Crossbow Nation banner

261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
You all are right on track. It's my adult playground.....

I crawled in the ground blind pictured below about 5 pm yesterday. It was 18 degrees with light snow flurries and a pretty good breeze from the North. I was getting settled in hoping a hog or two would come by. I was dressed for the weather and brought my IWOM so with a couple hothands in the hand pockets and I stayed pretty comfortable.

No pigs but a few deer were in the area. The light you see in the night picture is a 940 nm lamp from the light system I use for night hog hunting. I have a setup like the one below tucked back into a big cedar. You can see the round lamp on the right side of the night image.

Those deer have no idea that they are in prime time. It's just over 20 yards from the blind to these deer, which is too close for day hunting. I'll shift that setup to about 30 yards when the weather gets better.

I'm not sure what the turkeys are finding in the newly disked soil but they are spending a lot of time in that area since we turned it.

The opposite end of the field. More work to do to get it all tilled and some trimming to do around that tree. This area will get sprayed for weeds at least once, disked again, fertilized, dragged to level it then planted in Sept.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 · (Edited)
I've been watching the picture feeds from the ranch today with interest. It's been a couple years since we've had a good snowfall in this part of Texas and it sounds like we'll see 6-12" over the next 5 days. This is the first deep cold and snow some of these animals have ever seen. It's 10 degrees right now with temps. dipping down near zero so lots of the ponds are freezing over here as well. If the roads are passable, I may venture up there on Tue. or Wed. and break through some of the ice on the pond where the deer normally drink.

021421@S4NECedars.JPG

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Spring is about gone and I failed to bag a turkey this year. I was lucky enough to hunt in MO, AR and TX and did get to see and call in some birds. The experience was very good and I'll remember those hunts for a long time. Next year I'll have better luck!

The rains have been a plenty in April and May and the clover has done well. The task now will be to keep the weeds in check and keep it watered as the summer heat moves in.

In early spring the deer were feeding mostly on new growth brows and the corn and protein consumption dropped off. As the clover matured in March and the fresh growth dwindled the deer returned to the corn, protein and clover. They like it.....

And at the same time the local pig population has been booming.

I've been able to put down 8 since Feb. and another 4 have been taken by family so were putting pork in the freezer. I do enjoy hunting pigs and they don't seem to negatively impact the deer population so I'm going to continue to enjoy it while I can.

Two with one arrow (totally unintentional).

And the Texas QTip is lethal.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Spring is about gone and I failed to bag a turkey this year. I was lucky enough to hunt in MO, AR and TX and did get to see and call in some birds. The experience was very good and I'll remember those hunts for a long time. Next year I'll have better luck!

The rains have been a plenty in April and May and the clover has done well. The task now will be to keep the weeds in check and keep it watered as the summer heat moves in.
View attachment 198722 View attachment 198723

In early spring the deer were feeding mostly on new growth brows and the corn and protein consumption dropped off. As the clover matured in March and the fresh growth dwindled the deer returned to the corn, protein and clover. They like it.....
View attachment 198726

And at the same time the local pig population has been booming.
View attachment 198727

I've been able to put down 8 since Feb. and another 4 have been taken by family so were putting pork in the freezer. I do enjoy hunting pigs and they don't seem to negatively impact the deer population so I'm going to continue to enjoy it while I can.

Two with one arrow (totally unintentional).
View attachment 198728

And the Texas QTip is lethal.
View attachment 198729

Skullduggery!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Reactions: Farm Deer

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
I've had a challenge on this property since day one and that's been getting to the northern part of it. It's an "L" shaped plot, land locked on the north side, the refuge to the east and a sizable creek runs across the upper section and it's a bugger to get in there to improve it.

Thankfully I made some progress with the rancher on the north side and have access to it until deer season opens. That's a mixed blessing but I'll take it and work on improving that as time goes by.

I've got two food plots in this upper area and neither have been maintained the past two years. Yes, I'm too old to do it by hand and I don't know the right folks with mules that swim.

I'll get a mower in to one of the food plots this weekend. I will blaze a trail to it and cut it back to about 8", take out the honey locust that have come back and get it ready for a healthy dose of glyphosate in a couple weeks. Some time in August we'll kill it again, till it, and plant.

In the meantime I'm pulling the 300 lb corn feeder that's currently there and putting in a 600 lber which will carry me from EOM Sept through December.

I picked this feeder up from Academy and at this point I'll call it a pretty decent feeder for $350. It's a giant erector set to build but if you have the time, it's worth the effort. It's all metal, weighs about 150 lbs dry and the design is good. Fit and finish was good as well and the instructions were good. I did replace the 6v motor with a 12v and added a solar panel to keep the battery alive.

I hope to have pics this weekend of it in place doing it's job.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
And for those of you that like to see some hog hunting video, this 182 lb boar was not staying down for the count without a fight. I took this frontal shot because this group of hogs had been by me twice this particular evening and not come into this feeder. I guess they must have winded me and stayed away. I was pretty sure they were on high alert. The third time is the charm as they say so I took the first opportunity to take a shot.

This was my first hunt with Easton's FMJ and it impressed me.

The last few seconds of the video pan back to the feeder and you can see the arrow leaning up against the tree root. It was a head, neck and left shoulder pass-through and the arrow survived. I'll be back out at some point this weekend and will try to put them to the test one more time.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Have you missed on a pig yet with this method? If not then I see no reason not to unless a wall hanger.
Not yet HT but I'm sure the day will come when I stretch the distance. I plan to move this feeder about 10 yards in an effort to put some distance between it and the ground blind. 30 yards is still pretty close shooting off a tripod so I hope to keep the streak going.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
This is a short video of a confused Rio Jake and his first encounter with a hen decoy.

I wonder what he was thinking?

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Did he ever figure it out? Jakes are pretty dumb.
He didn't, in fact he returned the following week and with the decoys in different places he just ignored them.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Working up north continues and we made progress this weekend....

The feeder setup was completed. It looked like this when we got in there on Saturday. Pretty overgrown and in need of some attention. The existing 200 lb Moultrie looked pretty neglected.

I cut a path from the edge of the food plot back to the feeder and cleaned up the feeder area. I had a second set of hands for a couple hours to help move in the new feeder. We hand carried it about 300 yards from the truck in two trips. The main feeder section was only about 80 lbs. but big and awkward to handle, the legs were no issue at all.

The first cut and our path in.

Got it set up with and filled. 600 lbs will last 2-3 months depending on consumption.

The Kubota was a life saver. It was up to the mowing task and in the heat of the day it was my buggy to take me back to the truck to cool down and re-hydrate.

In the past I've used a walk behind mower which worked fine too but it's a bit harder to handle in rough terrain.
T
The Kubota also served well as the Corn Cart. A huge improvement over hand carrying 50 lb bags from the creek, up the hill to this food plot.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
The plot has been re-claimed.

North West

North Central

North East

South West

South Central

South East

I plan on converting the old 30 gal. Moultrie feeder to a gravity fed protean feeder and hope to get that out here this coming weekend.

My work and plans are all about the Whitetails but somehow I think the local Racoon, Squirrel and Crow population will be happy with the changes....

·
Registered
13,788 Posts
My work and plans are all about the Whitetails but somehow I think the local Racoon, Squirrel and Crow population will be happy with the changes..

I think you can safely bet on that. Food plot looks good now. :)

261 - 276 of 276 Posts