Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new neighbor that moved in 3 doors down, that previously lived and gun hunted out west, in flat open terrain. A couple days ago I was in the back yard testing and trailing arrows trying to develop the best arrow length/ weight combination for my new Sniper back up bow and he came over to watch. This is now the 3rd length / weight combination and the bow is starting to come in pretty close - but I'm just not satisfied that it's within it's accuracy capabilities quite yet. But Jim watches in awe and I can tell he wants to shoot the bow, so I hand it to him after explaining the danger zones, finger and hand placement, although with a vertical fore grip the forward hand is pretty much out of the equation.

5 shots later Jim is shooting my 70 yard target and can't believe his eyes........everything I have heard about crossbows is true, I could make a 100 - 150 yard shot all day long with this thing....Jim states.

Only if you have a hankering to keep the coyotes fed regularly Jim, this is an up close and personal , hunting tool. I have been doing this a long, long time and shooting an arrow over 50 yards at a deer is not bow hunting, its pulling the trigger and wishing. Getting the animal in close is where the real skill comes in. Standing here pumping arrow after arrow into a target that stands still, on wide open, flat terrain, at a known distance is worlds away from hunting. I strictly use this range for testing and proving arrow and broad head combinations, it's certainly not hunting. In 23 years of crossbow hunting I took my longest shot ever on a deer last year at 48 yards and everything was in my favor: completely relaxed animal, broadside, very slight wind in my face, bow in a Caldwell Deadshot, with the deer standing in a wide open pasture field, from my ground blind, the arrow passed thru the heart and the deer went down in 20' after the arrow impact and heart pass through. Those opportunities are so few and far in between there are not even odds for it happening again!

Well you guessed it.......2 weeks later Jim's got a new mythical and magical crossbow with targets set up in the back yard at 100 and 150 yards, I'm certain he has lost his kit arrows into the wild blue yonder as I saw him unloading new (off the shelf) arrows from his car.

I didn't create this monster........he's a self made, story book bow hunter that will soon have the coyotes on standby!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great rendition of events that happen everyday. Reminds me that grocery store hunting has taken our ability to make rational decisions out of the hands of the general public.

Thanks for sharing the story!!! My longest was 44 yards, solid rest, deer stopped completely. Now, as I age, it's my 30 yard reality....or under. Or, I pass and watch them.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry

About the same here, have taken a lot of deer 20 yards and under. My longest shot was only with conditions that will probably never happen again in my life time. Saw a nice young 8 point buck the other day that had a big bare spot high and to the rear haunch and pretty much had no doubt that this was a result of a poor shot attempt that wasn't even close to proper shot placement on a deer. Too many guys think that these new super duper, drop em dead.... broad heads will kill a deer if they hit it anywhere, they get so excited they can't control their emotions and shoot at the whole deer, which so many times keeps the yotes well fed. I was just glad this little guy survived a slobs poor shot.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Eric you can lead a horse to water, But you can't make him drink. Some peep's are just like that! I agree with you on the longer shots. I believe I could take a deer at 40 yards but not much further. Things just have to be right to make it happen after 40 yards. I'm just glad most the peep's that think that way aren't that good at hunting. And shoot the yotes have to eat!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts