Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was easier than i thought making a buss cable. Control cables are like making strings, nothing different. I double served the retaining collar with .008 Halo and added some where it slides through the cable clip under the rail. I never understood why there wasn't any there to begin with. There's enough room. I used the .008 Halo serving to be on the safe side.
20190120_055622.jpg
1547982428159604971789.jpg

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Looks good what crossbow made for ?

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My TenPoint Titan SS. 23"1/16, 40 strands of 8190F. It calls for D97 but 8190 is 100% Dyneema so I figure this would be fine. It calls for 28 strands of the D97 but 8190 is thiner strands, thats why i gave it 40. The diameter matches perfectly to the string set thats made of 97. Also i served the section of cable that slides through the clip in the rail to reduce wear.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
8190 is a better material

·
SE VA
12,146 Posts
Marty, looks like you are really enjoying whipping out those strings;-). Reminds me of my doing the same thing 10 + years ago. I still have a drawer full of string and serving materials, probably obsolete now ;-). I was doing some, what I called, double reverse center servings on some serving eating crossbows long before a few of the severe string angle bow manufactures started doing it.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
8190 is a better material
This is what im learning. I hope they never stop manufacturing it. I've grown very accustomed to working with it and know how it behaves very well. I can tell when it's done stretching and know exactly how far it relaxes to.
Marty, looks like you are really enjoying whipping out those strings;-). Reminds me of my doing the same thing 10 + years ago. I still have a drawer full of string and serving materials, probably obsolete now ;-). I was doing some, what I called, double reverse center servings on some serving eating crossbows long before a few of the severe string angle bow manufactures started doing it.
What is double reverse serving ?
I love making strings, it's very relaxing and satisfying for me. I want to buy more bows just so I can make strings for them.....lol....just a joke.

·
SE VA
12,146 Posts
Serving the width of center serving and then reversing the wrap direction back to your starting point, using a smaller diameter material. Greatly increases center serving life and minimizes separations.

When I was doing that stuff, I think I had up to 11 crossbows hanging in my workshop:p.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Tom loved lots of crossbows, i do to. I just have less pocket depth :)

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear you !
Tom loved lots of crossbows, i do to. I just have less pocket depth :)
I love them also. Its my new passion. Archery is more than just a hobby for me in my heart. It's an addiction and a way for me to keep life interesting. I'm finding most people don't understand nor respect this. So I've learned to keep my mouth shut about it and be very careful where I go to practice.
I would love to own a few more bows but like yourself funds are not permitting me to indulge into investing more. In time I will gradually increase my collection. I want that Nemesis !!!
Serving the width of center serving and then reversing the wrap direction back to your starting point, using a smaller diameter material. Greatly increases center serving life and minimizes separations.

When I was doing that stuff, I think I had up to 11 crossbows hanging in my workshop:p.
I tried that exact style of center serving 3 months ago when I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing....lol I made a string that was too narrow and the Q nock wouldn't snap on, so I doubled it up with .014 and it did the trick but I found that by putting a thinner guage serving over a thicker guage, the thinner found its way in between the rounds of the thicker guage, but it worked on letting the nock to snap on. I trashed the string and the idea for more strands of 8190f. I do have .014 and .021 serving and by running both tag ends the whole legnth of the servings it would make a nice double served string. I havnt done this yet because I have no need to. If my serving seperates I can just replace the string and repair the used one. It will just give me something to do. I put the serving on tight as all heck though. I don't think it will be separating anytime soon. I've just been experimenting with diferent colors. Boy do I want a Nemesis. I need to find another job !

·
SE VA
12,146 Posts
I had no luck running a second layer of serving in the same direction as the first layer. Running the second layer in the opposite direction does the trick.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had no luck running a second layer of serving in the same direction as the first layer. Running the second layer in the opposite direction does the trick.
Maybe that's where I screwed up. I can't remember exactly how I did it. I had no idea back then on which direction was correct. Just recently did I unlock this phenomenon ....lol

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Mike. I'm happy it turned out good. It is my first split yoke Buss cable I made. I was thinking it would've taken numerous attempts with more wasted matierial. I'm ready to start making strings and cables for vertical compounds now, also.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
You will make some very good strings because you apply your self to it

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found that's the secret for me. I can't just do something half heartedly. I have to put my whole self into it if I want to succeed at something. Abraham Lincoln once said that, his mind is like a slat of iron. It takes a while to engrave something into it but once it's there it never goes away. This is me also, so I have to put my whole being into something if I want to learn something. No half stepping for me.
Thanks for the uplifting words Blacktail.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the whole set. It's all completed.
1548066910640399262335.jpg

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I kept busy !....lol

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right here BuckeyeBow1980 !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts