Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tip of the bolts are sitting about 1/16-1/8 of an inch off the rail and the nocks for the bolts are being grooved from the rail. What is going on? Is this normal? Is there an easy fix or should I take it into a local dealer?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
If you haven't had the crossbow very long, either take it to where it was purchased and or contact Barnett.
That crossbow has several manufacture faults including what you are describing. The rail groove where
the arrow sits is not machined wide enough for the arrow to sit lower. When cocked and an arrow loaded
the bowstring does not center in the 1/2 moon nock and there fore puts excessive downward pressure on
the lower area of the nock. Due to this one gets grooves in the nock and eventually this will progress up
into the arrow shaft.

I had one of those crossbows and after a couple of days, I returned it to the store with a note of all the
manufacturing errors I found. In the crossbow box was a red sheet saying not to return to the store but
send the crossbow back to Barnett. I explained this to the store manager, but they said they would take
care of it. Due to a winter storm in the area where I had purchased the crossbow, I took it to a different
chain store. Due to this I had to accept a credit (no money). I wasn't too happy but better than a wasted
trip.
At the time it was too costly and time consuming to ship the crossbow from Canada to Barnett in Florida.

Note: I would try and get my money back or see if you can get a different crossbow.

Wishing you all the best with what ever you decide.
Take care.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you haven't had the crossbow very long, either take it to where it was purchased and or contact Barnett.
That crossbow has several manufacture faults including what you are describing. The rail groove where
the arrow sits is not machined wide enough for the arrow to sit lower. When cocked and an arrow loaded
the bowstring does not center in the 1/2 moon nock and there fore puts excessive downward pressure on
the lower area of the nock. Due to this one gets grooves in the nock and eventually this will progress up
into the arrow shaft.

I had one of those crossbows and after a couple of days, I returned it to the store with a note of all the
manufacturing errors I found. In the crossbow box was a red sheet saying not to return to the store but
send the crossbow back to Barnett. I explained this to the store manager, but they said they would take
care of it. Due to a winter storm in the area where I had purchased the crossbow, I took it to a different
chain store. Due to this I had to accept a credit (no money). I wasn't too happy but better than a wasted
trip.
At the time it was too costly and time consuming to ship the crossbow from Canada to Barnett in Florida.

Note: I would try and get my money back or see if you can get a different crossbow.

Take care.
Ok thank you for the info

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
into the arrow shaft.

trip.

Take care
What crossbow would you recommend for the same price of 400$ or less?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The tip of the bolts are sitting about 1/16-1/8 of an inch off the rail and the nocks for the bolts are being grooved from the rail. What is going on? Is this normal? Is there an easy fix or should I take it into a local dealer?
I recently bought a Barnett wildcat recurve and had the same problem. I determined that when the arrow is seated all the way the anti-dryfire mechanism pushes down on the top of the knock and because the knock isn't supported at bottom the knock goes down, raising the tip of the arrow. I put an arrow hold down device extending forward from the scope mount down onto the arrow to hold it down onto the rail. I believe Barnett sells this item but I made one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What crossbow would you recommend for the same price of 400$ or less?
I recently bought a Barnett wildcat recurve and had the same problem. I determined that when the arrow is seated all the way the anti-dryfire mechanism pushes down on the top of the knock and because the knock isn't supported at bottom the knock goes down, raising the tip of the arrow. I put an arrow hold down device extending forward from the scope mount down onto the arrow to hold it down onto the rail. I believe Barnett sells this item but I made one.
Mine doesn’t sit right on the string either so I’m gonna have to return it and maybe get a new one of the same or a different model but I’m not sure yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
into the arrow shaft.

trip.

Take care.
Are my cams supposed to be a bit lower than the rail?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
With your crossbow cocked and blocked level, lay a level on each cam 90 degrees to the rail-stock (the part where the arrow lies).
These readings should match (be level). If not: a cam tilting down on the rail-stock side, add 1/2 or full twists to the top of the "Y" section.
If the cam tilts up add 1/2 or full twists to the lower "Y" section. The "Y" section is the part of the split cable that goes onto the pulleys
on the axle, one above and one below the end of the limbs. The bow string should not hump up as it crosses the rail-stock. This is a
manufacture fault. To correct that I have added shims between the top of the riser (bow section) and the end of the rail-stock. This
modification gets rid of the downward pressure the bow string puts on the rail-stock and greatly increases the life of the serving in the
arrow-latch area. One wants a credit card gap to very light pressure when the crossbow is not cocked in the area where the bow string
crosses the rail-stock. This modification is for the crossbows where the riser (bow section) mounts to the front of the rail-stock.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With your crossbow cocked and blocked level, lay a level on each cam 90 degrees to the rail-stock (the part where the arrow lies).
These readings should match (be level). If not: a cam tilting down on the rail-stock side, add 1/2 or full twists to the top of the "Y" section.
If the cam tilts up add 1/2 or full twists to the lower "Y" section. The "Y" section is the part of the split cable that goes onto the pulleys
on the axle, one above and one below the end of the limbs. The bow string should not hump up as it crosses the rail-stock. This is a
manufacture fault. To correct that I have added shims between the top of the riser (bow section) and the end of the rail-stock. This
modification gets rid of the downward pressure the bow string puts on the rail-stock and greatly increases the life of the serving in the
arrow-latch area. One wants a credit card gap to very light pressure when the crossbow is not cocked in the area where the bow string
crosses the rail-stock. This modification is for the crossbows where the riser (bow section) mounts to the front of the rail-stock.

Take care.
So I can add shims but there isn’t a way to just adjust the height of the cams right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Take care.
Also would you be able to send a picture of what you did I am not understanding where you put it?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
So I can add shims but there isn’t a way to just adjust the height of the cams right?
Not that I am aware of.
If you back the bolt out some that holds the riser to the rail-stock you should see a
small ledge. I cut two pieces of key stock, one for each side that will sit on this ledge.
Probably 1/8" thick as a start. If this raises the bow string too much, just file the key
stock thinner. Once you get the right thickness, apply a wee drop of Gorilla Glue to
the riser side to hold the pieces of key stock, then immediately tighten the riser bolt.
The Gorilla Glue dries fast and keeps the key stock from popping out.

Take care.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Also would you be able to send a picture of what you did I am not understanding where you put it?
Go to the Barnett section and scroll down to: "Riser Modification shims for TS370...... " There you will find some
pictures of the shims installed and one of the riser with the shims (white in color).
All the best.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Go to the Barnett section and scroll down to: "Riser Modification shims for TS370...... " There you will find some
pictures of the shims installed and one of the riser with the shims (white in color).
All the best.
Okay yes I saw the image and it made the bow part separated more from the rail. I am confused on how this would make the arrow sit more level.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Vengeance. Arrow would not stay back when the bow was angled down at the front. Adding pressure to the arrow hold down brought the point up. Barnett sent me two new hold downs, put one on and adjusted it and no more problems. On the Vengeance when the arrow is seated back the string is lower than the grove in the half moon nock. As the string is released it rises and centers in the nock and send the arrow on its way. Arrows fly straight and enter the target straight. Not saying this is your issue but you might back off the pressure on that hold down a bit till the arrow lays flat on the rail.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Okay yes I saw the image and it made the bow part separated more from the rail. I am confused on how this would make the arrow sit more level.
This modification is to level the bow string and take downward pressure off the serving
in the arrow-latch area, It does nothing to effect how the arrow sits.

Take care.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a similar issue with my Vengeance. Arrow would not stay back when the bow was angled down at the front. Adding pressure to the arrow hold down brought the point up. Barnett sent me two new hold downs, put one on and adjusted it and no more problems. On the Vengeance when the arrow is seated back the string is lower than the grove in the half moon nock. As the string is released it rises and centers in the nock and send the arrow on its way. Arrows fly straight and enter the target straight. Not saying this is your issue but you might back off the pressure on that hold down a bit till the arrow lays flat on the rail.
I have a brush retainer not a metal one so it’s probably different. Also I am almost certain it is due to too much downward pressure from the string and I’ve seen post on shimming the riser to fix it so I might try that out.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The brush retainer retracts a bit when the arrow is inserted. It is just a modified tooth brush.
The problem is a manufacture fault where the arrow groove was not made quite wide enough
for the arrow to sit lower. Due to this the string puts more pressure on the lower area of the nock
and does not center in the nock.

All the best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts