Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started with the Equinox. Too much bow. Appreciated the power but not the 225 draw weight. Shooting it became a chore (two bad wings). Traded back for Vortex. Believe it or not the 25 lbs draw weight makes a difference. Easier to cock but still has more power than I really need. Make my own Flemish strings. Getting 320 fps with Lazer II that weigh about 410 grains (100 gr brass inserts and 100m gr Slicks, 2" Blazers) This bow is so accurate I don't dare to shoot to the same point twice. I though the first "Robin Hood" was a fluke. My son in law did another on his second shot (he shoot guns a lot) and one more by me has convinced me to spread my arrows around. This bow is topped with a LumiZone.
It's a great bow, although it's trigger isn't as good as my Parker Terminator . It actually release at 4 lbs just seems like more. No doubt holding back 200 lbs makes it seem like that.
Love the simplicity of a recurve; it's. size and weight not so much. This one is a keeper tho.

·
11,408 Posts
Great bows for sure

but the trigger is the first thing I fixed on my Vortex. It took some work but it's light and clean now with no creep. Compared to the heavier compound crossbows that have more weight WAY out front, the Excal is a natural for off hand shooting. For this reason it makes a great 3D crossbow. I've found that heavy arrows (470 grains) with 170 grain NAP points make the bow even more accurate and also smoothes it out a lot.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Moonkryket said:
but the trigger is the first thing I fixed on my Vortex. It took some work but it's light and clean now with no creep. Compared to the heavier compound crossbows that have more weight WAY out front, the Excal is a natural for off hand shooting. For this reason it makes a great 3D crossbow. I've found that heavy arrows (470 grains) with 170 grain NAP points make the bow even more accurate and also smoothes it out a lot.
Can I ask what are you screwing those 170's into? Tia

·
11,408 Posts
Shucks

I use the 170 grain Spitfires and field points on Easton Power Bolt shafts in 20" for Excals and Phantoms and 22" for Strykers. This combo should shoot through an automobile:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I started collecting Excals in 1991 with a Wolverine and eventually ended up with five of them.

I started on Vixen next, buying and selling 7 of them. 2 left.

I also had 2 Exocets--165 lb and 175 lb.

I owned 3 Paradoxs, sold them after they discontinued the line.

I also have two Relayers from 1984.

lastly I have a Pheonix

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tuning Trigger, for Moonkryket

Quote: "but the trigger is the first thing I fixed on my Vortex."
Moon, can you elaborate on how you made the trigger smoother. I've done may own trigger jobs on various guns but feel intimidated by the looks of the trigger housing on the Vortex. Like it may fly apart and never be assembled the same. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 22LR

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Geez i thought someone was playing a strange deja vu. When i saw digger's post n all his Excals. Boy howdy that took me back many a yr ago. I knew him n did some Excal parts buying from him. I just happened on this post. I have saved pm's from him over on the Excal Site i have been a member on since 05

Reactions: 22LR
1 - 8 of 8 Posts