Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it... After reading a bunch of forums and asking questions on here I ordered the R10 today! I cannot wait for it to come in next week. With that said this will be my first crossbow, so im excited and nervous since I have never shot one before (been shooting a compound for many years). But I was able to see one in store.

So im in the process of ordering arrows. I see South Shore Archery is highly recommended on here. but they have so many customization options. Is anyone willing to share recommendations on the various arrows and customization options they offer? im in over my head when I look on their site.

Also what grain broadheads should I be looking at? 100 grain? 125 grain?

I have the BDX system on order as well so i cant wait to dial everything in and see what this crossbow can do!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
GoBlue,
Some folks find the .003 standard 20" Ravin arrows are satisfactory for hunting. These arrows are BEEs with 80 grain inserts. Others prefer the .001 Ravin arrows and some even send them to Jerry to be spine indexed. I think Robert even likes his Blood Sport Hunter .003 arrows which are definitely the best value.
I personally prefer Jerry's 20" BEEs with 110 grain inserts and 2" Quik Spin vanes fletched straight down the middle. I also like to have them spine matched and all of his arrows are spine indexed.
Others prefer Jerry's 20" Spynal Tapps with 2" Blazer vanes fletched with a 1 degree RH offset and 110 grain inserts.
The Tapps have a little stiffer spine but they are pretty tight in spine even without asking for more spine matching. Others even order them weight matched.
My personal experience with Ravins is that shorter 2" vanes will minimize risk of rest roller contact and 110 grain inserts provide a good FOC for 100 grain broadheads. However, I would chose 125 grain broadheads if I were shooting the standard 400 grain Ravin arrow.

Just my thoughts based on my experience. Others may have different opinions based on their experience.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
I agree with BB1 on the 125 grain broadheads even though I am shooting 100s out of my Ravin right now. Another deer or 2 and I will swap over but I have an excess of 100 grain heads. I really like The Blood Sports but started having problems with flyers at 50 yards and over with my Hypodermics so I swapped over to 20" BEEs and they shoot the heads fine. I hope the BS arrows will shoot the 125 heads better but time will tell.
You are going to love your new bow. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts