Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.I got my blind up today,cleared shooting paths since season opens on the 26th here. I decided to get my XBR sighted in afterward and it's dead on 20-50,which is all I need where i'm hunting in the woods, for now. The TruGlo's are hitting right where my field tips were!

Happy camper until I decided to take one more shot and call it a day........
broke crank rope 1.jpg
broke crank rope 2.jpg

Sending it back to Dorge AGAIN and hope I get it back before season! No back-up........

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
That is why we all need a back up bow.
I know, I’m down to just one crossbow now and I’m constantly checking the classifieds on here and CT for a back up.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is why we all need a back up bow. Did it mess something up or is it just the rope. Seems like you could replace the rope yourself.
It's just the rope. My crank is quick detach,so no big deal sending it back really. I have plenty of time,besides I'd rather not take it apart because of the springs and chance still having to send it in.....
No damage,happened right after I starting cranking back. Could have been worse,dry fire or broke opening morning in the blind!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well good thing you decided cock it one more time before putting it away. Hopefully he can get you fixed up before the season opens. You might want to go out and get a back up just in case.
Tell me about it! I told my wife I'm going to take one more shot,just to make sure it's good to go! That would have been my FIRST crank opening morning......

A little bummed,but glad it happened when it did,if it HAD to happen!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Jeff sorry to see this !!
Better now then like was said opening morning !!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,I just heard back from Dorge. At first he thought maybe my scope knobs had cut it,like others he said that came back and I would have to pay for the repair. Then I sent him pics and showed him how the break is nowhere near my scope. After looking at the same pics I posted here,he said it's not a break,the end knot came loose and he will repair for free!

Happy days and will have it back in time for season opener!!! Just glad I wasn't at full draw when it let loose......

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Form the picture, I can say that it is not a string failure, but a human error. In this case, it will be me. Base on how the string had frayed, and the distance it shows. I will have to assume that when I tie the knot end, I did not burn the end. The string is the same material and manufacturing process as Speiderwire, it is rated for 1200LbF or 600 KgF. Like all Material of this class, the knot is can be easily slipped, and if one did not burn the end. i.e string loop. the knot bulled is the result. Another note, you do can cut it with a sharp object like some scope knob. I use a brad line scissors to cut the string to length. It is effortless when you use the right tool to cut this line.

Which also explains why it comes out when the sled is all the way out. When the string is all out, the force is directly on the knot, not on the spool! Base on the design, it cannot hapen at full draw, very much the same effect of a fishing reel spool!

Reactions: robertyb and Tnmtns

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Form the picture, I can say that it is not a string failure, but a human error. In this case, it will be me. Base on how the string had frayed, and the distance it shows. I will have to assume that when I tie the knot end, I did not burn the end. The string is the same material and manufacturing process as Speiderwire, it is rated for 1200LbF or 600 KgF. Like all Material of this class, the knot is can be easily slipped, and if one did not burn the end. i.e string loop. the knot bulled is the result. Another note, you do can cut it with a sharp object like some scope knob. I use a brad line scissors to cut the string to length. It is effortless when you use the right tool to cut this line.

Which also explains why it comes out when the sled is all the way out. When the string is all out, the force is directly on the knot, not on the spool! Base on the design, it cannot hapen at full draw, very much the same effect of a fishing reel spool!
Can an extra couple winds on the spool take the pressure off the knot? Is there room on the spool to make the string a little longer?

Thanks for the fast reply today and will be shipping it back to you in the am......

·
4,770 Posts
Can an extra couple winds on the spool take the pressure off the knot? Is there room on the spool to make the string a little longer?

That’s what the simple KI DSC has - a few more rounds of string.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Can an extra couple of winds on the spool take the pressure off the knot? Is there room on the spool to make the string a little longer?

Thanks for the fast reply today and will be shipping it back to you in the am......
Yes and no. If I use an even longer string, and if the string winds up on one side it will bind the spool and do surface rub. This is not a baitcasting reel, there is no level wind to make sure the line lay evening and not do that. Just an FYI, up to 3 extra winds are already present on the spool as it is to be able to pull out 32" from the spool. The string is 67" long before tying the knot! This is also the reason I design the AeroCrank to use webbing to make sure that is not an issue.
Just an FYI, Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) made string are not like polyester or monofilament string, extra winds does nothing unless you have a spool with a rubber gasket. For those of you who fish, notice sometimes when even a full spool of brad line can turn on the spool! We are talking over a few hundred winds. This material is ultra-slick on the surface with no knot strength which is why it is recommended to use a Polymar knot or improved hinge knot or the Trilene knot; use CA glue on the knot, or burn the end, OR all of the above to make sure it does not give or slip

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes and no. If I use an even longer string, and if the string winds up on one side it will bind the spool and do surface rub. This is not a baitcasting reel, there is no level wind to make sure the line lay evening and not do that. Just an FYI, up to 3 extra winds are already present on the spool as it is to be able to pull out 32" from the spool. The string is 67" long before tying the knot! This is also the reason I design the AeroCrank to use webbing to make sure that is not an issue.
Just an FYI, Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) made string are not like polyester or monofilament string, extra winds does nothing unless you have a spool with a rubber gasket. For those of you who fish, notice sometimes when even a full spool of brad line can turn on the spool! We are talking over a few hundred winds. This material is ultra-slick on the surface with no knot strength which is why it is recommended to use a Polymar knot or improved hinge knot or the Trilene knot; use CA glue on the knot, or burn the end, OR all of the above to make sure it does not give or slip
I used to put black electrical tape on my bait casting spools,especially when Fire Line and Spider wire came out,so the line wouldn't spin! So I get what you're saying here!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Well,I just heard back from Dorge. At first he thought maybe my scope knobs had cut it,like others he said that came back and I would have to pay for the repair. Then I sent him pics and showed him how the break is nowhere near my scope. After looking at the same pics I posted here,he said it's not a break,the end knot came loose and he will repair for free!

Happy days and will have it back in time for season opener!!! Just glad I wasn't at full draw when it let loose......
That happened to me once, with the scope ring knobs. That's why I searched on eBay until I found scope rings that don't have anything protruding out from the side of them. I had these rings with these 3/8" bolts sticking out and I caught my rope cocking cord around them without realizing it and cocked my bow, well tried to cock it...lol. I'm not saying that's what happened to you, I'm just saying it is possible. I did it....lol... I have better scope rings now though. So, I don't have to worry.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That happened to me once, with the scope ring knobs. That's why I searched on eBay until I found scope rings that don't have anything protruding out from the side of them. I had these rings with these 3/8" bolts sticking out and I caught my rope cocking cord around them without realizing it and cocked my bow, well tried to cock it...lol. I'm not saying that's what happened to you, I'm just saying it is possible. I did it....lol... I have better scope rings now though. So, I don't have to worry.
We are talking about the scope turret knobs mainly. But I could see that with certain rings also. Neither was the case with mine though!

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
377 Posts
I used to put black electrical tape on my bait casting spools,especially when Fire Line and Spider wire came out,so the line wouldn't spin! So I get what you're saying here!
We use Dacron backing material on the spool and just overlay that with the braided line. (y)(y)

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We use Dacron backing material on the spool and just overlay that with the braided line. (y)(y)
My bass fishing partner at the time the braided lines came out was an electrician,so hence the black tape,LOL. Not much can't be fixed with either black or duct tape down here in the south......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like my luck. Could have been worse. I think I will keep my Wildcat C5 as a backup. Recently got a TenPoint Lazer(used), which I may shoot tomorrow. It has the accu-draw 50, but if it’s not too hard to cock by pulling, that’s how I will cock it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My bass fishing partner at the time the braided lines came out was an electrician,so hence the black tape,LOL. Not much can't be fixed with either black or duct tape down here in the south......
I use electric tape on my baitcasters because I suck at casting them. I throw them out has far has I can then pull out an extra 15 feet or so, put some electric tape on that spot to help me not get backlash.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts