Crossbow Nation banner

221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Try it again George. I'm still learning how to "manage" youtube vidoes......

I'm looking for a legal "Spike" (one antler unbranched) or the right 3.5 year old or older buck. A 150+ class buck would be great. Does will get free range here until the doe to buck ratio get more balanced.
Video works fine now, thanks Rich.
Mama looked you right in the eye toward the end of the video. ;)

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Video works fine now, thanks Rich.
Mama looked you right in the eye toward the end of the video. ;)
She did for sure. No panic though and they all came back right at dark.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
I've had a protein feeder on the west side of my property for about 6 months now with hope it would attract deer and develop a travel pattern. I have a nice ladder stand we put up the first year that just doesn't get much traffic so we moved it about 60 yards this spring and put it closer to the creek.

My idea was to put a protein feeder close by that would attract deer. The deer traffic has been slow but about a week ago a group of hogs found it and moved in. As you can see, there are a few big boys that can reach the nozzles. They would get to the feeder about 5-6 pm and stay all night until 4-5 am and repeat that.

Of course that wasn't my idea of a good deer management plan so I decided to mix it up a bit.

VIDEO LINK:

A Texas QTip OR "How to teach a hog a life lesson."

You can see in the video the EVO-X arrow and Grim Reaper WTE worked well.

As the way things go, the feeder was emptied later that night so I think it's time to move it and fence it in.

Reactions: dynamo61 and bofos

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Great vid, Rich!!!! Would ya consider catch'n those buggars in one of those pen traps I've seen? They're gonna take over the entire property, aren't they???

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow Rich. You really have a wonderful setup. Great terrain and habitat, a target rich environment, and the ingenuity to keep experimenting and improving. Well done!

I love watching wildlife and never get tired of figuring out the puzzle.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Great vid, Rich!!!! Would ya consider catch'n those buggars in one of those pen traps I've seen? They're gonna take over the entire property, aren't they???
It could be done but the cost to do it is significant and right now there is no market for the meat so disposal would be another effort. I'm not sure that taking 20 or 100 pigs from my area would do much if the surrounding areas don't do the same. The biggest challenge is the adjacent state refuge which is 1,000 plus acres that the pigs have with little pressure. Some day the meat may have value and then it might be worthwhile.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Wow Rich. You really have a wonderful setup. Great terrain and habitat, a target rich environment, and the ingenuity to keep experimenting and improving. Well done!

I love watching wildlife and never get tired of figuring out the puzzle.
Thanks ATT. I believe that's the main motivation for me as well. Day and night time spent in the woods hunting is good therapy. Doe have a free pass for at least a year or two as we continue to work on habitat improvement and understand the doe to buck population better.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It could be done but the cost to do it is significant and right now there is no market for the meat so disposal would be another effort. I'm not sure that taking 20 or 100 pigs from my area would do much if the surrounding areas don't do the same. The biggest challenge is the adjacent state refuge which is 1,000 plus acres that the pigs have with little pressure. Some day the meat may have value and then it might be worthwhile.
Ya, that's not good....

221 - 229 of 229 Posts