Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 6am this morning I had the Toxin on the bags and ready to test it's worth for the first time. I have around 120 shots on it now and have had 4 different scopes on and off to find the one I think works best for a hunting scope. I started with the Vortex Spitfire 3, then a Vortex 1-4x24 Viper PST, mounted but never shot the Vortex Viper XBR2.5-10x44, an XB-30,,,, but just 2 days ago I took the Tenpoint Rangemaster Pro off the 350WC Matrix and swapped the it for the XB-30 I was using. I like it, the XB-30 has a nicer retical, but for hunting out to 75 yards this is a perfect match for the Toxin 150XT, shorter lighter and just and plenty bright enough with an illuminated reticle that is dim enough for the times I use it, and a compact package to match the Toxin, so here it is in hunting dress.

I sighted it in yesterday at 25 yards according to the BRC2 tables for the XB1 SR scope, as these scopes all have a dedicated crossbow reticle, all are nearly identical. I was shooting the 12 B.E. Executioners that I got with the bow from Dave. The only thing I changed was the Moon Nocks for J nocks, and arrows were just picked up at random, no sorting or checking before this sight in session. I had it sighted in @ 2.5" high which is supposed to be dead on @ 35 yards,, with approx a 3.2x setting, around 360 fps it showed the chevrons for the yardages to be on @ 35,44,55,66, and 77 yards,,,which is all the Tenpoint RM Pro has for aiming points. First thing I confirmed the 35 yard zero and moved the target to 55 yards, shot one arrow, and was just low of the bull and a tad left, so gave it one click right and walked the reticle to the arrow and was at 350 fps setting. Shot 3 more arrows and all were in the center of the bull. So I moved the target to 77 yards,, I was now dead on at 35 and 55, so I was sure the second aiming point (now 45) and the 4th aiming point (now 65) were close as they could get,

I walked back to the bench and shot 3 arrows of the 5 for group for the first time all at the center bull, but at approx 3X I couldn't tell for sure where they were, I thought low but walked out to verify where I was hitting before I shot any more,,,,,,,,GOOD THING!!

I had to walk back to get the camera and take a picture of that group, but while I did I had to double check and make sure this early in the morning if I was shooting the Toxin or grabbed my 380 Matrix by mistake??? Nope folks that is the Toxin 150 in full hunting garb @ 75 yards, well past hunting range, but dang, talk about stackin em!! I am delighted and am finally starting to feel good about the time spent putting this bow together and getting it the way I wanted it. that 3 arrow group measures under 1/2" and only 1 1/2" low of exact aiming point, and no I am not doing it again, and no I did not try and see what would happen if I shot 2 more, which was what I was intending to do when I started, but after this I will not be shooting at the same place twice under 100 yards, and have no intentions of doing that as I don't use these bows fer anything but hunting.

Like I said before about this high scope mount, it really is great for a hunting setup, giving better Maximum dead on aiming for the one aiming point shooter. It does it as good as a bow shooting 70 fps faster out to 45 yards. With the 35 yard zero I have checked the chart and found it is extremely close, this setup is no more than 2.4" all the way to 35 yards, and at 40 yards is only 1.5" low. and every ten yard aiming point is dead on within 1 yard out to 75 yard. I may change this to an even more exact dead on hild to 35 yard buy zeroing at 30 yards and getting the other aiming points dead on, but for now I am planning on using it as I have it setup for the 35 yard zero, and aim dead on out to 40 yards!

I will mention again the draw back to this higher scope mounting is canting the bow will cause more accuracy problems on this bow than on bows with lower scope mounting closer to the barrel. If you can't this bow it will give twice the error my Excalibur's do, but I have the level mounted where all that is needed to verify a good level hold is no more than a quick opening of the left eye and it's right there in sight without taking your right eye outa to scope or off your target!! This was a good morning for the Toxin, it assured it of having a permanent spot in the man cave right beside the 350WC and the 380 Mad Max!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Good job wildcatter, u do a good job of explaining things in layman's terms without using a bunch of technical jargon that would leave me scratching my head.
Those considering the toxin but were weary because of the scope being so far above the rail ol catter worked it out for you lb

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had no trouble so far with scope zeroing or holding zero. But know of a couple who tried to zero at 20 and could not set a fast enough speed to get the 30 yard aiming point low enough for zero. So anybody takes the dive and goes with the toxin be aware,, this is a 30 yard zero bow using a multi reticle scope, but even at 30 yards zero it is never more than 1.6" high getting there. Why I chose 35 yards for initial zero 2.3" high getting there, and only 1.6" low at 40 yards what the heck I won't be using but one aiming point very often!!

The more I shoot this bow, the more I'm liking it,,, maybe I'm just getting it broke in? I had to reserve the factory serving at about 40 shot's,,,,, today I have over 90 on my reserve with .036" AM and it is barely showing any use. This was the reserve at 25 shots a couple weeks ago.
1st =reserve=25shots.jpg

This was today after my last shooting session over 90 shots.
1st re-serve @ 90 shots.jpg

My only complaint is the trigger, and I have been told if it is not suiting me, they can make sure it does. This was a gamble as you don't hear about any of the Darton's, but it has proven to be an excellent buy,,, and I am glad I did the Custom finish and accessories!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I decided on using the Tenpoint Quiver bracket for those times I need it attached to the Toxin. I got one from Wyvern to try and at first It was inside the lombs but I didn't like how far away from the forearm and rail it set, it was inside the 17" limb spread but I wanted it tighter. It was as up tight under the limbs as it could be, but I wanted to try something else to try and get it closer to the center of the bow.

Then when I was taking it off I got the idea to use the center set of holes that is meant for 45* mounting, and decided to try them. This was exactly what I wanted, as tight to the rail and tucked up under as tight to the limbs as I can get and comfortable shoot it with the quiver attached.
IMG_9903-sm.jpg

With setup here it carries super nice also, it keeps everything concealed behind my back so there is nothing to hang up on anything, and with the stalker shoulder piece it stay put and comfortable.
IMG_9902-sm.jpg
This thing blows me away how narrow it is, I thought the Venom was narrow when I had it, the Toxin starts narrower, and then fully cocked with it longer power stroke really exaggerates narrow, the more I shoot and handle it, the more I'm liking it.
IMG_9907-sm.jpg

IMG_9910-sm.jpg

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after a season hunting and 3 months on the hook while I spent time filling the freezer with Walleye for the following year,, I got the 150XT "Deceiver" out and gave her a couple offhand practice shots,, yep, still ready to hunt,, and hitting where I aim. With three deer to here first years hunting,, before I switched to my beloved recurves! After putting the Americas First Platinum set on it,, it has been flawless!

Reactions: beervo2

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, it's a great bow, but the strings and cables from the factory suck. Put a good set of Americas Best Platinum series,,, your golden, and makes the bow, and solves all the problems with it.

The other thing is at this speed, with the scope so high, it requires a 30 yard zero to get the rest of the aiming points low enough to be on at 10 yard intervals. @0 yard zero, and any scope wont zero at 30, this bow is son fast it don't need zeroed at 20 and 30 makes it even better for hunting, out to 35 just center the crosshair and shoot!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent coverage! That is a high scope mounting!
Yes Steve one of my mistakes with this bow, I should have put an Excalibur trigger tech single stage in it,, I would have had the lowest available mounting and the sweetest trigger in the industry bar none!

I would have lost some distance on my point blank range though. For dead hold out to 40 yards with one aiming point,, that is what the higher mount does, the other thing it does is give me the worst trigger I have ever experienced on a crossbow,,, but "it will Kill"!:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
WOW!!! Thank you for such a great review. It is very difficult to find good information on Darton Crossbows. They seem tto be the quiet people in this industry. I first herd of them from a vendor that does not cary Darton, when he was explaining to me the concept of semirailess rails on a crossbows. One company uses them and has a very bad record with accidents. But more likely a marketing ploy for rifle men and a serving, string, and knoc issue then a semirailess design issue. Having to put that much pressure on the center serving to get the capture knock of the bolt to seat correctly must be a serious design error waiting for something bad to happen. It should just slide in, like when using the three finger loading methood on a verticle bow. Tthe retailer was talking to me about the Semirailess rails on the Deathstalker by Scorpyd. He mentioned that Darton has been using semirailessrails on crossbows for a long time with very good results and that it is very reliable. Not knowing anything about Darton I looked up there sight on the internet and found the toxin crossbows. Did not see anything that seemed real good, but also nothing that said to run. Did knowtice that they are a reptutable archery company in the USA much like Mission, and until this year Parker. That with the archery company and the retailer mentioning them something had to be there that just was not comingh out. The price range is that of a crossbow that should be good at everything, but not super great at anything.

Your review shows that the not great at anything is not accurate. They are great at accuracy and accuracy at a distance. On top of that this accuracy and distance accuracy can be achieved by a normal crossbow shooter, not a professional crossbow marksmen. This can very well be the crossbow that I am looking for.

I live in Colorado so the scope is illegal and history. Will be looking to use a HHA Optimizer Speed Dial, and a Vortex Razor AMG UH-1 Holographic 1X Red Dot sight. it has a 15" Powerstroke so no need to worry about 14""Draw Length" legal requirement. I am looking to do a lot of distance taget shooting mostly 100m to 200m and maybe being able to walk it back to being able to hit a 300m Ivan. Will also look to do some hunting in rifle season harvesting 20m to 50m. May or may not look for an exemption to use the crossbow for hunting in archery season.

Thank you for this great review and for helping me find what may very well be the correct crossbow for me. At this point will wait until after ATA to make a final choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts