Crossbow Nation banner

141 - 160 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
And that coon...! LOL
I got pictures from one of my game cameras I've got setup near a protein feeder, a spot where I set a live trap on Sunday. I could tell by the deer's reactions in the series of pictures I got that there was a coon in the trap probably hissing away. She's looking right at that trap.

051920@S4ProteinFdrX2.jpg

So I jetted up to the ranch this morning before work and picked up two more, so I'm at 7 less raccoons eating up the turkey eggs in these woods.... ;) Probably have another 7 to go to make a temporary impact here but I'll keep after it.

While I was there I looked over the clover and it's past needing to be cut. There's rain in the forecast and I've got some commitments later this month so it was time.

MayRain.jpg

It was about 10-12 inches and I cut it back to about 6". I'm happy that it's growing well but hope this is the last cut for another 45 to 60 days.

CloverCut#2_051920.JPG

CloverCut#2_051920_3.JPG

CloverCut#2_051920_4.JPG

CloverCut#2_051920_5.JPG

It will be interesting to see how the deer react to it over the next few days.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #143

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I sat there for 2-3 minutes recalling the encounter, gave the good Lord the thanks due for this wonderful outdoor experience and giving me a chance to share it. I took a minute and looked at the video of the shot and it looked good so I was happy that my xbow did it's job.

Gathered up my stuff, stepped out to the place the pig was shot, picked up my glowing Alpha nock and the LED stick and found the arrow deeply sunk into the root of the tree. It was covered with good blood and there was blood close by so I was confident.

View attachment 176568

I hoofed it back to my truck where I dropped off most of my gear. I picked up a spot light, some gloves, a rvovery aid, my 9mm and headed back.

The shot was good and the boar bolted for 40-50 yards leaving a pretty easy blood trail. Ended un under a tree about 10 yards from my lookout stand so getting to him with my truck would not be hard.

View attachment 176570

View attachment 176572

This is the same hog in the picture in the previous post and the same one that I encountered Saturday night. I'd like to think he underestimated my determination just a little. :)

The entrance wound looked perfect. The exit would was good too but 3-4' lower so it look like I hit something in the far shoulder on the way through. Energy was still high enough after pass-through to completely bury the broadhead in the tree.

This is probably my last hurrah night hunting hogs. It sure ended on a good note!
Another one bites the dust!

Well done, Rich!!!!

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
The sprinkler system or "Water Wagon" is in the process of assembly and I hope we can test it next weekend or the following. The Sprinkler project got a little out of hand and we may have built more than we need but I'd rather it be that than wishing we made these choices. Maybe a little Scope Creep.... :rolleyes:

Future tasks for the summer include getting cameras up and the feeders filled in the 35 acre section. The creek that separates these two areas has been so high it requires a trip in the jon boat to cross and I've been focused on getting work in the 45 sorted so have pushed it out. I typically cross the creek on the east and west sides and the west side is where I need to focus on next. Unfortunately the existing jon boat is on the east side which is too far down stream to paddle it back and forth.

I spent some time on Craig's list and FaceBook Market place this week and found a very affordable,all aluminum one man jon boat. I'll put on the creek on west side of the property and it should be fine to cross in and carry the corn bags for the feeder.

I convinced the seller to keep the trolling motor, batteries, the trailer and his donkey. (y)

I may use it on the pond in the 45 to set the suction line for the sprinkler system so for now, it's close to the pond. One more thing I can check off the list!

Reactions: dynamo61 and bofos

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I think the Jack Azz looks insulted...... lol
You would have enjoyed the guy that had this boat. Quite a character! He had 20 acres out in the country, built a big pond on it one the edge of the woods and has built a floating ManCave for weekend get a ways. A two story 30X30 building that was pretty nicely done. BTW, that was one of 6 donkeys roaming around.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #148 (Edited)
I'm days away from having this all come together..... :giggle:

As we thought this through we decided to use 3" PVC on the suction side that would be permanently left in the pond. There is 20' of flex line on it to attach to the pump and hope we can just back the trailer in, hook it all up, set the sprinkler, prime it and run.

We sunk 3 t-posts, covered the farthest two with 2" PVC and attached the suction line so it floats on those poles. We're out about 50' into the pond and have the end of the suction line about 3' past the pole on a sophisticated float system...... It's under the water level about 10", has a screened inlet that has a one way valve in it so it primes easier.

This is the land owner and he's a great help.

Hope to test it all out next week. Temps are hitting the 90s now and it hasn't rained here for 9 days so it's time to see if this plan is going to work.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'd use that pond for growing out big giant Koi fish!!! Do you know how much those things can sell for when they're massive tanks!!? Sorry, I'm all into koi ponds lately! LOL

Yikes! Waaay off topic again!

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Bridge building day number 2.....

Getting the poles lifted and positioned is the goal. We've not done this before and our technique may be questionable but we're giving it a try.

View attachment 168730

With a tractor on the east bank positioned to push the pole and an UTV and my home built tripod we're lifting and pushing the poles into place.

View attachment 168732

These poles are about 2500 lbs so the gator is also chained to the tree behind and that was necessary. The winch on the front of Gator is a Warn Axon 55 with a synthetic rope and remote. These three tools along with the tractor were life savers for us today.

It took a little time but we got the "lift and pull" process working well. Pole #1 is in place.

View attachment 168734

Pole #2

View attachment 168736

All 4....

View attachment 168738

Moving them so they were correctly aligned was the next step and that was a mix of side pulling with the winch.
This is looking east.

View attachment 168740

And from the other bank looking west with the poles leveled on that end.

View attachment 168742

These are 55' poles and there is about 10' on each bank. We placed a treated 9' railroad tile under the West end, built leveling wedges and screwed those down.

There's much more work to be done but we got the biggest task completed and made it through the day without any major issues or loosing any fingers.

It's starting to look like something now!

A tip of the hat today for the other guy in the "Crew Of Two". Thanks for the help Chad!

View attachment 168744
It was "Hottern Heck" on Friday but we made progress. We got the last pole in place and leveled the pole ends on the West side.

Doing that meant getting a tractor across the cheek.... We backed it down the east bank for safety reasons.

We got stuck going up the West bank but the ATV and it's HD which saved the day. That tractor weighs over 6,000 pounds so we chained the ATV to a tree and put our faith in the Warn Winch. It worked thankfully. We had no Plan C.....

We were able to set all the poles. get our RR tie in place and shim the small pole ends. The work with the tractor on the West bank is done.....​

060520EastEnd.jpg

We will sink the side poles and secure them with concrete. We will deck the bridge with 1X??X10' treated lumber, add a skid rail on each side of the deck, build ramps at each end and that may wind it up. 3-4 more days of work and we should have a safe bridge for walking and eBike use.
And it was hot! This is 2pm inside my truck that's been in the shade all day with windows cracked. Outside temps hit 96, humidity was a horrible 76%.

Were another step closer.

Now if I can make it rain this week I've started June off with a bang!

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
It was the heat with humidity that kicked my butt yesterday. I had hydrated well all week and did take a couple brakes. Thank goodness I could hop on the eBike and get back to the truck, crank up the AC and cool down.

Yep, I'm hearing Toby Keith's song..... I ain't as good once was, But I'm as good once, as I ever was.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
I trimmed the pole ends and can confirm the smell of freshly cut creasote wood is delightful......

I strapped each end with a 3"x3/8"x6' flat plate and 3/4"X3" wood screws. Should help stabilize it along with the screwed on decking.

We have the 2"x6"x8' treated pine decking unloaded and ready to be moved back to the bridge.

I'm guessing that it will take two days and about 800 screws to set these placed.

The Crew Of Two is not the fastest but we're getting closer. This bridge will be a great addition to the property!

Reactions: bofos and dynamo61

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Hey Rich, ya probably know, but just incase ya don't..... (I'm a carpenter).....use screws that are made for treated wood, or they won't last long.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I used galvanized vs plated. Not sure if that is ideal but that's what we used. I also sprayed the metal with cold galvanize.

Reactions: bofos
141 - 160 of 201 Posts