Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am a moderator in Michigan-Sportsman.com.

The proposed legislation here in Michigan is an attempt to streamline the process through which a disabled hunter can get a crossbow permit. Currently an 80% physical disability is required and the bill lowers that to 60%. Another part of the bill states that hunters 69 years and older can get a crossbow permit without being disabled.

I am in favor of the legislation, but more to the point I am in favor of legalizing crossbows for Michigan's general archery season as does Ohio, Arkansas, Georgia, and other states. This s a battle here in Michigan and the new legislation is being strenuously fought by two archery groups. Traditional Bow Hunters and Michigan Bow Hunters have always opposed any liberalization of the state's crossbow laws and they show up at the Natural Resource Commission (the agency outside of our Department of Natural Resources that has great say in hunting, fishing, and other natural resource related issues).

Michigan-Sportsman.com members who are in favor of the bill are doing a great job in supporting their case as you will see if you go to the URL/thread that is posted above. I would urge you to look at the thread.

This is only a battle in the war to legalize crossbows for the general archery season in Michigan. It is a battle that needs to be won.

·
101 Posts
I TO AM A MEMBER OF THE MICHGAN SPORTSMANS SITE. this is and has been an upward battle which is turning rapidly into a fullscale war.

·
11,449 Posts
Again...........tell them to look at

Virginia. Three years in and all is well:) I find it amazing how the traditional bowhunters spew all the vitreol at crossbows but they've accepted mechanical bows with enough gadgets to sink a battle ship:rolleyes:

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Joined and posted even though I am from Ohio where it has been legal to crossbow hunt for 30+ years. It makes me ill to see states struggle with the rules for crossbows based on "If you are crippled enough".

My father had a pacemaker installed a few years ago. His weapon of choice was a 12 gauge deer slug. Before the pacemaker was installed he was asked a battery of questions. Cell phones, firearm recoil and a few others. Due to hearing loss his cell phone can only be used on his left ear. His shooting style is right handed however. They recommended he put the pacemaker on the opposite side of his good ear. Well that eliminated his ability to shoot any heavy recoil weapon on his right shoulder in fear of damaging the pacemaker. No worries in Ohio he can still bow hunt. Whoops! His arthritic condition has weakened him to the point he can't hold a bow drawn. Still no worries I am able to cock a crossbow for him. Well my mother died and he remarried and moved to Mississippi. They have these same idiotic age and disability limitations that you do. He qualifies for them in that state but it is such a hassle he gave up on deer hunting. I expect if he met a woman in Michigan it would be the same thing. People should not have to sacrifice their private medical records just so they can sit in the field with a 40 yard weapon that their son or grandson provided for them. Now so you all know where the other states stand I want you to look at these links: http://www.huntersfriend.com/crossbows/crossbow-state-regulations.htm

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/crossbowregulations.htm

Make a note on several of the crossbow illegal states. They allow all sorts of high powered rifles that allow you to take deer from 400+ yards but they seem to have a problem with a 40 yard arrow shot during archery season. Don't read anything into my references. I am not against high powered rifles in any way shape or form. I think the reasoning for not allowing HPR in this state is we are kinda flat and densely populated. So it is a safety issue. I just want all of you pro crossbow hunters to see the nonsense that is going on in other states to help with your perspective in the current legislature for your state. Then ask why they are the way they are. In some states crossbows are for firearm season only...go figure why? If I want to use a crossbow in Colorado I have to wait for gun season or be handicapped in archery season. Thats right if I am able bodied I can't shoot a crossbow in Colorado during archery season. But I can shoot a weapon designed to hit 2 inch targets at 600 yards during gun season. It is this time I am allowed to use a crossbow.

·
101 Posts
well, anyone who wishs to send me any solid DATA NOT OPINIONS from your state will be WELCOME
THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ALL. DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

·
224 Posts
Maryland just passed crossbows for the entire bow season for all central counties. We've been slowing introducing it. I expect to see more counties included next year.

·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to thank everybody thats been helping out here in MI.,( MS forum) hopefully someday we will get somewhere, the ANTIS sure can be hard headed. :D < Xbow Facts

·
665 Posts
well it looks like things are changing

send a letter to these guys even if you dont live here in Michigan, tell them it will give you the oppertunity to hunt in a different state with your weapon of choice

As you may be aware, both the Natural Resources Commission and I have been working on changes to Michigan law regarding crossbows. The Natural Resources Commission has been working on a proposal to change the way that a person may qualify for a permanent disability under current law. I have introduced House Bill 5741 which would allow any senior citizen over age 69 to automatically obtain a permit.

The House Natural Resources Committee held testimony on HB 5741 yesterday. What we learned in committee is that based on the principles of sound scientific management, there is very little reason to restrict crossbows only to people who are permanently disabled. The opposition to expanding the use of crossbows appears to be based mainly on a personal dislike of crossbows by some bow hunters and fears about an over-harvest of deer during the fall archery season. Data from all other states that have expanded crossbow use does not support this fear.

Based on this data and the expensive and cumbersome process of obtaining a crossbow permit, I have decided to pursue a revised version of HB 5741 that would simply eliminate Michigan's crossbow permit and allow any Michigan hunter to use a crossbow to take game during any season in which he/she has a license to take game with a bow. Allowing full inclusion of crossbow use by eliminating the need for a permit also reduces administrative burden on the DNR. Full inclusion has worked very well in all other states that have adopted it in both retaining hunters and recruiting new hunters without negatively impact deer herds.

The House Natural Resources Committee will vote on this revised version on Tuesday, June 17. The full House of Representatives will likely vote on the bill later next week. I would appreciate your support for this revised version of HB 5741 by e-mailing the members of the committee and your own state representative. You can locate their e-mail addresses at the links below. I have also included a sample letter for you to use although you may wish to personalize it to make it more effective. Thank you for your support of HB 5741.

Sincerely,

Joel Sheltrown
State Representative
103rd House District

Committee members: http://house.michigan.gov/committee...or+recreation+and+natural+resources&submit=Go

Find you local representative: http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp

Dear Representative ________________:

I am writing to urge your support of a bill to amend the crossbow permit application process (HB 5741) introduced by Representative Sheltrown. I would also strongly urge you to support a revised version of this bill which would eliminate the permitting process and allow the full and unrestricted use of crossbows during any of Michigans hunting seasons that currently allow the use of a bow as a legal weapon.

The current application process for obtaining a crossbow permit is extremely arbitrary and places an undue hardship on individuals who are simply seeking to increase their recreational opportunities and enjoy the pursuit of hunting during archery seasons.

There is clear and compelling evidence, from a number of other states, that the expansion of the use of crossbows offers significant positive benefits for the State of Michigan, both from a fiscal standpoint and from a resource management standpoint. For some time, Michigan has been steadily losing hunters and the related revenue that hunting creates. In the last decade, bow hunter numbers have dropped by 22% or over 80,000 hunters. The DNR depends on hunters to accomplish their management goals and declining numbers of hunters complicates this task. Fewer hunters also reduces the amount of revenue generated for the State and for the DNR. Allowing the unrestricted use of crossbows during archery seasons will help to reverse the trend of declining hunter numbers, with a number of ancillary benefits and without any negative impact on the resource.

As has been demonstrated in many other states, the expansion of crossbow use in archery season presents Michigan with the opportunity to increase hunter participation, increase opportunity and contribute to the responsible management of one of Michigan's most important public resources. I strongly urge you to support the amended version of House Bill 5471 and allow Michigan hunters the ability to use the bow of their choice during Michigans archery seasons.

Sincerely yours,

Your name
Street address
City, State, Zip

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Good work! If there is anything specific that comes up you need answers to, please let everyone know so you can get to the proper specific info. When it was on the floor last year in Texas, the only opposition was the VP of the Texas Bow Hunters Association. His grounds were "you have to draw the bow at the moment of truth." I actually felt sorry for him when he retreated out of the hearing with his tail between his legs. That was pretty lame as the difference between why xbows should not be allowed during archery season here. It still didn't get past both the house and the Senate, even with all the support "for".
I was so pleased to see so many game wardens there and in line to testify "for".
That was such a relief.
This coming Saturday, Butch and I go to a barbeque/meeting with one of our state legislators to discuss fishing and specifically bow fishing laws and bills.
With some terrible wording, you are not allowed to bow fish in 12 counties,
(discharge a weapon instead of a firearm) and the Catfish will be taken off of the legal list due to lack of information on how the 3 year test of catfish and environment faired. Having a guide service it helps us provide the information necessary to "fix" this mess.

·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is our best chance ever of getting full inclusion in MI. we Need your help, it was pretty COOL yesterday to watch the MBH guys fumbling & stumbling around they didn't know what hit them, when in reality it was a crossbow over the head...:)

·
665 Posts
sad thing is, on Michigan-sportsman.com there was a post regarding the topic of contacting your rep and senator. Well All was fine I go back to post on it and the whole thing is gone. Sounds like someone (a mod) didn't like the support it was getting

·
665 Posts
this is from a different forum

Swamp Ghost said:
This bill is about unmotivated, able-bodied hunters who made the choice not to hunt with a bow that now want to be "accommodated" for their lack of motivation with the use of a crossbow and the folks who would love to enable their lack of motivation. Would you expect these same hunters, that are not motivated enough to pick up a bow, to lobby for a season of their own? Why would they when they can just reap the rewards of a season fought for by MI's bowhunters.

It has nothing to do with herd management, recreational opportunity, increasing hunter numbers or revenue.
This is the most Full of bs comment that I have read. It is about sportsman having a choice, would you rather people not hunt at all unless they hunt under your rules. Give me a break, this is so self centered I don't know what to say

Your song is getting old, us poor bow hunters, Im all about bow hunting I prefer bowhunting but I also prefer a choice of weapons. Sounds to me that you are afraid that some one might take a deer that you cant.

A dead deer is a dead deer, it comes down to practice, patience and preperation. If you don't do those, you don't have to worry about what weapon you use

think I made my point?

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Yea, it looks like a case of " If you hunt with anything other than I do, your lazy". To date, I don't see where the difference is of shooting vertical or horizontal is equivalent to lazy. Also, the arguement of having to draw at the moment of truth thing. If you ever watch my videos, most are multiple shots and I cock my bow with game standing in front of me. I purposely post those hunts for this reason. So, that arguement is out too. Then, there's the scope thing~ Well, Ted Nugent filmed and aired a show using a scope made for bows on a hunt here in Texas at the YO Ranch. It was a poor shot I hate to add, but the point is he did it and it aired on TV. I don't know about ya'll, but I have no problem myself using peep sights, but the scope helps me be more accurate and able to shoot in low light conditions, when shooting a vertical set up, I 'd probably have to pack it up for the evening. So, where's the big differences they're talking about?
Wonder what's next? These are young, close minded people that have been taught the prejudices by someone else, just like society has done with blacks in the past. Same thing, different subject, so it's just best to try and filter through accusation by accusation and show where the untruths lye. It's hard sometimes to keep your cool, but so, so, worth it when it's and arguement you can win and you have the inner pleasure of doing it calmly when they are so emotional. Never let them see you sweat! It makes us look more intelligent. It's getting them to shut up and listen that's the real work. Those guys are also the ones who will never ever try and shoot a crossbow to see what the real differences are because they are just "right". Always offer to let those kind meet up with you, one on one, and have the opportunity to shoot your crossbow, and see if I'm not telling it like it is. I offer a challenge when on forums to just let them try your bow with you showing them how. It gets really quiet then. Don't let them wiggle out by saying they've done it already or will do it without you, because then they lie about it. I do that all the time with bow hunters I come across that mouth off too much. I politely and sincerely corner them by I inviting them down for a hunt and not one has ever been willing to show up to hunt with a crossbow. I offer to let them use their own bow if they can't get the hang of the crossbow before we go on the hunt. I warmly smile. They retreat quietly. If one actually took my challenge, I would gladly host them and take advantage of the time I have with them to visit one on one while bonding over hunting.

Edited in later.
I forgot! The way I see it, is if anyone else, besides the gov't rule tells me I shouldn't hunt anytime, anywhere and when, including another so called hunter especially, I see that as being an "Anti Hunter". So, I always ask then, So how is it to be on the same side as the other anti hunters, (and have the odacity to hold a hunting weapon in your hand)?
Because boys and girls, that is just what that is~ANTI HUNTING PROPAGANDA. A load of Horse pucky.

·
342 Posts
Moonkryket said:
Virginia. Three years in and all is well:) I find it amazing how the traditional bowhunters spew all the vitreol at crossbows but they've accepted mechanical bows with enough gadgets to sink a battle ship:rolleyes:
Yeah...look at the Oneidas and the Monster bows...a little recurve, compound and alot of mechanics involved....

·
101 Posts
I Have Asked That ***clown*** Swamp Ghost Many Times To Provide Facts For His Statements. All He Can Do Is Give Me And Anyone Who Reads His Post A Good Case Of Sea Sickness With All The Spin He Puts On Anything. I Even Had One Post Removed By A Mod As I Told Him I Needed A Lifetime Supply Of *dramimine* For All Of His Spin And That He Should Run For The Spin Doctor Of The Mbh (michigan Bow Hunters) Which Are The Kings And Queens Of Michigan Spin. This Is The Type Of Individual Who Says Something To Himself So Many Times He Really And Truly Believes The Crap He Spews. So It Is Best To Leave Him Alone Like An Infant And Let Him Cry Untill He Realize's No One Is Paying Attention Anymore And He'll Go Away And Bother Someone Else. But, I Will And Must Give Him Credit For His Convictions, No Matter How Misguided The **child**is. Mbh Brain Washing Ruined The Kid.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts