Crossbow Nation banner

221 - 240 of 276 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Try it again George. I'm still learning how to "manage" youtube vidoes......

I'm looking for a legal "Spike" (one antler unbranched) or the right 3.5 year old or older buck. A 150+ class buck would be great. Does will get free range here until the doe to buck ratio get more balanced.
Video works fine now, thanks Rich.
Mama looked you right in the eye toward the end of the video. ;)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Video works fine now, thanks Rich.
Mama looked you right in the eye toward the end of the video. ;)
She did for sure. No panic though and they all came back right at dark.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
I've had a protein feeder on the west side of my property for about 6 months now with hope it would attract deer and develop a travel pattern. I have a nice ladder stand we put up the first year that just doesn't get much traffic so we moved it about 60 yards this spring and put it closer to the creek.

My idea was to put a protein feeder close by that would attract deer. The deer traffic has been slow but about a week ago a group of hogs found it and moved in. As you can see, there are a few big boys that can reach the nozzles. They would get to the feeder about 5-6 pm and stay all night until 4-5 am and repeat that.

Of course that wasn't my idea of a good deer management plan so I decided to mix it up a bit.

VIDEO LINK:

A Texas QTip OR "How to teach a hog a life lesson."

You can see in the video the EVO-X arrow and Grim Reaper WTE worked well.

As the way things go, the feeder was emptied later that night so I think it's time to move it and fence it in.

Reactions: dynamo61 and bofos

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
2,538 Posts
Great vid, Rich!!!! Would ya consider catch'n those buggars in one of those pen traps I've seen? They're gonna take over the entire property, aren't they???

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow Rich. You really have a wonderful setup. Great terrain and habitat, a target rich environment, and the ingenuity to keep experimenting and improving. Well done!

I love watching wildlife and never get tired of figuring out the puzzle.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Great vid, Rich!!!! Would ya consider catch'n those buggars in one of those pen traps I've seen? They're gonna take over the entire property, aren't they???
It could be done but the cost to do it is significant and right now there is no market for the meat so disposal would be another effort. I'm not sure that taking 20 or 100 pigs from my area would do much if the surrounding areas don't do the same. The biggest challenge is the adjacent state refuge which is 1,000 plus acres that the pigs have with little pressure. Some day the meat may have value and then it might be worthwhile.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Wow Rich. You really have a wonderful setup. Great terrain and habitat, a target rich environment, and the ingenuity to keep experimenting and improving. Well done!

I love watching wildlife and never get tired of figuring out the puzzle.
Thanks ATT. I believe that's the main motivation for me as well. Day and night time spent in the woods hunting is good therapy. Doe have a free pass for at least a year or two as we continue to work on habitat improvement and understand the doe to buck population better.

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
2,538 Posts
It could be done but the cost to do it is significant and right now there is no market for the meat so disposal would be another effort. I'm not sure that taking 20 or 100 pigs from my area would do much if the surrounding areas don't do the same. The biggest challenge is the adjacent state refuge which is 1,000 plus acres that the pigs have with little pressure. Some day the meat may have value and then it might be worthwhile.
Ya, that's not good....

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 · (Edited)
Get some popcorn.......

As November arrives and my early season hunts here in Texas are behind me, I've been thinking about the encounters on this property. The game camera pictures from October set strong expectations with pictures of a few very promising bucks setting the tone for exciting pre-rut hunting. So far I've been pretty disappointed with my deer encounters of just does and two very young bucks. I could have 3 does in the freezer right now but does get a pass here for at least one more year and those experiences gave me some hunting practice which is always enjoyable. The bachelor groups have now broken up and the all night protein buffets they and the 3 Musketeers pictured below were enjoying have ended. BTW, for almost a month the bucks and does were eating 20 lbs of protein a night from this one feeder.

This time of the year I don't move around the property looking for scrapes and rubs so any evidence of bucks and daytime activity comes from game cameras and my hunting/scouting experiences.

Well, from my previous whining about my poor early season encounters you can tell I'm leading up to something. Last Thursday I was hunting a woodline edge near a fresh water pond which is about 100 yards from the clover patch. I got settled into my ladder stand about 3:30 and began day dreaming about things to come ;). Well, it was an afternoon of birds, a squirrel that one day will pay for his annoying alarm calls and that's about it....... Darkness starts to roll in and just as I'm about to pack up and climb down I see a deer approach, then two and finally a third. A mature doe and her two yearlings were coming from the clover patch to the woods, probably heading to the deep woods corn feeder I see them at every day (pictures). So I'm now trapped for a bit and watch these three deer as they get closer, jump the fence and begin to head into the woods. The doe was the last to hop the fenced and as she did I heard a sounder of pigs start fighting over something. Probably the scratch grain I toss out for the local turkeys. I have only one open feeder that pigs can get to and I don't feed the pigs from May on hoping they will find food and entertainment somewhere else and this year it's been reasonably effective. Today they found the scratch grains and were all in it and it sounded like a good size group.

That ticked off the doe and she began blowing at the pigs and I thought WTH???? This day's hunt was over, and it was. She moves off with her two, I slip down and out under darkness and get back to my truck to find a dead battery..... Yes, I'm off the trail a bit so it was midnight before I finally got jumped and made it home.

Saturday was Halloween and we had some fun stuff to do at home with the kids and their kiddos. Our grand daughters are sure fun at 6 months.....

So I was pretty POed at the hogs visit and thought I'd get some revenge so at about 4pm I headed back out to hog hunt and teach that group a lesson. I got out there about 5 pm, tossed out some more scratch and a little B&J and dropped off my gear at the ground blind. I headed back to park the truck, get ready and walk back in to hunt some hogs. Fast forward.... and I did st all night and only heard them way off in the distance. It was Halloween night and maybe the "somebody" off in the not so far distance who was celebrating by shooting off firearms, setting off fire works and what sounded like tannerite, may have changed their plans to come visit my buffet.

Here's the silver lining to my last few days. As I walked in on Sat. evening I follow a path that takes me to the crest of a small hill and from the hill with the cover of some trees I can easily look down to the clover food plot and see if any deer or turkeys are in it. Sure enough two does were down their grazing on the clover. In a matter of just a few seconds a mature buck jumps the north fence and proceeds to trot around checking out the two does. They did the buck / doe dance for a bit and he finally pressured them off the plot into the woods, which he returned to as well. So that's the first sign of pre-rut I've seen in Texas, which really came at a good time and recharges my optimism.

On top of that, this morning I get this picture set.

This is a new buck to my area and may be one I've just missed. Hope he stays around......

So the moral of my story are three points: 1. Is to always "Believe" and take the time to hunt. 2. It's the experience we go through that makes the memory and it's the memory that turns into a little piece of history for each of us. 3. A Lithium battery booster is a well spent $100.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 · (Edited)
Time for a few updates.

2020 Texas Hunting Season - Overall it was good. The new 45 acre property has much greater potential than my 35. More deer live there currently, access is much easier and today it's got greater potential. There were 4 regular mature bucks here, 3 others that are a year or two away and several promising 2.5 year olds. During the rut I had 3 more shooter class bucks spend a couple days in the area which is good to see. All in all, very good potential and motivation to keep working on it.

If at some point I can get road access to the north 35 acre area, it could be developed and managed into a great spot as well. I spent 95% of my time this year hunting the new 45 acre area. The creek was high all season so the boat ride to and from the 35 just wasn't attractive. The deer traffic captured by game cameras there was way off as well and much of that I believe had to do with no food attraction. The river was too high to get an ATV up there to disc. and spray so the two food plots suffered. Boating in and hand carrying 600 lbs of corn 50 lbs at a time 200 yards up hill happened only twice. Hopefully that will change this coming year with new access from the north. BTW, the bridge was a major value factor. No more wading the feeder creek and carrying a 100 lb eBike across it.

I've been pretty busy enjoying the deer season and getting some great hunts in. No deer taken from the 35 or the new 45 but I did pass on a dozen doe opportunities and some nice young bucks like this one.

The turkey population is booming. I have two groups that roost not far from my clover field. About 35 in one and 16 or so in the other. The smaller group has 4-5 mature Toms in it so April looks promising.

One of the changes I made this fall was adding a protein feeder inside the food plot closer to the area I felt the deer would feel safe entering the food plot. Protein consumption here has far surpassed my expectations. From mid-Sept through Oct. I was feeding 20-25 lbs a day. Right now I have about 10 bucks hitting it and as many does and yearlings. They are eating 10-15 lbs a day so a 300 lb feeder has a 20-30 day fill cycle. That's too often to do from my POV so last week I added a second 300 lb protein feeder. Not a great picture here but you can see the two protein feeders on the left and in the background where the turkeys are is a corn feeder. The green areas are surviving clover. The area right in front of this camera that's brown will get completely redone this year and replanted with a perennial. Probably clover.

This .8 of an acre will get bumped to just over an acre this spring. The camera above sits in the NE corner of the food plot looking SW.

256' of fence (yellow line) gets moved and we add about 64'. I'm sore already.....

Last Monday I dropped and relocated a 21' ladder stand from the 35 to the wooded area just off the NW corner of this food plot. That could be a dynamite evening stand next fall.

Pigs are here of course and last Sunday my son in law took his first with a crossbow. He's officially on the board and 203 lbs ahead of me. I'll try to close the gap on that tomorrow.

BTW, did I share the Texas Style QTip video? It's a hog harvest.....

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Time for a few updates.

2020 Texas Hunting Season - Overall it was good. The new 45 acre property has much greater potential than my 35. More deer live there currently, access is much easier and today it's got greater potential. There were 4 regular mature bucks here, 3 others that are a year or two away and several promising 2.5 year olds. During the rut I had 3 more shooter class bucks spend a couple days in the area which is good to see. All in all, very good potential and motivation to keep working on it.

If at some point I can get road access to the north 35 acre area, it could be developed and managed into a great spot as well. I spent 95% of my time this year hunting the new 45 acre area. The creek was high all season so the boat ride to and from the 35 just wasn't attractive. The deer traffic captured by game cameras there was way off as well and much of that I believe had to do with no food attraction. The river was too high to get an ATV up there to disc. and spray so the two food plots suffered. Boating in and hand carrying 600 lbs of corn 50 lbs at a time 200 yards up hill happened only twice. Hopefully that will change this coming year with new access from the north. BTW, the bridge was a major value factor. No more wading the feeder creek and carrying a 100 lb eBike across it.

I've been pretty busy enjoying the deer season and getting some great hunts in. No deer taken from the 35 or the new 45 but I did pass on a dozen doe opportunities and some nice young bucks like this one.

The turkey population is booming. I have two groups that roost not far from my clover field. About 35 in one and 16 or so in the other. The smaller group has 4-5 mature Toms in it so April looks promising.

One of the changes I made this fall was adding a protein feeder inside the food plot closer to the area I felt the deer would feel safe entering the food plot. Protein consumption here has far surpassed my expectations. From mid-Sept through Oct. I was feeding 20-25 lbs a day. Right now I have about 10 bucks hitting it and as many does and yearlings. They are eating 10-15 lbs a day so a 300 lb feeder has a 20-30 day fill cycle. That's too often to do from my POV so last week I added a second 300 lb protein feeder. Not a great picture here but you can see the two protein feeders on the left and in the background where the turkeys are is a corn feeder. The green areas are surviving clover. The area right in front of this camera that's brown will get completely redone this year and replanted with a perennial. Probably clover.

This .8 of an acre will get bumped to just over an acre this spring. The camera above sits in the NE corner of the food plot looking SW.

256' of fence (yellow line) gets moved and we add about 64'. I'm sore already.....

Last Monday I dropped and relocated a 18' ladder stand from the 35 to the wooded area just off the NW corner of this food plot. That could be a dynamite evening stand next fall.

Pigs are here of course and last Sunday my son in law took his first with a crossbow. He's officially on the board and 203 lbs ahead of me. I'll try to close the gap on that tomorrow.

BTW, did I share the Texas Style QTip video? It's a hog harvest.....
Looking good, TX_RDXguy, thanks for sharing.
You have done so much in a short time this past year, kudos to you.
Congrats to the S-i-L.
Looks like a happy hunter, nice bonding experience I'm sure!

·
Registered
464 Posts
That is a big hog, I have the same hoist i imagine that hog was pushing its limits lol
You should invite hog hunters for like $150 a hog and let them help you out with the problem and make a few bucks ( if you are allowed to do that)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have no idea how I missed this thread in the past, but, I'm sure glad I found it....👍 Brought back memories of growing up on my father's lease, reminders of dealing with my own land and current leases, and I also picked up a thing or two......tremendous!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
OK, the game is on with my son in law. We will hunt one section of the property were these pigs can be taken pretty easily with minimum deer disturbance. It's an easy, quiet entry and exit.

• Day or night hunting is fine.
  • Game taken has to be weighed when taken with photo evidence.
  • There are two ground blinds, two tree stands available and stalking is allowed.
  • The season ends on March 28th.

Three categories:
1. Total weight
2. Most hogs
3. Biggest (heaviest) hog.

The winner is the guy taking at least 2 of the three categories and can be the honorable "PigMan" of the lease for 2021. I see a PM Tshirt in the works here.

I did not get out to hunt on Monday due to rain but I was back out the following Friday (01-22-21) and leveled the playing field a bit. I got ion the blind at 5pm, got settled and it was dark by 6:30. About 7pm I hear something to my left that's close (10-15 yards), sounding almost like a deer blowing, followed by pig groans and growls. It's a lone boar and I guess he smelled me or he saw something else but he came in quick, blew and growled a bit and kept on trucking. Of course that made me wonder WTH did I do to alarm him? Hunting......

For the next hour and a half I listen to the coyotes and owls going off in the creek bottom. Somewhere out there a dog was running loose barking his way to where ever he was going. Probably hot on a deer or pig scent.

At 8:48 I hear pig noise to my right and through the surround view window I see the dark shape of a hog coming to the corn bait. I pull open the window, lean into the xbow, click on the video and take a look. A nice sow had come in and was head down into the corn. Off in the distance I hear more hogs and decide to take this one before the sounder arrives and I have pigs all over the place. At 14 yards the shot was easy and I rolled her over.

After going back to my truck, retrieving my hoist and driving up, there were still hogs in the area. I was able to sneak back to the blind, reload the bow, open the window and take down a young straggler. That was only a 20 yard shot.

My night of hunting was done pretty early but it was midnight before I took care of the pigs and made it home.

#1 - 246 lbs total weight has me leading
#2 - I took a 195.9 lb sow and a 50.1 lb little guy that I literally bumped into so I have 2 hogs to lead
#3 - My SIL has the biggest hog at 203.4 lbs

It's much easier for me to get away to night hunt so I'll try to keep the hunts as equal as I can. I'll try.....

Hogmageddon "Mano E Mano" has begun......

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
...The winner is the guy taking at least 2 of the three categories and can be the honorable "PigMan" of the lease for 2021. I see a PM Tshirt in the works here.
... Off in the distance I hear more hogs and decide to take this one before the sounder arrives and I have pigs all over the place. At 14 yards the shot was easy and I rolled her over.
Nice, clean shot.
Put her down real quick!
Sounds like a great contest, may the best Pig Man win.

t-shirt-pink-floyd-animals-pigs-rock-music-white.jpg

221 - 240 of 276 Posts