Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after crossbow season ended I decided I want a new crossbow. I love my bow, I love my rifle but I really dislike my crossbow but I love hunting with a crossbow. I live in NY so we have only had a crossbow season for maybe 5 or 6 seasons and it is only 2 weeks long, right before rifle season and usually the best two weeks of hunting for the season. When we got our crossbow season, I purchased a cheap Barnett Gamecrusher, not wanting to spend a lot of money on an implement I could only use two weeks a year and wasn't sure I would like hunting with. Best I can say about it is, it works. Since I live in NY and we have idiotic laws we have a 17" width rule so this rules out many of the new bows. I had pretty much thought I made up my mind and my heart was set on the Scorpyd Nemesis. I really want a xbow with a flat trajectory. Now I am questioning if that is the right way to go. I don't want to purchase a crossbow and not love it. Obviously I love that it is fast and I love that I can get it as a bare bow. But this is a lot of money to spend on a bow that sounds like it eats strings and now I am reading that the string and cables have been made longer to combat this and that has to have slowed the bow down. So now I am wondering if I should save a whole bunch of money and get something like the Bear Constrictor, Killer Instinct Ripper 415 or Wicked Ridge RDX 400. So now I am asking myself, what am I getting in a bare $1600 crossbow that a $500-$800 crossbow won't do. If I drop all that money on a Scorpyd, will I love it forever like I know I will with my rifle. Will I want to update in 5 years regardless of what xbow I purchase? I am not usually one to do a lot of research, I usually know what I want and then make it happen. I am not against changing strings on the Nemesis and I am not a heavy target shooter. Just some practice before the season and then hunt. I think this decision would be a lot easier if I could handle and shoot all these Xbows before I purchase but I don't have a Scorpyd Dealer anywhere near me.

I guess what I am asking is, what exactly am I getting by purchasing a top of the line crossbow like the Scorpyd Nemesis that I am not getting if I purchase something like the KI Ripper or Bear Constrictor? I know there is more to crossbows than speed so what else am I getting for all that extra money?

I am sure the ATA next week will throw something else into the mix making this decision even harder....

·
13,779 Posts
Love?... There are dozens of bows you can love. Contrary to romantic legend, you CAN choose who to love.:D;)

I'd buy the Scorpyd. :)

·
5,271 Posts
One thing you will be getting is an excellent trigger out of the box, compared to so-so to OK triggers after getting someone to work on them. If you go with the Deathstalker instead of the Nemesis, you get a bow that's had all the little bugs worked out in the last few years. Also, much lighter and more balanced than the other bows you mentioned.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So with a lot of you recommending the DS, (please forgive my ignorance) Can you please explain to me what I am getting for my money with that expensive bow? A better trigger? Better Limbs? Better fasteners? There are much less expensive crossbows that will shoot Death Stalker Speeds.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Well I can tell you, stay away from the KI ripper, many of my buddy's who are good xbow hunters and not newbies have had many broken limb issues. Onther buddy bought the Centerpoint Amp 415, I have been helping him with that. so far so good other than needing a trigger job.
One of them bought from Dave at Wyverns a rdx 400 and really likes it. I also have been looking into the Deathstalker 420 for a friend and it seem like the real deal. especially for hunting. Your in NY and I am in CT, so most of your shots will be under 30 yards. Really no need for a super speed demons, remember those speed demons come with baggage. Final conclusion , if you can afford to stay away from Chinese bow then do so. Call Dave , word of warning with him, he doesn't deal in Chinese bows

Reactions: ApexerER

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
So with a lot of you recommending the DS, (please forgive my ignorance) Can you please explain to me what I am getting for my money with that expensive bow? A better trigger? Better Limbs? Better fasteners? There are much less expensive crossbows that will shoot Death Stalker Speeds.
you named them all. Again your not in the west mule deer hunting trying to make a 70 yard shot. Your in NY, lots of brush , and obstacles . If your shooting 370fps with a 440gr arrow your good . plenty fast.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
So you hunt two weeks out of the year with a Xbow?

" Since I live in NY and we have idiotic laws we have a 17" width rule so this rules out many of the new bows. I had pretty much thought I made up my mind and my heart was set on the Scorpyd Nemesis." Is that uncocked? I don't know state laws". That is a notable.

Now if you are emotionally attached to the SN Xbow that plays a very big factor in your decision. Only you can decide that. However, there are many great shooters out there that cost way less than $1,600. I sent you a PM with options but I missed the state ATA requirements.

Are you going to love it 5 years from now ? Only you can decide that. My position if there was a poll how many people have multiple Xbows. Hmmm...... ;) Xbows will change noticeably IMHO in 5 years. There will be a grass is greener effect if you migrate more energy to Xbows.

What do you gain spending $1,600 for a Xbow hunting two weeks out of the year? My question is how fast do you want to shoot to kill a deer? ;)

I do have the BearX Constrictor. Very fast for a MSRP $599 Xbow.. Their CDX model in all black is MSRP $499. I like what I am seeing so far. There is some trigger creep but I'm getting that addressed.

There are tradeoffs and I wish you the best of luck and hope my comments help your future decisions.

Reactions: ApexerER

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While I am in NY, the lease I hunt has bean fields, corn fields and a power line that runs through the middle of it. While a lot of it is woods as well and I do hunt in the woods, I also hunt a lot of open area's. I am well aware that a crossbow isn't a rifle and would never take a long shot on any game animal but the reason for me wanting as flat a trajectory as possible is these open area's. In the woods I know my shot distances ahead of time by the trees I have ranged etc but in the open area's I have a terrible time judging distance and as you all know you don't always have time to grab your range finder. I shot just under the biggest buck I ever saw with my crossbow two seasons ago. My current xbow supposedly shoots 330FPS so probably 300. I am guessing if I was shooting 430-450FPS that bolt would have been a good shot. I guess I have in my mind that speed can make up for my shortcomings.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you hunt two weeks out of the year with a Xbow?

" Since I live in NY and we have idiotic laws we have a 17" width rule so this rules out many of the new bows. I had pretty much thought I made up my mind and my heart was set on the Scorpyd Nemesis." Is that uncocked? I don't know state laws". That is a notable.

Now if you are emotionally attached to the SN Xbow that plays a very big factor in your decision. Only you can decide that. However, there are many great shooters out there that cost way less than $1,600. I sent you a PM with options but I missed the state ATA requirements.

Are you going to love it 5 years from now ? Only you can decide that. My position if there was a poll how many people have multiple Xbows. Hmmm...... ;) Xbows will change noticeably IMHO in 5 years. There will be a grass is greener effect if you migrate more energy to Xbows.

What do you gain spending $1,600 for a Xbow hunting two weeks out of the year? My question is how fast do you want to shoot to kill a deer? ;)

I do have the BearX Constrictor. Very fast for a MSRP $599 Xbow.. Their CDX model in all black is MSRP $499. I like what I am seeing so far. There is some trigger creep but I'm getting that addressed.

There are tradeoffs and I wish you the best of luck and hope my comments help your future decisions.

Thanks for posting. I have read your review about the constrictor and that is what made me look that bow up, read about it and consider it. I actually responded in your thread asking how wide it is uncocked outside cam to outside cam so yes, our rule is width 17", not axle to axle.

Yes we can only hunt two weeks a year with the crossbow but it is generally the best two weeks (rut falls in there) and it is usually when I take vacation days.

In regard to your emotionally attached comment, I think I am emotionally attached to the speed ratings, not necessarily the Scorpyd and I understand that crossbows are changing but with our 17" rule and the way crossbows are going, I am not sure there will be a lot of options in the future...

·
13,779 Posts
While I am in NY, the lease I hunt has bean fields, corn fields and a power line that runs through the middle of it. While a lot of it is woods as well and I do hunt in the woods, I also hunt a lot of open area's. I am well aware that a crossbow isn't a rifle and would never take a long shot on any game animal but the reason for me wanting as flat a trajectory as possible is these open area's. In the woods I know my shot distances ahead of time by the trees I have ranged etc but in the open area's I have a terrible time judging distance and as you all know you don't always have time to grab your range finder. I shot just under the biggest buck I ever saw with my crossbow two seasons ago. My current xbow supposedly shoots 330FPS so probably 300. I am guessing if I was shooting 430-450FPS that bolt would have been a good shot. I guess I have in my mind that speed can make up for my shortcomings.
Yeah … I never understood the idea that East Coast shots are going to be limited to "close" range and tight quarters. No disrespect but that's ridiculous. I don't think I have a single stand in Jersey where I couldn't take a hundred yard shot, even in "dense" woods. Now I get it that you set up in dense conifers or in a phragmite swamp you can have 20-30 yard shots but you have a myriad of long range opportunities in 95% of east coast spots.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
BearX Constrictor Cams end to end is 19 1/8". Cams are huge! :eek::D:cool:

Shooting 406 grain arrow 398-399fps on my Chrono.

·
5,271 Posts
Yep, the two week thing in NY is pretty crappy, and I guess I'd think hard about spending a bunch of money for those two weeks. Here in PA, we (currently) have 6 weeks in early archery, at least 2 more in late season. Different game. If you are hunting fields, I can see where speed is going to be important to you, but rangefinder use is pretty important too. Sure you can buy the speed you want for less $$, and with a two week season, I can see why you might want to do just that. It's the question "What do I get with the Scorpyd for the extra money?" that has been anwered, even by you. Now, is that worth it? Only you can answer that question.:)

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
First, the NY Regs currently state limb tip to limb tip... not A2A or cam width. Secondly, you can use the crossbow during regular season instead of gun. The NY regs also state 200# limit, thus excluding most of the Excals.

Another great hunting bow is the CamX. I’ve seen NIB 330’s for under $300. USA made BTW.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.