Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was showing my son how to shoot my R9 and all was going great until his attempt to de-cock it. He didn't have a good grip on the handle and all hello broke loose. The cocking handle unwound in a hurry as you can imagine, like at warp speed. After a few seconds of bitting my tongue and talking to myself,,I inspected it to find a few cuts and chips in the forearm and arm brace I guess from the cocking handle flying around. I can live with the cosmetic damage. But low and behold the orange piece that sits next to the safety that you can put your thumb on that can assist in the engaging of the trac trigger firing system to the serving before cocking has sheared off. The bolt is still in the housing of the TTFS so its still doing its job. The "orange part" is the only thing that broke/sheared off. After looking over the limbs and string I shot it several times and it shot great. Does anyone know the name of the bolt with orange piece so I could order a new one? Do you guys know if this is a part that I can call Ravin and order or do you have to be a dealer to do so? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Not sure Ravin will just sell the part to you. It may be a liability,since it involves the trigger box and the may have to make the repair in house! I'd just call Monday and see!

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure Ravin will just sell the part to you. It may be a liability,since it involves the trigger box and the may have to make the repair in house! I'd just call Monday and see!
Thanks for the response. Ill call them tomorrow for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I would think it is called the TTFS Assist Push Pin or something like that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Today I was showing my son how to shoot my R9 and all was going great until his attempt to de-cock it. He didn't have a good grip on the handle and all hello broke loose. The cocking handle unwound in a hurry as you can imagine, like at warp speed. After a few seconds of bitting my tongue and talking to myself,,I inspected it to find a few cuts and chips in the forearm and arm brace I guess from the cocking handle flying around. I can live with the cosmetic damage. But low and behold the orange piece that sits next to the safety that you can put your thumb on that can assist in the engaging of the trac trigger firing system to the serving before cocking has sheared off. The bolt is still in the housing of the TTFS so its still doing its job. The "orange part" is the only thing that broke/sheared off. After looking over the limbs and string I shot it several times and it shot great. Does anyone know the name of the bolt with orange piece so I could order a new one? Do you guys know if this is a part that I can call Ravin and order or do you have to be a dealer to do so? Thanks in advance!
If it tore up the rubber on the cheek piece they will sell you that. I always get a kick out of people saying just let go of the button . As you can see there is no way in hell you can act that fast. Check your horizontal adjustment on the scope. Depending on where the scope is mounted it some times gets hit. He is lucky no broken thumb or fingers. The R9 has the weakest limbs the others are worse if that happens. Is the crank bent? Good luck.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
If it tore up the rubber on the cheek piece they will sell you that. I always get a kick out of people saying just let go of the button . As you can see there is no way in hell you can act that fast. Check your horizontal adjustment on the scope. Depending on where the scope is mounted it some times gets hit. He is lucky no broken thumb or fingers. The R9 has the weakest limbs the others are worse if that happens. Is the crank bent? Good luck.
I always get a kick out of people saying just let go of the button
That happened to me ONCE ! My reflex caused me to try and grab the spinning handle,big mistake! I thought I had a couple broke knuckles,but just bruised. Bent my handle,broke scope cover and tore up the cheek piece.
But,I did learn a lesson....

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
One could s send the bow new carriage with new style safety. Just a thought.
That's a $140 upgrade when I looked into that,plus shipping both ways!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Here’s Video I did on what’s I think are good tips for cocking and uncocking Ravin bows. All new Ravin owners I highly recommend you watch this before you use your bows. And other folks who are using your bow also.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Before you decock with an arrow loaded make certain that you have fully cocked the bow. I did this one day in a hurry and mine wouldn't fire and when I was looking to see why I noticed it was not quite all the way back so on went the handle and a few clicks back and she shot just fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the crank is ok, nothing to my reader glasses wearing eyes anyways.. Scope looked good. I don't think he was prepared for the force it was going to put on him when in reverse...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here’s Video I did on what’s I think are good tips for cocking and uncocking Ravin bows. All new Ravin owners I highly recommend you watch this before you use your bows. And other folks who are using your bow also.
Ill share this with him, thanks!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
That orange bolt does nothing in the TTFS. In fact, it's designed to be screwed in to either side of your carriage and is strictly there to assist with pushing the carriage on the string. I'm not sure of the thread size but probably a 8/32. You could always just visit your local hardware store and get a machine bolt and a alum. spacer or even a piece of small diameter rubber hose and make your own peg if necessary.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
That orange bolt does nothing in the TTFS. In fact, it's designed to be screwed in to either side of your carriage and is strictly there to assist with pushing the carriage on the string. I'm not sure of the thread size but probably a 8/32. You could always just visit your local hardware store and get a machine bolt and a alum. spacer or even a piece of small diameter rubber hose and make your own peg if necessary.
Checked my R9 today and the orange peg on the carriage actually has 10-24 threads and not 8/32.
I can't imagine Ravin not sending you a peg free of charge if you call Tech. support and explain how yours got sheared off. They probably should make that peg a little shorter so there's no possible interference with the crank handle. It's also probably not a bad idea to install it on the opposite side from where you crank. This will prevent it from getting sheared off again if you have another snafu when decocking.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Personally I would just blow it off. Peg not needed. Push on back of carriage to ensure lock on string. My R9 broke off years ago. Fine like it is now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I would just blow it off. Peg not needed. Push on back of carriage to ensure lock on string. My R9 broke off years ago. Fine like it is now.
I think I'm going this route. It still shoots great. I do thank everyone for the responses though ... Great forum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts