Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
Now that I'm no longer a newbie as of yesterday, I'll start bugging ya'll with more questions. I took my Horton in today to have it dipped in HD Green--The guy that owns the place is pretty knowledgeable and is gonna make sure to leave the rails unpainted. It should look good once it's all done. You can never have enough camo!!

A few arrows came with my setup. They are carbon hortons. Should I stick with these? Do the ones I would order normally `come with inserts? If not, what kind should I buy (aluminum or brass) and how do I actually install them. Should I begin to invest in some different "tools" to help with stuff like this? Better yet, what basic tools should I be looking to get to keep myself in operation.

Next step--I need to buy a target. Any suggestions that will handle broadheadsa and targetpts?

Thanks!

·
Banned
258 Posts
Check with Urban Legend very knowledgeable and gives fair advice,will
tell how its done!:(

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red dot sight recommendations--

I was wondering...has anyone tried the new TruGlo 4 dot sight? In my Horton sight all of the dots seem to pile on top of one another even on the lowest setting.

I would really like to try a good quality red dot sight since I do most of my hunting in pretty thick woods and would like something that allows for quick target pick-up. The TruGlo looks like it might fit the bill.

http://www.truglo.com/content/products/crossbow/red_dots/trajectory-comp_red_dot_sight.asp

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Blue-darter said:
Okay,
Now that I'm no longer a newbie as of yesterday, I'll start bugging ya'll with more questions. I took my Horton in today to have it dipped in HD Green--The guy that owns the place is pretty knowledgeable and is gonna make sure to leave the rails unpainted. It should look good once it's all done. You can never have enough camo!!

A few arrows came with my setup. They are carbon hortons. Should I stick with these? Do the ones I would order normally `come with inserts? If not, what kind should I buy (aluminum or brass) and how do I actually install them. Should I begin to invest in some different "tools" to help with stuff like this? Better yet, what basic tools should I be looking to get to keep myself in operation.

Next step--I need to buy a target. Any suggestions that will handle broadheadsa and targetpts?

Thanks!
Unless you are buying raw shafts, your inserts will be factory installed. I like to use the same fast setting cement I glue my vanes to the shaft with for the inserts as well. You can also use a 2 part epoxy or a hot melt glue. If using a hot melt, use the kind that comes in a soft stick, the hard sticks glue tend to crack and loose its bond if you hit something hard. This means you normally will loose your insert when pulling it from the target. As far as any special tools for the inserts, there is none. If anything, you might want to invest in a fletching jig to refletch your arrows. You will ruin the vanes or feathers faster than the shaft. There are many on the market that will work fine. I personally like the Bitzenburger fletching jig, although it is a little on the pricey side.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So a refletching jig--maybe an arrow spinner? How does one learn how to refletch or do any of the other fun tasks that this sport requires? I can see now that I'll need to set up some space for an archery workbench! More gadgets!

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
You can get a spinner if you like. Over the years I have learned to spin them in my hand and can feel vibrations in the shaft if its bent or components are are misaligned. But it's a cheap investment for a newbie. Some guys on the site have made their own and could tell you how to save some cash.
Do a google search for fletching instructions, you will find what your looking for. It's not difficult at all, and with a little practice, you'll be customizing your arrows in no time.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
"I was wondering...has anyone tried the new TruGlo 4 dot sight?"

I got one from another member for my Phoenix. It's light and very compact. Eye relief isn't an issue. Four 4 dot reticules to pick from in order to match the speed of your bow. Two colors red/green to choose from. Dots are nice and small, likely 1-2 mm.Nice.
On the down side: Each set of dots shoots to a different point, can't switch between them without re zeroing. (Changing dot color doesn't seems to affect point of impact, tho.) Only 5 brightness setting per color, can cause dot to be difficult to see in very bright sunlight. Great in shade, or when it's overcast. Speed indicators for dots are way off. Had to set mine to the 350 fps reticule to coincide with trajectory of Phoenix. But, once I had it figured out, it shoots spot on 20,30,40 even 50 yards. All in all, I'm satisfied with it, esp at the price.
Makes the bow nice and light much lighter than my 2 LumiZone scoped bows. Would buy again

Blue,

I use GoatTuf glue or LocTight Crazy Glue Gel for flat nocks. Apply sparingly down one or 2 sides of insert starting approximately 1/4 inch up from leading edge and stopping arrpoximately that far from end.. Center nock in shaft up to point where glue starts and set it in place by pushing back of insert against bench. Wipe off any excess glue. Do it quickly, firmly as delay can cause the nock to glue in prematurely. Some crazy glue has virtuallly no margin for delay.
I do not glue on plastic nocks in my GTII's. They press fit and can be adjusted to exact spot with pliers. That way I can pull knocks to spray shaft with lacquer, refletch, or replace broken nock.
As for gear, I'd start with learning how to serve and change strings. Then fletching.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cossack,
Been looking at Cabelas and at BassPro but neither carries the 4 dot. Can you tell me what you paid for yours and who you ordered it from?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts