Crossbow Nation banner
201 - 220 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Today I decided to replace the washers from the cams, below (4mm thick) and above (3mm thick). I ordered from China axial bearings, of 4mm (needle thrust axial bearing) and 3 mm thick (ball axial thrust bearing). Will see how they play.

Attachments

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
got some mankung nocks finally

two arrows that was hitting inch off now hits right in the middle when i changed nocks on em, shape really makes difference in accuracy

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Today I decided to replace the washers from the cams, below (4mm thick) and above (3mm thick). I ordered from China axial bearings, of 4mm (needle thrust axial bearing) and 3 mm thick (ball axial thrust bearing). Will see how they play.
those goes against limb? i think you should have plastic or something softer than metal there

·
Registered
75 Posts
The ring that goes against the limb will be immobile, only one that goes against the cam will move, relative to the limb, by the balls/needles of the bearing, but will be fixed against the cam, also. only the balls/needles will move.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Today also I finished my first custom arrow. Spine 240, 20 inch, Lock-n-Load brass insert, Gold Tip EZ-Pull 100gr point, aluminum moon nock with thin teflon tape to allow removal/indexing, plus Silent Knight SK-300 vanes.
Spine indexed shaft, both dynamic on laser and static on stand.
Stuck them together with el-cheapo Gorilla cyanoacrilate superglue, after preparing with acetone and primer both vanes and shaft. Result came out not too messy, so I am pleased for the moment. Put a little bead of glue on tip and tail of vanes, too.
So far everything was weighted to the milligram (literally, on three digit milligram chemical scale), for indexing. This will be the first - and heaviest arrow, on shaft no 6, with tip no.3, vanes Y5, a11 and b1, nock 6 and insert 9 - so the rest of the arrows will carry counterweighting in thin lead sand to equal this arrow, counterweights glued on the head of the nock, to the inside.
All weighted, numbered and paired to get+/- 1-2 miligram weight matching.
The complete arrow came at 448 grains, and 13,3% FOC.
Tomorrow I will shoot it at the countryside, 20-50 yards, and will tell on results. Cheers

Attachments

Reactions: fly

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
revisited skylon X arrows and shot 5 of em through paper

Event Fur Monochrome photography Rock Transparent material

reference on barebone 2€ amazon arrow that has really bad squaring

Sleeve Grey Tints and shades Pattern Linens

think im gonna take these skylons to another field trip
last time i shot em they didnt do well, it could of been bow or likely shooter to blame then

·
Registered
75 Posts
My bareshaft arrow marks are identical, long diagonal, and they are spine indexed (static and dynamic), weight matched, squared individually... It has to be the bow...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
My bareshaft arrow marks are identical, long diagonal, and they are spine indexed (static and dynamic), weight matched, squared individually... It has to be the bow...
it could be the squaring

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
i think the squaring is the hardest part on building an arrow, atleast without proper tools

i did some sand papering on one 2€ arrow and next time i shot it, it snapped in two due drift, it was going all sidesways or upways

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is weird...
On another hand, does anyone know exactly the THICKNESS of the cam? How many milimeters thisk exactly is a cam? I cannot measure it, but I will like to know...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
finally got scope upgrade: 3-9x50 hawke, hoping to see targets in very low light conditions

wasnt that big after all, altho size difference to original scope is significant

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
one hole accuracy just got new meaning, its now one mil accuracy, guess i now have scope that exceeds my capabilities
gonna be fun to find that one out

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
about 3mm difference with this arrow on 5,5yards, could be me, could be arrow

Composite material Wire fencing Pattern Symmetry Metal

there was one slightly bend vane that was draggin and nock turned a bit

on other arrow i shot there was 1mm difference between 2 shots

guess scope needed few taps after dropping reticle all the way down

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 · (Edited)
this scope is enough to shoot zephras in dark, but i guess hunting would require IR reticle, mildots are not easy to see, but center cross is pretty visible, even on dark object

difference to orignal scope is huge in low light conditions, also makes it far more easy to take shots into further distances due zoom

bit damp conditions so im gonna walk just scope tonight

ive seen people saying that adjustable makes mildots useless in SFP scope, gonna see about that

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
1,509 Posts
Fly, use your scope and a map and look towards the State of Maine. I'm on top of that big hill next to the giant pine tree with a chickadee in its lower branches. Do ya see me? I'm waving to ya, and hoping your having a good day my friend!☮
Take care
Oncebitten

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
was nice walk with the scope, saw few pretty hills and backyards

think i need yard stick to go beyond 70yards without losing much arrows, dont want to shim this pretty scope

didnt climb that hill ;)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 · (Edited)
this time i had xbow with me

took my first ever ~72meter (78yards) shot with x50 hawke, i was happy i hit my bag :)
was 5" off from poa, not sure why i was off, arrow just kept drifting right even i canted it to left after 50meter shot, could of been crosswind or the fact the gluing didnt held in front of vanes or maybe scope is not aligned well, could be even wear on serving

think its 75meters (82yards) where the mildots ends and thicker part starts when reticles is all the way down and x5 power
i need to lift it up a bit as all the distances were of from dots

there is so much to learn with this scope, original was just simple

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
turns out that mildots in this scope is not the easiest with crossbow, also came to realise why people goes for speed ring and HHA setup
just a steeper learning curve and not so obvious aim points but should be good anyway

did same mistake as before when aligning origiinal scope... forgot to check scope ring gaps, they was not even and it somewhat misaligns scope
also checked string as i had little more twist on left side, now cocked ata is more even, so is timings

hope that cured that massive drift to right, also arrow that i was shooting has habbit of hitting right so should be better next time i get to go outside
got 5 arrows that hits within inch at 5,5y, more variation in drop than in windage

think i need to find better location to do more long range

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
i was hoping this 45€ bag would last atleast an year, ruined planty of fletchings in it
sad thing is... i no longer cant use it as shot counter

Art Window Pattern Font Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Flash photography Automotive wheel system Gas Circle

2 other sides are not exactly this bad, but bad they are

gonna see if i will try to silent and patch this up with acoustic foam

201 - 220 of 222 Posts