Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighborhood, like many in East TX, is plagued by multiple Sounders of feral hogs. After my dog Rocky was attacked by some (thank the Lord he survived) I declared war. My wife had bought me my first crossbow, a Barnett Whitetail Hunter II, for my previous birthday, and I started practicing. Got er dialed in at my friends house on his target setup, and was effectively popping targets at 40 yards. Hogs wandered into my yard one day on my way out the door for work and I took a quick shot. Embarrassingly, I didn't know the range and missed. For 2 weeks I rolled about that. Christmas came along and sweet momma bought me a Sig rangefinder! I had already measured out some stakes and had been practicing on my own targets so I felt ready if they wandered into my backyard again. Then about a week later, out front of my house there was a group of 14 hogs, tearing and rooting around. I got myself in position and ranged em. 56 yards. That was longer than I had really been practicing so I crept a little closer. 41 yards. Leveled up on a fat little oinker and popped her clean behind the front shoulder blade! My bolt went clean through er and she dropped after about 3 yards. That Rage CrossbowX broadhead sure did the trick! My wife and son came running out so excited. Not bad for an ole city slicker like me! I never grew up hunting. But I know my boys will. Y'all should've seen the looks on their faces when I went to dressing er out. Hahaha! Boys became men that day!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well done! I am hoping to book a trip in south florida in the 1st week of April for a hog. Have relatives there, but not alot of land. Nice to see a fellow crossbower having a little fun, should br good eating, as well!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Congrats!!!! Great read!!! I'd love to that, but thankfully, we don't have them buggars around here,...yet....

·
Happy Member
5,349 Posts
What are you doing with that cocked bow in the 1st picture?! Your finger is just above but near that trigger on a cocked bow with your hand in the triangle of death!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,945 Posts
Put you out a little corn and you can shoot at 'em everyday!;) Congrats on your first kill!:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are you doing with that cocked bow in the 1st picture?! Your finger is just above but near that trigger on a cocked bow with your hand in the triangle of death!

Yep just loading up. Safety on, finger outside the trigger guard. If there is a better/safer way please lemme know, learning!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
nice hog,great looking backyard,also your not supposed to put your hand or fingers inside the string firing area,you load the arrow from in front of were the string would stop...the manufacturers say never to trust the saftey it could malfunction and has.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well done on the bacon but please keep the booger hooks out of the string path but in front of it and never in front of the arrow path either.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

I saw that too. Scary

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Perfect size hog :) Good shooting Tex

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Now that is makin' bacon! Congrats!

·
Registered