Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate saying this but the 1st impression when I shouldered it I thought - “this feels like a rifle"! o_O

I ended up with the older Predator camo and not the newer “dusk” pattern but I like it. The quiver is rather blah but effective and the thumb releases on both the crank and quiver seemed more difficult to put on and off than it should be. Then again they are plastic.

They could have left the scope back in China, I won’t be using it. This scope is what I’d expect to be in a Barnett package, not a Ravin.

In honesty though, the height from the top of the comb to the center of the ocular is about 5/8” lower than the XB75 on my DS. Can’t pick up a good image with my progressive lenses but my Zeiss prescription single vision shooting glasses worked better. Sighting thru the scope would probably work better if I was shooting at the foot of my stand.

I pulled the scope off and mounted my spare Vortex Venom red dot on top of a 1” UTG riser mount and the view was great - only about an 1/8” lower than the XB75. I can sight it in for 35 yards and only be about 2 1/4” high below 35 yards and 2” low at 40 yards. I’m thinking about scrounging up a Jack Plate if I can run across a bargain somewhere.

The (3) .003” bolts weighed 400.0, 400.2. and 400.0 grains - I put Jerry’s stainless steel points instead of the included Ravin points.

After tomorrow’s opener with the DS, I’ll cock it and whiz a couple bolts thru the chrony.

The cables are set right at the edge of the lower dots and I have a 10 3/8” ATA like riflenut's pic below.

"This next pic shows timing (cables) laying toward back dots and they are symmetric with ATA less than the target ATA of 10.5”.

In this example it suggest too much twist in cables. Some twist needs to come out of all cables".

I’ll shoot it awhile before making any changes since I have to come up with a press option. I wish I’d gotten BigBird1’s serving diameter adjuster when I ordered the other items. We’ll see how it goes.

4d733473-9de2-4f83-af0f-a1356d38f781-jpeg.170494.jpeg

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
You will appreciate tight nock fit with standard Ravin strings! Happy hunting, got mine last November, shot 4 deer since-on third set of threads, but second set of AS stuff got me more than a thousand shots-right in the middle of the covid shut down, had nothin’ better to do! Shot out a big shot 450, though!
Steve

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
TP,
I guarantee once your sling some arrows down range with your new R10, you'll see the cam timing shift towards the front dots and that ATA stretch out a little. My advice is don't even think about untwisting your cables yet. Ravin sets the timing towards the back dots for a reason.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Once you get to shooting this bow in the woods and adjust to the cocking and decoking it gets hard to settle for any other bow. I have 2 really nice Scorpyds collecting dust.
Decocking is a breeze. Keep your thumb on the latch button and dont stop unwinding till its done. No starting and stopping or letting off the thumb latch and you will never have an issue. Even in total darkeness.

Use some exacutioners with 110 grain inserts and 100 grain points cut to 20" and some spin wings with a very slight offset right and get prepaired for some mind blowing accuracy.

Congratulations on your new bow.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I hate saying this but the 1st impression when I shouldered it I thought - “this feels like a rifle"! o_O
Oh great, way to go, TPCollins!
Now iron Duke will be ripping this thread apart for sure!
LOLOLOL, J/K!
As stated, mind blowing and bad azz for sure.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Back a week now from my hunt out west. Took 4 animals with my Ravin R15 & Swat XMag Broadheads. After returning I went to a local Archery Shop & purchased a new R29. Some talk negative about Ravin but I’ll take their accuracy, tune-ability, ease of cranking and zero consistency all day long.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Cool,
This is fast becoming a Ravin fanboy thread. They are definitely addictive.
Seaon opens Saturday in my neck of the woods and weather is looking great. Nothin like climbing up in a tree stand for the first hunt and sitting back to enjoy mother nature at it's best.
Might even have some new threads on my R10.:)

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool,
This is fast becoming a Ravin fanboy thread. They are definitely addictive.
The springs for the depress buttons that hold the quiver and crank are way too stiff. I took one off thinking it would come apart where the ”seam” is and I could put a softer spring in it but the two halves must be glued together.

Any thoughts on how to separate them?

·
Registered
401 Posts
i ditched the cheepo quiver and added a top mount bracket and a new a 3 arrow quickie quiver.

Very nice for walking with bow on your back using using the shoulder strap. The quiver will not bang in to your back and drop arrows out.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The springs for the depress buttons that hold the quiver and crank are way too stiff. I took one off thinking it would come apart where the ”seam” is and I could put a softer spring in it but the two halves must be glued together.

Any thoughts on how to separate them?
I would get Bigbird's crank relocation bracket and use a quiver for your arrows. I have an R10 and love that set up. The crank holder/quiver bracket just does not work for me.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would get Bigbird's crank relocation bracket and use a quiver for your arrows. I have an R10 and love that set up. The crank holder/quiver bracket just does not work for me.
I have his crank mount on the way. My issue with the quiver is the release is tucked away and I can’t get a firm push on it. There’s a guy on eBay selling a “kit” for $22 to move the quiver bracket to the top of the crossbow by means of 2 threaded rods and 4 nuts. Looks a bit cheesy.

I hunted opening day yesterday with the Deathstalker and when I took the Grip quiver off, I just stuck it onto a 1 1/8” diameter limb. Still my favorite quiver of all time.

IMG_1112.JPG

Reactions: Hidden Waters

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
TP,
Sorry but I have no problem at all with the Ravin quiver and even the Ravin mount (minus the crank holder thumb button) for it.
I always remove the quiver once I get in a tree stand and merely hang it on a limb or most often, lay it behind my seat horizontally.
IMO, just like you will get accustomed to nocking an arrow with a little more force, you will get used to easily pushing that quiver thumb button as well.
Here's 2 pics. with my wife releasing the Ravin quiver on my R10. She had no problem whatsoever pushing that button in. You just need to provide leverage to your thumb by wrapping your hand around the riser.
Just because something is different than what you're accustomed to doesn't make it inferior.
You just need to adapt appropriately.

BTW, an old trick I learned early on with my Ravins that helps to make it easier for it to hang on your shoulder is mount the shoulder sling up closer to the front of the bow. That's why you might notice the 2 rope knots in the riser holes. By transferring the bow weight further to the front, your Ravin will shoulder more like a rifle. Next, place the quiver mount on the right side if you're right handed (looking front the front of the crossbow) and you'll find the quiver doesn't get in the way at all.
Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's 2 pics. with my wife releasing the Ravin quiver on my R10. She had no problem whatsoever pushing that button in. You just need to provide leverage to your thumb by wrapping your hand around the riser.

Just because something is different than what you're accustomed to doesn't make it inferior.
I never said the quiver was inferior - just more difficult than it should be.

Reaching inside and grabbing the rail does make it easier. Thanks.

It does looks like the quiver and crank “release housings” are molded as a one piece, a spring is inserted, and the trigger section is snapped into place. I’d like to try a softer spring but it looks like it will break before it separates wide enough for the tapered stops to clear the inner edges on both sides. I don’t think hot water will help either.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have his crank mount on the way. My issue with the quiver is the release is tucked away and I can’t get a firm push on it. There’s a guy on eBay selling a “kit” for $22 to move the quiver bracket to the top of the crossbow by means of 2 threaded rods and 4 nuts. Looks a bit cheesy.

I hunted opening day yesterday with the Deathstalker and when I took the Grip quiver off, I just stuck it onto a 1 1/8” diameter limb. Still my favorite quiver of all time.

View attachment 185275
If you take the quiver off the bottom where it faces down and mount it on top where it will face up and carry it on your shoulder and walk in a brushy area when you get where you are going your quiver will be empty. Ask me how I know that.:oops:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts