Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retirement

As of today, I’ve been retired for 2 years. For me, retirement has been great!
2 years ago, I started teaching the NASP (National Archery School Program - all in 50 states, I believe) in our local school.

Without question, I’m ADHD : moderation just isn’t one of my faults! Just ask my wife (of 51 1/2 years) if you don’t believe me. I’ve shot instinctive since I was 6-7 years old. I currently shoot 3 recurves - 2 right handed(eyed) and 1 left handed (eyed). Strange but true.

This program uses the Mathews Genesis compound, zero letoff bow. Brilliant design. 10 and 15 meters. It’s not as easy as it appears on the surface. But, it’s fun for the kids. Previously non-competitive kids become very competitive. It’s like a light bulb goes on in them. Kids who have had some discipline and grade problems change radically because they understand the strict standards that they must maintain to be eligible to remain on the team. Many of these kids start becoming much more sociable and personally interactive rather than remaining addicted to their cyber world activities.

Now in my 62nd consecutive year of deer hunting with a vertical recurve, I have to work to be competitive with my students. I have my own Genesis bow and compete with my grandson(13 years old) at home. Incidentally, he is a 7th grader and on the 6th- 8th grade team which took 1st place in a regional tournament last weekend. He won 2nd place overall out of appx 150 archer’s.

If you are able and have an interest in giving back to our sport, please consider getting involved in this program. You can be instrumental in helping change lives. It’s more blessed to give than receive, and the givers get blessed also.

The first picture is from the tournament last weekend and the second is just our own team back at home at practice.

14,512 Posts
Properly applied … the martial arts are an invaluable character builder for people, particularly young people.
BRAVO!
Kyūdō Archery Gungdo Arrow Stock photography

Reactions: bmiller and SEW

14,512 Posts
IDK if those dudes quite applied it properly though!! Look at the foot wear they're rock'n!!!
Yeah … but something instinctively tells me I wouldn't want to be in a "gun" fight with any one of those three.;)

Reactions: SEW

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,902 Posts
Well done Sew. Looks like a fulfilling retirement activity helping those young people interested in archery.;):)

· Registered
1,876 Posts
A laudable effort, I very much agree.
My club does kid's events from time to time as well. And while they usually enjoy, very few stick to it.
Although this is a rural area, with plenty of other outdoor activities. Football (Am: soccer ;)) is much more popular.

Yeah … but something instinctively tells me I wouldn't want to be in a "gun" fight with any one of those three.
Looks like kyudo to me. The point of kyudo is not hitting a target, but proper formal execution. AFAIK, they even have "mastership degrees" like the belt/dan in karate ...
Looks cool, though.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
That would explain the off center arrow nock'n points!.....
Actually, no.
Japanese bows are made that way. The lower limb is much shorter and stiffer then the upper, so the nocking point (which is in the force center, not the geometrical center) is low as well.
Samurais (supposedly) had the same bows. There are nice YT videos of Japanese trad events, where you could see guys shooting with such a bow from a galopping horse. The short lower limb comes in handy here, and the long upper one is not much in the way.
For trad shooting, I like the very short Korean bows more.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
My head is swelling up with all I'm learn'n hang'n with you wb!!! Buuut, I think I'll stick to my Swat!
Occasionally doing thumb archery, with a Korean bow. And rather mediocre success ...
But it's fun. And I learned quite a bit about such exotic archery styles.

2,332 Posts
Sew: The kids are the future of archery. I went to a Nasp tournament a couple years ago and was amazed. I'm told that they started the tournament with 10,000 shooters. There was well over 1,000 in Louisville at this tournament. Nasp was started here in Kentucky and with volunteers like yourself, has spread to just about every state now. Thank you for what you are doing.

6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kids who haven’t excelled in other physically demanding sports can be transformed by the NASP program. Physical strength and quick reactions are not at the forefront in this sport. These kids developed greater levels of mental discipline (greatly needed, these days) in this type of shooting.
Due to the strict requirements concerning deportment and grades in order to participate, previous discipline and academic problems are corrected in some of the participants.
The benefits of the NASP program extend well beyond archery.

6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As previously stated, our team won first place at the local tournament (Maynard, AR) . My grandson, 13, 7th grader, took 2nd place overall and the girl to his right(left in picture) took 5th place overall. They’re in the front with the bows.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.