Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R26 exploded today - see the picture below. Luckily I am not hurt, does anyone know, for this case, should Ravin replace the string only, or the string and the limbs, or the entire bow? This R26 was bought new less than two years ago. I only use the Ravin bolts and apply no mods to them.

First time to the range since December 2021, bow has been locked in the hard case in my storage room the whole time so no elements could get to the bow. I am shocked and don't understand how this could happen. TIA.

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Bicycle tire Electricity Wood

·
Crossbow Nut
5,132 Posts
They should cover it as long as you followed their guidelines; factory arrows, string, and change interval, etc. Contact them.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
How often was the cables/string lubed/waxed?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Here is the required information.
Ravin: Section: 10 Maintenance
#2 String and cables: recommend changing every 2 years or 400 shots.

My opinion here, the crossbow is highly over priced and a very poor design
if one has to change the string and cables with that small number of shots.
2 years for some one that does very little shooting, proves the string and
cables are poor quality.

Thankfully you did not get injured.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Thanks all. The string was actually changed last Fall, by the dealer, done professionally. It was still a relatively new string, until it broke.
Your dealer should be able to do the warranty work instead of having to box it up and ship! I'd check with them first, since they did the string change.

·
SE VA
13,737 Posts
When I bought my R26 3 years ago, its string and cables were horrible. I immediately decided to do something to prevent the bow from collapsing on me. Out of the box it was shooting the supplied arrows 403 fps. I’ve never been a speed freak but I love the small size of the R26 and lots of its other features so I quickly decided to buy a set of R29 string and cables from Archery Shack. I purchased a bow press for Ravin crossbows so it only took a few minutes to install the R29 set. The ATA was about an inch wider with less limb stress. It now shoots my 403 grain arrows 352 fps. Now, 2.5 years later with quite a bit of year round shooting, I’m seeing absolutely no timing change or signs of string/cable wear. I love this crossbow now but if I had depended on the factory R26 setup I wouldn’t be owning it now.
Bicycle Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
176 Posts
For the top money Ravin gets for their bows , the expectation should be outstanding quality and reliability. The fact that string snapped is very unusual. Did your dealer replace the string with an OEM Ravin string or an aftermarket ? If the string is aftermarket , dealer installed or not that might be an issue with warranty. Sounds like the op did everything correct as far as maintenence, and me personally if I was in the same situation, I would want Ravin to do a complete bow component inspection after a failure of this kind.

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Looks like a factory string to me!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Limbs, cams, bearings, axles, limb rockers, limb pockets, maybe the riser, string and cables is the least of what I would expect to be replaced after that.

Ravins R26 string and cable sets arent up to snuff for the short stout limbs on the little rocket. The 26 eats them up fast. Not enough strands and they need a better serving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the top money Ravin gets for their bows , the expectation should be outstanding quality and reliability. The fact that string snapped is very unusual. Did your dealer replace the string with an OEM Ravin string or an aftermarket ? If the string is aftermarket , dealer installed or not that might be an issue with warranty. Sounds like the op did everything correct as far as maintenence, and me personally if I was in the same situation, I would want Ravin to do a complete bow component inspection after a failure of this kind.
Definitely OEM Ravin string.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I bought my R26 3 years ago, its string and cables were horrible. I immediately decided to do something to prevent the bow from collapsing on me. Out of the box it was shooting the supplied arrows 403 fps. I’ve never been a speed freak but I love the small size of the R26 and lots of its other features so I quickly decided to buy a set of R29 string and cables from Archery Shack. I purchased a bow press for Ravin crossbows so it only took a few minutes to install the R29 set. The ATA was about an inch wider with less limb stress. It now shoots my 403 grain arrows 352 fps. Now, 2.5 years later with quite a bit of year round shooting, I’m seeing absolutely no timing change or signs of string/cable wear. I love this crossbow now but if I had depended on the factory R26 setup I wouldn’t be owning it now.
View attachment 224317
This sounds like a great idea, but I worry any mod might risk voiding the warranty?

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I have a similar concern with my R10.

That's a lot of energy slamming to a sudden stop.

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
1,128 Posts
The R 10, 15, 29 ,29x, and 20 all use the same strings and cables. The R26 is different. For some reason Ive seen it snap the string more than the others. I have no explanation why. All Ravins are rough on strings. Nature of the beast when you have that narrow of a axle to axle. But they handle nice and shoot damn good. And have a anti fire.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts