Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always shot a compound bow for deer hunting but I just had shoulder surgery Thursday & I'm thinking I may go with a cross bow this season, but I know nothing about them so I need your help!

I would like to keep the price sub $400 but will spend more if that's what is needed. I looked around a little & it looks like there are some pretty cool set ups out there so this may turn into more than just a one season excursion. I hear they are loud & I will have to live with that but if I could get one as quiet as the average compound I may have to up my budget. Because of my shoulder I figure I will need something that has an easy crank system. I know a good trigger is always key to good accuracy too but since I really have little knowledge about them hopefully people here can educate me into a good buy with the power, accuracy, dependability, etc & hopefully silence. Thanks a lot for any help you are willing to offer a newbie to crossbows!

·
Registered
102 Posts
First of all, all the best for your recovery. The budget you want to spend limits you in your choice.
My first was a compound at 500 Dollar, I didn't like it, a lot of issues with. But here you will find a lot of guys with good experiences using bows in that price area. I heard a lot of good recommendations at KI or CP und Barnett bows.
About the silence I can tell you my Excalibur is much more silent than my Compound, Scorpyd.
The cranks I used was an adjustable one und also a "integrated" one (Accu draw from Tenpoint). The second I like more, because it is more comfortable. On Recurve Bows you need basically more power for cranking because of the higher poundage.
Accuracy you will find on many Crossbows, also on my "Bad" first Bow.
To make a good Deal, it maybe an option to start with a used one from this forum.
If you got a chance to visit a local dealer for testing, it maybe also a good option. Feeling like the bow fits to you, weight, length, Trigger, balance.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I have always shot a compound bow for deer hunting but I just had shoulder surgery Thursday & I'm thinking I may go with a cross bow this season, but I know nothing about them so I need your help!

I would like to keep the price sub $400 but will spend more if that's what is needed. I looked around a little & it looks like there are some pretty cool set ups out there so this may turn into more than just a one season excursion. I hear they are loud & I will have to live with that but if I could get one as quiet as the average compound I may have to up my budget. Because of my shoulder I figure I will need something that has an easy crank system. I know a good trigger is always key to good accuracy too but since I really have little knowledge about them hopefully people here can educate me into a good buy with the power, accuracy, dependability, etc & hopefully silence. Thanks a lot for any help you are willing to offer a newbie to crossbows!
There are a number of good sub $400 xbow options out there but there seems to be a compromise on almost each. Typically in the optic, arrows, trigger areas and then the issue of who stands behind it is important as well.

My suggestion is to get the most bang for your buck and tune it up as needed. The classsifieds are a good place to look but finding a sub really nice $400 xbow will not be easy.

For $300 this xbow offers many nice features, nice performance, solid build quality and is backed by a good company. It's also pretty narrow, reasonably quiet and has the tactical adjustabiliy.

Link To Northwoods:
Amped 415 From CenterPoint

I'd add a better optic like a Wyvern Creations RangeMastsr Pro ($140) Take Off scope and better arrows. You can add a crank system if needed for about $75 and I know a guy :rolleyes: that can improve the trigger if you feel it's needed.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You won't find a crossbow that is silent. They're all loud, some way more than others. You can quiet them down some but not totally. The more stuff you add on to silence, the more it will cost you in speed.
I got a bass pro flier in the mail last week, there was a crossbow on sale for 200 dollars. Sorry I don't remember what brand. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Good luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You won't find a crossbow that is silent. They're all loud, some way more than others. You can quiet them down some but not totally. The more stuff you add on to silence, the more it will cost you in speed.
I got a bass pro flier in the mail last week, there was a crossbow on sale for 200 dollars. Sorry I don't remember what brand. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Good luck and good hunting.
The one on sale at Bass pro is by Killer Instinct called a Lethal 405. I would suggest going with a bow that has been around a year or 2 in an effort to avoid problems that can come with models just released. As a very bow guy.... be prepared to be impressed by the speed and accuracy you are sure to find on almost any bow you try. Bass pro sale also includes the Centerpoint Sniper 370 for $229.00 been around quite a while and most owners really like them... including this one, LOL. especially after a pretty easy trigger mod. With a questionable shoulder you might want to look into a tripod / bipod or other shooting aid as crossbows are kinda heavy, off hand shooting could be very challenging. Welcome and good luck with the shoulder recovery !!! Lots of us on here are former vert bow guys with bad shoulders.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
I want a 415 but just haven't bought one yet. I do own the CP Sniper 370 and it's a great bow for what I have invested. You can buy the Sniper for @ $200.....I changed scope for another that costs @ $125, had a trigger job done @ $80, better arrows that costs @ $35 for six, added a $20 sling, made my own rag bag target for free. My bow shoots lights out to 45 yards (I don't shoot any farther). A pack of broadheads and youre ready to hunt for less than $500.

A lot of good talk about the Barnett 370 with the TT-trigger. KI also has some very comparable bows for less than $500 tricked out. Good luck and welcome to the boards. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
In that price range, I'd personally be looking at Killer Instinct bows. Likely the Boss 405 package. I'm a bit leery of trying to get too much speed from a bow in that price range, so 400 FPS would be my max to hopefully try and avoid issues. That being said, Killer Instinct has a pretty good customer service reputation and warranty for the original purchaser.

·
Registered
16 Posts
CamX makes a good crossbow and you can get a new 330 on eBay for 349.00 or 399.00. I bought one last year and have enjoyed it. Not the fastest bow but with a lifetime warranty I don't worry about it breaking.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will have to do some checking around & maybe make a wish list. Do you guys suggest package deals to get more value or are package deals low on quality?

I'm getting a little excited & already thinking about increasing the budget :)

·
2,781 Posts
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I had a TSR back in ‘15. It was my left shoulder, right handed, so I can tell you one thing that I noticed is many crossbows were too front heavy for me at that time. I would agree that cocking may be an issue for a while. If you can raise your budget a little, one of the new Wicked Ridge bows with an Acu draw are getting good reviews. Some places have their 2019 models for under $400 as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I will have to do some checking around & maybe make a wish list. Do you guys suggest package deals to get more value or are package deals low on quality?

I'm getting a little excited & already thinking about increasing the budget :)
The bow itself is usually the same, although sometimes they might try to give you an older production run of the same bow, and some of the included accessories might be lesser known companies and or cheaper versions of the manufactures', but that's why you scrutinize everything. I bought 2 packages. One with my TP Viper S400 and the other was a Killer Instinct Boss 405 package. Bought them from two separate online retailers, but have zero complaints about either so far.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Your wanting a xbow with a crank, make sure it has a positive lock on the crank. If your hand slips it does not backspin.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I guess I missed the part where he wanted a crank...SMH. I bought the Dead Silent crank for my Dad's KI Boss for $125 new. While not integrated in to the stock like my Viper, or able to de-cock the XB, it's still a slick little set up that plugs in to the butt pad of the Boss. It is very quiet and according to my Dad, it doesn't backwind with force when you let go of the crank.

·
4,674 Posts
The simple little Dead Silent Crank (DSC) by KI is pretty impressive. Silent and has a brake, so it can be released at anytime with no rewind.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The simple little Dead Silent Crank (DSC) by KI is pretty impressive. Silent and has a brake, so it can be released at anytime with no rewind.
Yes Sir....Except I had no idea it had a brake when I bought it for him. He figured that out on his own. LOL!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Listen to TX_RDXguy... Get the trigger job too.. I suggest the CP because if the surgery works you'll probably be going back to the vertical... If not, you got your foot in the door.

My shoulder is messed up but I am doing the PT thing and I knew I was NOT going to be able to use the vertical this year. I had the trigger job done on my CP 370... And the difference is out of this world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My head has been spinning these past few days but today I looked on Barnett's website & it appears they have come out with a great new trigger & are putting it on almost every crossbow. Even their $330 model. So I might have to look into that some more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts