Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the center serving on my Excalibur GRZ2 using only a spool of .030 Halo, a knife to cut the ends and gorilla glue to stick the ends. I did not use a serving jig or serving tool. I just left the string strung on the crossbow's limbs as I reserved.

How does it look? I'm curious to find out how long it might last.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
I've never tried reserving a string but from the vids I have watched on it I think it's pretty important the string is tight and the serving is put on the string as tight as you can get it without breaking. Time will tell how long yours lasts. I'd be curious to know though.;)

Reactions: Fletcher and Liam

·
112 Posts
Hi Liam, Halo is a good serving material, usually pretty slippery. I use it a lot on my “trad strings”. If you don’t have to re-twist the string on your crossbow to adjust ( tighten it to maintain the brace-height) it should be OK. It looks like you wound the serving on to the string opposite to the way the string is twisted. If you wind the serving on to the string the same direction (in this case “clockwise”) then if you have to tighten the string due to string stretch, you are actually tightening the serving on to the string. This may be a little “anal”to some people , but if you are going to serve or re-serve a string, you might as well get the most out of it eh! IMO
I hope this makes sense,...... Lloyd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Shot 15 shots thru it today, but the center serving appeared to loosen up and separate. Basically whenever I cocked it, the part of the serving just outside where the cocking aid made contact would separate. When cocked, slight separation could be observed in the serving opposite the side of the string where the string latch holds the string. When uncocked, I could pretty easily move with my finger the serving that was outside the flight rail, and with my nail could very slightly move that serving in contact with the flight rail. I stopped shooting because of these concerns mentioned.

I believe the issue with this serving method is that serving the string while it is on the crossbow's uncocked limbs does not allow the serving to be wound tight enough in anticipation of the substantial pressure and temporary stretching that the string would undergo while cocked.

The attached photos demonstrate the looseness of the serving. One photo attempts to show the slight separation on the flight rail, while the other shows the large separation outside the flight rail.

This serving method is best used as a temporary solution where the ideal tools may not be available, but under normal conditions the use of a serving jig seems to be necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I believe you are right, but this is the luxury of most Excalibur bows, emergency fixes like this don't alter your POI. It may not last but it will get in the field and confidently when other bows needing the same thing won't without tools!

The thing I find most important is the sting needs to be as tight as possible, then the serving tool just makes it easier to keep the serving material tight. I think old Vixenmaster can do as well with the jig as without if he chose to, best serving I have ever witnessed, and I believe he relies more on a good pair of leather gloves to protect his hand as he does a jig?

Good job and excellent project, now you know a length of serving can save a hunt for you if the need ever arose!

Reactions: Liam and Fletcher

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
I bought 3 strings from VM in 2012 when I bought my Excal. Been rotating them out and also rotating the ends when in use. Still have 2 perfectly good strings (one got bit by the weather last winter during hunting season (my fault)). Wont hesitate buying more when needed if he's still making for the public.;):)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have had em all, today all run is Vixenmasters,, force10 or 8190, solid stable strings!

Reactions: Gabowman

·
Registered
564 Posts
you done a good job but unfortunately it is about impossible to get the serving tight enough to not slip unless you are using a serving tool and have the tension nut tightened up pretty good.

·
Registered
564 Posts
the bowstring materials we use are all very slick, smooth and waxed for the most part too which makes it tougher to grip with the serving. the old b50 Dacron we used back in the day wasn't nearly as slippery.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Liam this country got where it is through trial and error. Can you imagine what they thought of a man flaying a kite is a thunder storm with a key attached to it? I applaud your effort.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Reactions: Fletcher

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Update:

Shot 15 shots thru it today, but the center serving appeared to loosen up and separate. Basically whenever I cocked it, the part of the serving just outside where the cocking aid made contact would separate. When cocked, slight separation could be observed in the serving opposite the side of the string where the string latch holds the string. When uncocked, I could pretty easily move with my finger the serving that was outside the flight rail, and with my nail could very slightly move that serving in contact with the flight rail. I stopped shooting because of these concerns mentioned.

This serving method is best used as a temporary solution where the ideal tools may not be available, but under normal conditions the use of a serving jig seems to be necessary.
I serve my strings under about 200# force and stand on the server loaded with Halo. Per Boo's tutorial, once the length is set at 100#, I untwist the string 6 turns, serve under 200#, and then put the 6 twists back in. Works for me.

Reactions: Stalker
1 - 16 of 16 Posts