Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting my NULA smokeless muzzleloader for years now and wanted to further my hunting season so my endeavor into crossbows began. After much deliberation, testing of various brands along with personal conversations with reps/owners (supposedly) in the know, I settled in on a Tenpoint Vapor 470. I finally received it Saturday and just had to test it out. I have the BDX system installed and was curious to see how it performed after opening the box. Full disclosure, I had my vendor do the initial set up so it was a matter of checking all the mechanical attachment points, mount the scope and head out.

To my dismay there was an 8-12 mph constant cross wind coming across the bean field so there was nothing to break the wind. I took shots at 20-30-40-and 50 yards just to see what this thing could do using a gun vise on a card table as a rest. The shots at 20 and 30 yds were dead nuts on. It became evident that beyond that range the wind played tricks with my aimpoint. Not being really familiar with windage and elevation clicks on the turrets I decided to leave them be and just take shots at a specific point and see if they were constantly off target point. Side point: Shooting my ML with a 45 Cal bullet traveling at 2250 fps, a light wind really does not come into play at under 100 yards. But with a 445-gr arrow at +/-450 fps the flight path indeed does. It was this observation made me start to think hard about ethical kill ranges and all the different considerations that come into play when taking a longer range shot.

Any how the pictures below show three shots at 54.2 yards aiming at the center target. The lower left were shots one and two. Now the third shot I was fearing hitting one of my new arrows but I kept the aimpoint centered on the center target and it was slightly to the right of the mark. I presumed possibly a break in the wind during that shot.

Also, I wanted to show the depth of impact at that distance using a Delta Speed Bag target. I Mac'gyvered up a stand to hang it so the swing motion would help absorb some of the impact. When time permits and the wind cooperates, I will try another test and report back.

Vapor 470.jpg

54 yds.jpg

IMG-0618.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Congrats and enjoy, Aqua12345.

That is a killer setup you have purchased.
Good luck on your hunting trips this year.

Remember the cocking sequence, including the 2 backwinds followed by the 3rd backwind while pressing the gear release button.
That releases any extra tension on the trigger box.
It will come natural after a while.

Also, remember to fully engage the trigger box to the string so as not to catch the string on the Anti-Dry Fire pin only.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Great setup and good shooting for the first time out! Congrats on both.

Your BDX scope and rangefinder are notably different than traditional scopes with ballistic program used to do the auto-ranging. The SIG site BDX videos can help you get familiar with the features like the adjustment for wind.

X2 in a Killer setup!

·
8,855 Posts
Good luck … with the new crossbow. Great choice, great company.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
116 Posts
I too have a NULA muzzleloader......scary accurate with no rush to clean up! I have a NULA .22 also as my main squirrel rifle. I have the Viper instead of the Vapor, but I can't hold that against you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 183333
Iron Duke,
I have enjoyed reading your posts and I have just come to realize that you seem have a hat for every brand that the disscusssion is pertaining to, and they all look new. I wonder what that closet wall looks like?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I stated before my vendor set up the BDX system originally and I do have the original settings that were used for that set up. I still want to prove out that the scope is set up correctly and run another accuracy test under perfect conditions to prove out those settings. I have not downloaded the BDX app because as soon as I open and link to my equipment all input information is lost and I would have to go it alone and reset everything.
In light of this happening some day I ordered a ProChrono DLX which I justified by the ability to use on my other equipment besides arrows. My starting point will be to verify tht the speed that I was given is actually 453 FPS.

·
Registered
568 Posts
View attachment 183333
You know Iron Duke, if moon sends you a Ravin tumbler for Christmas, you could at least send him your Tenpoint hat. As they say, better to give then receive. Besides it still has the tag on it. ;) Oh, also all them dead deer on the back of your truck, I wouldn't leave them set out in the sun to long. :D :giggle: Just saying. Stay safe. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
I too have a NULA muzzleloader......scary accurate with no rush to clean up!...
I thought with black powder you have to clean it frequently for fear of rust, no?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought with black powder you have to clean it frequently for fear of rust, no?

Dynamo,
This is far from crossbows, but we use smokeless powder in our NULA's Only a few manufacuers products can handel those pressures. It burns cleaner so no smoke and you can actually see what you hit. You still have to clean.....

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Dynamo,
This is far from crossbows, but we use smokeless powder in our NULA's Only a few manufacuers products can handel those pressures. It burns cleaner so no smoke and you can actually see what you hit. You still have to clean.....
OK, that makes sense.
For some reason, I equate muzzle-loaders with black powder, a wad and a ramrod.
Probably because I have not followed up on them for decades.
Thanks for clarifying, Aqua12345.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Iron Duke,
I have enjoyed reading your posts and I have just come to realize that you seem have a hat for every brand that the disscusssion is pertaining to, and they all look new. I wonder what that closet wall looks like?
Yeah Duke,when are you gonna come out of the closet?.... Uh, oh crap! He was talking about crossbows in closet. My bad. :unsure:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Really, with some of the pictures (non crossbow related) that Iron Duke posts on this forum, I don't think you have to be concerned about him being in a closet. :D :cool: ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts