Crossbow Nation banner

241 - 260 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
dynamo61 I have hunted them with , rifle, shotgun , handgun, compound bow, crossbow and spear with dogs. Never thought about it . close range head shot with archery equipment no tracking its brilliant!

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
dynamo61 I have hunted them with , rifle, shotgun , handgun, compound bow, crossbow and spear with dogs. Never thought about it . close range head shot with archery equipment no tracking its brilliant!
Spear!
Now that is what i call hunting!
Too flippin' cool, Slayer62!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I try to go to Florida every year . This year obviously has been tough with covid restrictions. My job would require a covid test and two week quarantine if i went. The dogs catch them and you move in with the spear. I stuck the spear in the ribs did not throw it. it is really like a knife with a 2 foot handle on it. I did that when i was 57 . Next is the knife. the dogs do the hard work but your heart races when you are 2 feet from a boar that is fighting with a few dogs. Between that and the monster swamp buggy its definitely cool.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I try to go to Florida every year . This year obviously has been tough with covid restrictions. My job would require a covid test and two week quarantine if i went. The dogs catch them and you move in with the spear. I stuck the spear in the ribs did not throw it. it is really like a knife with a 2 foot handle on it. I did that when i was 57 . Next is the knife. the dogs do the hard work but your heart races when you are 2 feet from a boar that is fighting with a few dogs. Between that and the monster swamp buggy its definitely cool.
Hate to hijack TX_RDXguys thread so i will stop after this comment.
You got a lot of kahoonas going after an enraged boar with a knife, kudos to you!
I would at least use one of these (been thinking of getting one cuz they look so cool) :

but i'd much rather use a xbow, handgun or rifle to kill with.
Unless I was starving to death, then the closest rocks or big sticks would do, or even a man-boar fight to the death LOLOL!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 · (Edited)
Hijack away Dynamo as long as it's about hunting, FWIW, my SIL in this thread has speared a 450+ lb boar, so like Slayer says, that's not uncommon. Crawl into a ditch, hole or corner with a run hog that's pinned in by chase dogs and knife him, no way..... I'm too old to risk the damage a simple mistake in that situation could cause. But, more power to ya if you do. Just get it on video and share it.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Hijack away Dynamo as long as it's about hunting, FWIW, my SIL in this thread has speared a 450+ lb boar, so like Slayer says, that's not uncommon. Crawl into a ditch, hole or corner with a run hog that's pinned in by chase dogs and knife him, no way..... I'm too old to risk the damage a simple mistake in that situation could cause. But, more power to ya if you do. Justg get it on video and share it.
View attachment 191122
Thanks TX_RDXguy, you are the definition of "coooooooooooooool".
Now, seriously, a 450 pound boar, with a spear???

That is definitely NOT on my Bucket List, for this lifetime anway!
Maybe if I was built like that Dwayne Johnson, a.k.a. The Rock, dude.

Remind me never to mess with someone from Texas, especially if they have a knife or spear LOLOLOLOL!!!

·
Registered
13,788 Posts
One of my buddies went to Savannah, Ga on a wild boar hunt and had to use a knife. When he got back and was telling me about the hunt I asked him if he was going back to get another one and he said "No way with a knife again" but he might if he could take his rifle. :)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Two changes have happened in the new 45 this month. I added a protein feeder to the clover patch setup to extend my fill times as noted in post #231. Here's a better picture of that pair. The holes are raccoon ditches. It keeps them from reaching up and pulling feed out of the nozzles. The little SOBs would stand on each other to get high enough to do that so I dug the holes deep enough they can't. I'm so sad about that too.........

As I hunted from the south side of this food plot this past season I was able to watch how the deer entered, moved though the plot and exited. The NW corner with the right wind is a good travel corridor so I've relocated a ladder stand to a giant oak on the edge of the plot. I would have preferred to have it in a tree that's off the edge but there were none ideal for this stand.

Take down trip #2.

Relo with the crawler cart via the bridge which is a life saver.

Ropes, a good pulley, a telescoping ladder, some squirreling and HD straps and it's all set.

This is a 17' stand and I added a 5' ladder section to so it's up at a decent height. But it sure looks pretty low in relation to this big old tree. It's facing ESE so it will be a good evening stand or a morning or an all day stand on a cloudy day.

Fertilizing this clover plot and cutting in a new walk-in path on the east side is next on the agenda.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Did I not tell you all how cool TX is?
He even got a little chair for me to sit in to get to the blinds!
Ha!

That is NOT your Texas Hunting Ricshaw Dynamo!

·
Registered
Western Wisconsin
956 Posts
Two changes have happened in the new 45 this month. I added a protein feeder to the clover patch setup to extend my fill times as noted in post #231. Here's a better picture of that pair. The holes are raccoon ditches. It keeps them from reaching up and pulling feed out of the nozzles. The little SOBs would stand on each other to get high enough to do that so I dug the holes deep enough they can't. I'm so sad about that too.........

View attachment 191123

As I hunted from the south side of this food plot this past season I was able to watch how the deer entered, moved though the plot and exited. The NW corner with the right wind is a good travel corridor so I've relocated a ladder stand to a giant oak on the edge of the plot. I would have preferred to have it in a tree that's off the edge but there were none ideal for this stand.

Take down trip #2.
View attachment 191125

Relo with the crawler cart via the bridge which is a life saver.
View attachment 191126

Ropes, a good pulley, a telescoping ladder, some squirreling and HD straps and it's all set.
View attachment 191127

View attachment 191130

This is a 17' stand and I added a 5' ladder section to so it's up at a decent height. But it sure looks pretty low in relation to this big old tree. It's facing ESE so it will be a good evening stand or a morning or an all day stand on a cloudy day.

Fertilizing this clover plot and cutting in a new walk-in path on the east side is next on the agenda.
@TX_RDXguy how much do those feeders hold?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Tucked into that oak is a great setup! I'm guessing the fence around the feeders is to keep the pigs out?
Correct and they have worked great. I will add that the pigs in this area are not hard pressed for food. Out west where it's dryer and there is less natural food the hogs can get desperate and dig under fences and try to push them over.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 · (Edited)
A little work taken care of.......

The yellow line on the right side of the picture represents what was the east side fence for the clover food plot. The white line is the new east side fence line which adds about 15% to the overall size. This GoogleEarth picture was from 2018. The NE corner of the plot did not fare well the following year with competing grass. Currently it's about 40% clover so it was time to do something to help it along.

Fence work took us a day to do. We moved 22 panels and added 6. 2 of those 6 were stacked where we had leveled some ground and created shorter fence height.

The yellow lines in this picture is the area where we went to work. The sandy colored area is dead grass which was ankle to knee high. That got mowed.

Some existing space was disked where the Protein Feeders (PF) are and the new ground. Thanks to Chad and Mike for helping!

This food plot is in an area that once was a creek bed and it's all sandy loam. Decent soil to work with for this type of a food source. The soil tests came back with recommendations to add Phosphorus and Potassium. After consulting with my fertilizer expert I made a trip to my favorite Agri Business and came home with 700 lbs of a granular blend. 200 of that is already out on the main plot and after we get a couple rain showers I'll get the rest out. More good exercise.....

I'll leave the disked area as is and let the natural growth come back. At some point in March or April I'll spray it. I may have to do that twice this year. By fall I hope to have that in good shape so we can disk it again and drag it before planting more clover.

The hunt never ends.

BTW, this is Rock Star. A 3.5 year old 9 point that has been here since day 1. He is one of the many reason's I love this place......

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts

The yellow line on the right side of the picture represents what was the east side fence for the clover food plot. The white line is the new east side fence line which adds about 15% to the overall size. This GoogleEarth picture was from 2018. The NE corner of the plot did not fare well the following year with competing grass. Currently it's about 40% clover so it was time to do something to help it along.

Fence work took us a day to do. We moved 22 panels and added 6. 2 of those 6 were stacked where we had leveled some ground and created shorter fence height.

The yellow lines in this picture is the area where we went to work. The sandy colored area is dead grass which was ankle to knee high. That got mowed.

Some existing space was disked where the Protein Feeders (PF) are and the new ground. Thanks to Chad and Mike for helping!

This food plot is in an area that once was a creek bed and it's all sandy loam. Decent soil to work with for this type of a food source. The soil tests came back with recommendations to add Phosphorus and Potassium. After consulting with my fertilizer expert I made a trip to my favorite Agri Business and came home with 700 lbs of a granular blend. 200 of that is already out on the main plot and after we get a couple rain showers I'll get the rest out. More good exercise.....

I'll leave the disked area as is and let the natural growth come back. At some point in March or April I'll spray it. I may have to do that twice this year. By fall I hope to have that in good shape so we can disk it again and drag it before planting more clover.

The hunt never ends.

BTW, this is Rock Star. A 3.5 year old 9 point that has been here since day 1. He is one of the many reason's I love this place......
Looking great, TX_RDXguy.
Rock Star, his Family and Friends thank you no doubt.
Good luck with the hunts.
Cheers,
dynamo61

·
Registered
Western Wisconsin
956 Posts

View attachment 192222

View attachment 192227

View attachment 192228

View attachment 192223

View attachment 192230

The hunt never ends.

View attachment 192237
Looks like a great place to spend time prepping and hunt!

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
2,538 Posts
Rich!!! You're like a kid play'n with his Tonka trucks!!!!!!.........

241 - 260 of 276 Posts