Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good target for both field points and broad heads?

The old one I had was gone in about a week with just field points.

I do not know how much I will shoot but the cheap rag bag was not the answer after about 50 shots.
CP whisper renegade 390
Chrony shows 365 to 369 for 20" bolts with 100 gr field points and 125 shows about 356 at 10 feet.
Thanks,

Jim

· Registered
395 Posts
Look into the Matrix target. It's up there in price but I am very happy with it. I have several other targets that are designed for crossbows but they do not work as well as my matrix. I also purchased this puller for my crossbow arrows in the matrix because it's tough to get a good enough grip on the shaft to pull them out. I've replaced 4 sections since 2016 when I bought it. It has stopped alot of compound bow arrows and for the last 2 yrs alot of crossbow arrows. My 3 kids shoot also. Look into it in my eyes it is well worth the extra money.
It is pretty big so stretching out your distance shooting isnt to nerve racking. I've only lost one arrow when shooting. It was with my compound bow. My kids on the other hand when we first started was a bit higher. Though they were 8,9,and 12. Now they are all pretty decent shooters.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,902 Posts

· Banned
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,724 Posts
I broke down and paid the price for a Blob Target awhile back. This guy that makes these and markets them is very appreciative and I'm confident the money is being put to good use for a good cause. I would gladly buy another one from him if I needed too.
I have one of his buisness cards that he sent me along with the Target and an arrow puller for free to show his appreciation.
Label Technology Material property Font Finger

5,933 Posts
Tree Plant
So the 18-1 is about 125 and the Matrix is several hundred more.

Anyone had problems with the 18-1?
Thanks, Jim
An 18-1 is a decent broadhead target. They are not fun to pull field point arrows from, nor broadheads when it’s cold. There is really nothing wrong with the rag bag or similar targets, you just need more and better packed filling. You will definitely be better off using a field point target for them, and a separate target for broadheads.

· Banned
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,724 Posts
One thing I've learnt about Archery products is you get what you pay for. Everything is on a price scale derived from the quality of the product. Every once in awhile you find a good deal but, not to often. If it costs $100.00 you know your good. If it costs $50.00 you know your going to need another soon.

· Registered
327 Posts
When I started shopping for my first crossbow, I knew that crossbows were ruff on targets and that was one of the things I considered in selecting the sub-1 lite. It was fast enough to hunt whitetails and slow enough that it wouldn't eat up targets... I think it's hard to fine one target that is good for field-points and broadheads.....For broadheads, I bought the Rineheart Rhino Brute target. It was expensive but will last a long time. My second choice would have been the Rhineheart 18-1. For fieldpoints, I bought the yellow jacket YJ 425 bag target ... If I had a 400 fps xbow, I would buy a Spyderweb target for fieldpoints and the Rhineheart brute target for the Broadheads. I agree with Marty, you get what you pay for.

2,083 Posts
I probably said this before,,but fill a cardboard box with layers of cardboard any and all types. Put a couple of old rugs in the back of the box. Box should be at least a ft deep 2 ft better. Shoot at marks or a bulls eye on the front of the box. When the broadhead is stuck in between the layers of cardboard, simply push the layers apart and carefully unscrew the broadhead. Pull the arrow out. Put back together. I know most will say too much trouble. But it works! And is chaep!! Been using mine for years. When inner cardboard gets shredded. Just add fresh cardboard.

· Registered
41 Posts
I probably said this before,,but fill a cardboard box with layers of cardboard any and all types. Put a couple of old rugs in the back of the box. Box should be at least a ft deep 2 ft better. Shoot at marks or a bulls eye on the front of the box. When the broadhead is stuck in between the layers of cardboard, simply push the layers apart and carefully unscrew the broadhead. Pull the arrow out. Put back together. I know most will say too much trouble. But it works! And is chaep!! Been using mine for years. When inner cardboard gets shredded. Just add fresh cardboard.
I like this idea. I broke 2 broadheads in my new rhinehart 18-1 target. One even cut my arrow shaft somehow. I've bought sturdier looking broadheads but we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.