Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a morning hunt that came to be out of a promise made to buckmaster's father. He is a very dedicated and consistent hunter. Normally I don't do morning hunts because nights are a very difficult time for me but this promise put me on the stand. Just before 8:30 two does and a fawn came from the west out of state land, running between Bob and me. Fortunately for me, they turned in my direction.

They came into what was left of my little food plot and dug around in it. The range was good but I could take no shot because the fawn kept getting in the way. Then for some reason one of the does went south toward Bob, then stopped, and abruptly turned around and walked directly in front of me at 15 yards. My C5 crossbow was in its stand on my rotating table so that my Parkinson's does not affect the shot. I put the dot on the heart and released the arrow. It was a solid pass through shot. The doe angled down the hill from my blind.

There was good blood at the point of the hit so I marked it and waited for Bob to help me. We found the arrow directly behind the spot where the shot had gone. It was red from the nock to the end of the shaft. The insert and thunderhead broadhead were gone. I have not figured out how that happened.

Bob picked up the trail and we found the doe about 60-65 yards down the hill piled up under some small balsams. The arrow had creased the back part of the heart and it split the liver in two. Apparently the deer was on a greater angle than I had realized. After field dressing the animal, a neighbor took the deer back to our camp with his quad. As Bob is not much more mobile than I am, that was a life saver.

As those were the only deer to come in range this season, I am very grateful for the opportunity to take that animal. It was the first time that I took a deer in the morning during archery season. Bob and his wife prepared a fine celebratory dinner that night in their trailer. They are outstanding folks as is buckmaster. Having them in camp this year made for a very special time. Buckmaster even saved a piece of Thanksgiving pecan pie for me. In my book, hunting does not get much better than great friends and good times in the outdoors. Bob may even talk me into another morning hunt next year!

·
Hunter
6,184 Posts
ridgehunter, Congratulations on your successful hunt.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. A year where everything comes together like this one did, is very rare for me so I guess that I appreciate it that much more. The only thing that would beat a year like this, hands down, is seeing my granddaughter get her first deer.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! 2015 was a much different hunt but that is a story in another thread. The unforgettable part of the hunt this year was hunting with my granddaughter. She did not get a deer nor did I but we had a grand time together!

·
Registered
12,842 Posts
A great story and glad to hear you and the grand daughter had "stand time" together. You might forget about a deer you shot but you'll NEVER forget the time spent outdoors with family. :)

Reactions: ridgehunter

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. This is what hunting is all about! Congratulations on your harvest.

·
2,087 Posts
Great story congratulations ridgehunter, I also seldom hunt mornings but it's sure nice to fallow a blood trail in the daylight. Coyotes got my first doe this year because of very tall grass and darkness had passed within ten feet of her, luckily I got another a week or so later and died within eyesight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts