards, close to the pond and not far from the food plot.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
It's been about 6 months of looking at camera pictures of deer on this property and today I got close to 3 of the regulars and saw one with HORNS! No, not any of the target bucks but deer that live here, which is a good thing.

Hi Rich, your video is set to "Private", just FYI.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)
Hi Rich, your video is set to "Private", just FYI.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
George
Try it again George. I'm still learning how to "manage" youtube vidoes......
Are ya hang'n out for a bruiser though?
I'm looking for a legal "Spike" (one antler unbranched) or the right 3.5 year old or older buck. A 150+ class buck would be great. Does will get free range here until the doe to buck ratio get more balanced.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, your a product of Uncle Sam Todd. It's so hard to change old habits.

Ya, a 9 mega ton warhead might be overkill for a broadhead and I will admit, it was hard as hell getting this built with out the neighbors knowing......

View attachment 184271
Don’t drop another wrench Rich. Last time it happened in 81 we had to go find a missile!!! 😀.

nice picture

·
Registered
215 Posts
Another 45 acres, adjacent and to the south east of my current lease became available this past month and I was lucky enough to pick it up. This is year number three on this ranch and I hope with the addition of this land, I'll have better access and better opportunities.

View attachment 166758
The green lines are the trails we've opened up since 2018 and that's about all that will be done here.

The new 45 area has a good spring turkey activity so I'll give that a try in April. It has a fresh water pond, a protein feeder, a large corn feeder inside a food plot that's just under an acre. I helped get that plot going and it's well on it's way to being an excellent stand of WTI clover. I spent last weekend cutting some spotty grass and tilling places where the native grass won out over the clover last year. The prior hunter didn't spray for weeds and waited too long to cut it so it didn't do as well as it could have. I'm happy it's in good shape and this warm Feb. weather has been the perfect time to do some cleanup. With that done I put out the mix of fertilizer TAMU said the soil needed. No lime needed but a little sulfur, a little nitrogen, some potassium and phosphorus. About 100 lbs in total. Now I need some rain and warm temps over the next 45 days and it will be time to seed those newly tilled spots.

View attachment 166764

Sorry for the poor illustration but I think it will help tell the tail.....

• The red shapes are the existing food plots. There are three.
  • White shapes are ladder stands. Three are existing and two came with the New 45.
  • Yellow shapes are climber trees.
  • Green shapes are ground blinds and I've put two up in the New 45.
I have a Primos ground blind setup in the NE area of the New 45. It's a SV180 and it's in front of an old fallen tree/brush pile which made a great background for a blind setup. I have it about 20 yards south of an open feeder (not fenced in) so it gets visited by all of the corn feeding birds and animals including hogs.

View attachment 166766

I got in it this morning about 4am. It was 40ish out and foggy. The morning seemed perfect but there were no hogs today. I did hear a Tom fire off as the fist owl hooted at about 6am. He entertained me for about two hours and was pretty vocal. I bet he gobbled 50 times. After sunup there were a nice assortment of small birds in the brush around the blind and I really enjoy watching them. And they had no idea I was a foot or so away. The see-though affect these Primos SV blinds offers is well worth their cost for how and where I hunt.

This is a view out of the front window at 8:45 when the fog had started to lift. Yes, it was a very warm mid-Feb morning at almost 50. Temps are typically 10-20 degrees cooler this time of year.
View attachment 166768

I'll be back here to try to catch the hogs feeding on the free corn. There's a pretty good chance I'll have a run in and I'll try my best to turn that into backstraps and coyote food and record it with the 4K Pro.

More to come!
Do you like the 4k pro I have that on my rifle now and I love it did you upgrade to the mill dot reticle

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Do you like the 4k pro I have that on my rifle now and I love it did you upgrade to the mill dot reticle
I do like it and the combination of Day/Night with high quality recording is excellent. I've got the ABL for ranging so I'm fine with the basic red cross-hair reticle. It's a BIG scope combo no doubt which is tolerable but considering the "bang for the buck", it's a bargain. I wonder how long it will be before ATN or ???? perfects a smaller version with an integrated laser.

201 - 220 of 229 Posts