Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Light Automotive lighting Product Headlamp Auto part
We have this light at work and it's a bright light that stands up well under the conditions we put it through. I'm planning on ordering this but need some advice. You can buy this light with either red lights on the side or green lights on the sides. I'm leaning towards the green simply because that's what I use with my very cheap headlamp walking out simply because the red isn't bright enough.

With this light's brightness that isn't a problem. In the dark on the farm it clearly shines the whole deer with the red light on at 75 yards. I'm sure the green would be a bit brighter. So......what say ya? Do I want the green or red? And thanks ahead of time for your opinions.:)

· Registered
7,362 Posts
I take a different approach and wear/carry the smallest light as possible to get me around in the dark. It's a Browning brim mount that has white and green options. Very affordable, very small yet it has enough light to use to safely walk in the woods.
Electronic device Technology Cable Electronics accessory

When I'm hiking to or from my spot, I typically pull it off my cap and carry it in my right hand and shine it downward 3-5' in front of me. I'm not interested in advertising to anyone or any animal that I'm around.

I also carry a small variable beam tactical flashlight in my pack that can light up the woods if I need it to. Generally that's only needed when trailing an animal.

· Banned
5,838 Posts
Green reduces refraction in all animals eyes which gathers lightest light that enables them to see in the dark. They can not see green lights in the dark of night. It’s not my opinion but a scientific fact.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

· Registered
16,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the price I'm liking this light. The bigger bulb, the whte light, has high, medium, and lowbeams. The high is BRIGHT and could be very beneficial in tailing a shot deer. I already have a tactical flashlight and a cheap headlight but thought this will eliminate carrying both those lights to only wearing this one light. Thanks guys.....going green and ordering tonite.:)

· Registered
16,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought the light for $21. If I can get three years out of it I will be satisfied.;):)

14,512 Posts
I've killed … a boatload of animals at night and green alarms them almost as much as white. Green is about 80% of the intensity of white. Red can alarm them as well depending on how bright or powerful the beam is, but it's only about 20%-30% of the white light. I've run tests on wild animals of all three colors using both rheostats and adjustable aspherical lenses to gage brightness and intensity. We never use green kill lights; they're all red or white. I f you're going to use green, you might just as well use white instead. Basically boils down to the brighter the light the more it alarms animals. All stationary shooter position is done with red lights.

· Registered
16,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a lot of mixed opinions. I wont be hunting with this light. I just don't want to scare every animal in the woods when I'm walking out.:)

· Registered
531 Posts
Can you use regular AA batteries and not the rechargeables, and just change em out when they get weak?

Reactions: Gabowman

· Registered
18,463 Posts
I have tried both red and green over the years and stuck with the green. I have walked up to a lot of deer where I could have easily bow shot them in the dark and as long as they did not smell me they did not move. I walked up on a nice 8 point bedded down one morning and actually aimed at him with my crossbow but did not shoot as it was way before legal light. I finally put the bow down and turned off the light and he stood up and slowly walked off without blowing or spooking other deer.

· Registered
2,664 Posts
I've killed … a boatload of animals at night and green alarms them almost as much as white. Green is about 80% of the intensity of white. Red can alarm them as well depending on how bright or powerful the beam is, but it's only about 20%-30% of the white light. I've run tests on wild animals of all three colors using both rheostats and adjustable aspherical lenses to gage brightness and intensity. We never use green kill lights; they're all red or white. I f you're going to use green, you might just as well use white instead. Basically boils down to the brighter the light the more it alarms animals. All stationary shooter position is done with red lights.
Yep just ask the guys at wildlife innovations they sell them all. red is the least obtrusive but doesn't brighten up as good as green or white. But heck what do I know.

· Registered
274 Posts
I take a different approach and wear/carry the smallest light as possible to get me around in the dark. It's a Browning brim mount that has white and green options. Very affordable, very small yet it has enough light to use to safely walk in the woods.
View attachment 162034
When I'm hiking to or from my spot, I typically pull it off my cap and carry it in my right hand and shine it downward 3-5' in front of me. I'm not interested in advertising to anyone or any animal that I'm around.

I also carry a small variable beam tactical flashlight in my pack that can light up the woods if I need it to. Generally that's only needed when trailing an animal.
Good Point!

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Green reduces refraction in all animals eyes which gathers lightest light that enables them to see in the dark. They can not see green lights in the dark of night. It’s not my opinion but a scientific fact.

Are you sure about that? If you are color blind you still see red or blue lights but they are not as bright and appear gray. I just did some research and the science says if you hit a deer or coyote with a bright green or red light, it sees the difference between the light and surroundings, no question. Red light is the least harsh to them so a dim red light is better than a dim green light. But the key factor is the intensity and not the wavelength. If the light is bright enough for you to see them regardless of color, they can see it. Try it on your dog or cat...
If someone has reference to a study that 'proves' animals can't see a colored light, please post it. My Google search turned up dozens references to the contrary.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

· Registered
18,463 Posts
I do not know if they see red or green better but I know from years of personal experience using red and green lights that they react less in a green light around the places I hunt in than they do in red light. I have not had one spook from a green light yet unless it smelled me.

· Registered
20 Posts
View attachment 162032 We have this light at work and it's a bright light that stands up well under the conditions we put it through. I'm planning on ordering this but need some advice. You can buy this light with either red lights on the side or green lights on the sides. I'm leaning towards the green simply because that's what I use with my very cheap headlamp walking out simply because the red isn't bright enough.

With this light's brightness that isn't a problem. In the dark on the farm it clearly shines the whole deer with the red light on at 75 yards. I'm sure the green would be a bit brighter. So......what say ya? Do I want the green or red? And thanks ahead of time for your opinions.:)
I second this one. I have one and so does my son. Great light!

· Banned
5,838 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.