Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say hello to this great nation!
While taking my 370 apart to do it up in black truck bed liner spray,
I figured I'd take a look at the trigger assembly and see what can be done about all that creep.
I'm well aware of the trigger mod kit available and developed on this forum and had every intent of getting one.
Getting the trigger box out is relatively simple other than getting the clip off the trigger linkage and reassembling it etc.
I found a simple way that requires no drilling or tapping or voiding your warranty and can be done for less than a buck and is totally reversible with simple hand tools in about 20 minutes.
In the pictures you'll see the rear opening of the rail after removing the 4 screws to remove the stock/trigger surround, no need to remove anything but those 4 screws. One behind the grip and the two in front and the self threading Phillips screw below the rope cocking groove. Simple place the trigger guard on your knee and break the rail out like breaking a double barrel shotgun open. Finagle the rail assembly out of the stock being careful of the trigger to slide up and out.
No further disassembly needed.
First pic shows normal position of the sear release.
Second pic shows the trigger pulled.

We are going to make a simple aluminum plate to lift the sear release eliminating the creep and get a 3/8" pull with the stock spring pressure to keep it all safe, no hair trigger, just less travel to fire.
It will feel like a fine rifle compared to stock.
Third pic shows aluminum plate to be made.
4th, 5th, 6th pic shows dimensions
3/64" thick 1/2" deep and roughly 21/32" wide for the slot.
You want the width to taper slightly so you get a good friction fit.
Just use a file and take your time and hand fit it so you have to push it in with just some resistance. This will allow you to adjust the travel depending on how far you push the plate in.
The 1/2" depth of the plate should be just in enough to get under the sear release, if you push it in deeper the travel will decrease more and more (not good).
Pull and hold the trigger for the next step.
I found that putting the plate in with needle nose pliers just below flush of the rail a bit is plenty for a nice safe trigger adjust accordingly.
Use a screw driver as shown in the pic to get the plate flat and level in the slot for a snug fit.
You can test the trigger travel at any time now by using a suitable steel rod like a screw driver about the same diameter as the string serving area. Put safety on fire slide your rod back on the sear cock to engage full cock and safety, while pushing up and forward to engage the dry fire mechanism push forward to mimic the string and slowly pull the trigger to see where it breaks. It should be approximately 3/8" before your rod slips forward. That's your new trigger pull. you can adjust for less but for me I'm safely happy with the 3/8".
In the pics you'll see I used some black shoe goo to keep it in place, you can use silicone adhesive etc. It should be something removable.... DO NOT USE EPOXY.
There is no pressure or shock on the plate, you simply want a nice friction fit and some goo to make sure it doesn't vibrate out of place but is totally removable by just cutting or pulling your goo off and slide the plate out with needle nose pliers.
If you want finer adjustment just file a taper on the thickness where it engages under the sear release so sliding it in or out will give finer adjustment. All safety's remain fully functional as only the trigger travel has been reduced.

Hope you guys found this helpful. The Sniper is a great Xbow and even better when the trigger lives up to the expectation. If I can be of any help or offer assistance just ask. Enjoy!!
My trigger is now everything I wanted and this setup is just a pleasure to shoot knowing the trigger is crisp with just the right amount of travel for safety and breaks clean as in any normal target rifle.
*DISCLAIMER*
*Any modifications whatsoever are done at your own risk and can endanger your life!!*
I'll continue some more pics on testing in the next post........
Auto part Seat belt
Finger Hand Thumb Auto part
Calipers Measuring instrument Tire Technology Automotive tire
Calipers Measuring instrument Tire Tool Gauge
Calipers Measuring instrument Tool Gauge Tire
Photography Auto part
Cutting tool
Water
Photography

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the following pics you see the low pressure stringing I used as posted by Looneytunes.
http://www.crossbownation.com/community/threads/center-point-sniper-370.37791/page-20#post-434201
I used parachord with just enough tension so I could cock it by hand and pushed the antidry fire lever to disengage safety.
And my trigger travel measurement at 3/8" under that test, but I did live fire it and it tested perfectly.
Safety engagement is normal and so is safety release, pulling the trigger is great now!
I changed the stock to an A frame style mil spec with removable rubber pad, much better than the original and added a bi-pod, as you can see I haven't even mounted a scope yet, not needed for trigger discharge testing.
Tire Bicycle tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle Bicycle part
Measuring instrument Calipers
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Airsoft
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Dan - If also you want to try a lighter spring to drop that 6 lb pull to about 4 lbs, let me know.

Nice mod.!

Reactions: 2a4fun

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To me the shorter travel just makes the whole trigger feel better, I'll have to dig out my scale to test the pull.
It doesn't really feel excessive now.

Reactions: Canadian Idle

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
To me the shorter travel just makes the whole trigger feel better, I'll have to dig out my scale to test the pull.
It doesn't really feel excessive now.
You loaded the rocker with the spacer so pressure will be the same, which will be in the 6 lb range. The OE spring is a 30 lber at .250 compression. Pretty stout for a trigger spring but certainly something a guy can get accustomed to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The way I am understanding this is that to do this modification the only disassembling needed is to remove the stock?

No need to remove the trigger box?

Thank you for the write up.
Correct, just remove the stock and the workings are exposed. Your welcome!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You loaded the rocker with the spacer so pressure will be the same, which will be in the 6 lb range. The OE spring is a 30 lber at .250 compression. Pretty stout for a trigger spring but certainly something a guy can get accustomed to.

For some reason the trigger just doesn't feel that heavy maybe it's just that you don't have to press as much for the shorter travel, still haven't found my scale to measure it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You're right. That will take the loose out of the front end of the travel. Quick and easy. However, it still has the same amount of travel with the same pressure. I attempted to take out the pre-travel travel and shorten the actual travel. Without shortening the safety pin you cannot change the actual travel. Without changing the spring you can't lighten the trigger pull weight. It depends on what the final destination is as to which route you take. Some will be happy with the slop taken out, some want a shorter, lighter trigger. Personal preferences are what makes your crossbow yours. Here is a picture of mine. I think I am finished.

Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Airsoft gun

BSA 4x32 scope, HMA optimizer, and custom made trigger with 3.3 pound pull weight and less than 1/4 inch travel. I am happy with this system. I like it when my weapons surprise me when they fire. No time to flinch or jerk. This is a heavier trigger than my target rifles but I don't normally shoot targets with my gloves on. It all depends on each individual. Good luck to all.

By the way, I do like this mod. I was not trying to take anything away from the sheer simplicity of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looneytunes, thanks. Nice setup you have there. :cool:
I accomplished what I set to do in a simple method.
The trigger travel is just where I like it or can be fine tuned even more for less travel. The intention was never to get the trigger lighter.
The pull weight never bothered me. But man that creep/long travel was horrible. It turned out just fine and remains safe and more of a pleasure to shoot it. I also just wanted to provide forum members and easy way to try it and see if they like it kind of trigger mod.
No expense, no surgery, no commitment.
BTW, I found out where my trigger scale was and should have it returned tomorrow. Can't wait to see what it says I can't feel. :eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my trigger pull scale back today and here is the result over 4 shots, mind you the bow is still basically new, less than 20 shots. So I expect it to get just a tad better after "break in". :rolleyes:
Scale shows 4 lb 6oz I suppose I was right as it didn't feel over weight. The travel remains at 3/8". Just might play with it more and shorten the travel to actually see if the pull gets me to about 4 lbs or if there is any change at all.
Time to play.....
Cylinder

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got my trigger pull scale back today and here is the result over 4 shots, mind you the bow is still basically new, less than 20 shots. So I expect it to get just a tad better after "break in". :rolleyes:
Scale shows 4 lb 6oz I suppose I was right as it didn't feel over weight. The travel remains at 3/8". Just might play with it more and shorten the travel to actually see if the pull gets me to about 4 lbs or if there is any change at all.
Time to play.....
View attachment 36465
Shortening the trigger pull the way you are going about it will lighten the trigger pull. This works because the sear area on the release is actually a radius. You are pre-pulling the trigger by adding pressure to the back of the pivot bar. Just make sure your safety is on when you make your changes and that it still works properly after changes are made. You can only take out a small amount of travel without shortening the safety pin. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep totally agree! That's why I stayed with 3/8". You can pull the trigger all you want cocked and loaded and no worries about an accidental fire when moving the safety to fire. I've reached my happy medium with a shorter pull at a reasonable weight. Believe me I know the difference in triggers, if you ever had a chance to fire a 2lb Triggertech, it's like Holy $hite that was easy! Triggertech is the ultimate target shooting setup for a xbow. I would find it too light to hunt with until you gave up all other triggers and really got comfortable with the easy touch.
Thanks again for tips.

·
Registered
Scorpyd Aculeus 160 Aerocrank AD, Scorpyd Ventilator 110, Scorpyd Deathstalker 420
808 Posts
Yep totally agree! That's why I stayed with 3/8". You can pull the trigger all you want cocked and loaded and no worries about an accidental fire when moving the safety to fire. I've reached my happy medium with a shorter pull at a reasonable weight. Believe me I know the difference in triggers, if you ever had a chance to fire a 2lb Triggertech, it's like Holy $hite that was easy! Triggertech is the ultimate target shooting setup for a xbow. I would find it too light to hunt with until you gave up all other triggers and really got comfortable with the easy touch.
Thanks again for tips.
I tried your quick fix and like my trigger pull now. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looneytunes, thanks. Nice setup you have there. :cool:
I accomplished what I set to do in a simple method.
The trigger travel is just where I like it or can be fine tuned even more for less travel. The intention was never to get the trigger lighter.
The pull weight never bothered me. But man that creep/long travel was horrible. It turned out just fine and remains safe and more of a pleasure to shoot it. I also just wanted to provide forum members and easy way to try it and see if they like it kind of trigger mod.
No expense, no surgery, no commitment.
BTW, I found out where my trigger scale was and should have it returned tomorrow. Can't wait to see what it says I can't feel. :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys brand new here, my son and I both have the snipers and are just taking them apart to install the "spacer" great fix for the huge amount of creep these things have. Just wanted to thank you and wanted to double check that no one has seen any issues with the safety. Hate to turn my kid loose and have any issues. Thanks again for sharing !

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Enjoy the mod, as long as you don't reduce the trigger travel beyond 3/8" it's as safe as stock. I've tested my safety cocked many times.
disclaimer... any mod can be dangerous always use caution, the life you save might be your own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a quick FYI........ I attempted this on a 2018 production Sniper (January 2018)
Here's what I found, apparently they changed somethings inside.
The problem is if the trigger is pre-pulled even a little bit as in this mod it prevents the safety from working.
So they probably did something to the safety pin or whatever.
Also just looking inside the 2018 it seemed a bit different. I didn't take my 2016 Sniper apart to compare them so I referred to the first two pictures in this thread, bottomline is on the newer Snipers this won't work as far as I can tell with the 2018 Sniper I tried.

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Just a quick FYI........ I attempted this on a 2018 production Sniper (January 2018)
Here's what I found, apparently they changed somethings inside.
The problem is if the trigger is pre-pulled even a little bit as in this mod it prevents the safety from working.
So they probably did something to the safety pin or whatever.
Also just looking inside the 2018 it seemed a bit different. I didn't take my 2016 Sniper apart to compare them so I referred to the first two pictures in this thread, bottomline is on the newer Snipers this won't work as far as I can tell with the 2018 Sniper I tried.
Actually the trigger box, all the related trigger linkage pieces (rocker, spring, pin, etc.) and the flight rail channel are exactly the same as they were in 2015. The only change I can see is the camo screw lengths going from 10mm to 12mm and that happened in 2017.

Screw Nut Metal

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I guess your pro trigger mod still works. I believe it has something to do with that pin you've mentioned about shortening etc. I thought I'd post this just in case someone wants to try this and runs into the same problem.

Reactions: abwgtx
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.