Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of reading for months now appreciating the vast knowledge of the members and I take stock in their constructive responses. My question is simply “do I pull the trigger on a new Nemesis?” My quest started with Nolan over at Borkholder last week and he seemed fair and honest in answering my many questions. He threw out a few avenues to explore with Ten point, Ravin and Scorpyd. I narrowed it to Ravin and Scorpyd and then weighing my options and wants found myself leaning towards the Nemesis.
Hence my concerns, and you know where I’m going. I spent the weekend trying to find the latest, “up to date“ information on the Nemesis and just came off reading a 16 page forum that ended up comparing Dodge Ram trucks...which I myself own a ‘17 Rebel.
I have not called Scorpyd (Rex) direct but wanted to start with the “Nations” members first. I am not filling my wall with backup bows so is buying a Nemesis now going to be a purchase I’m going to regret down the road. Thank you all, Aqua

·
Registered
65 Posts
I asked the same question a few weeks ago. Most say it’s a buy. Some say I’d wait. I love my Deathstalker 380. No issues. I’m waiting until next year will get either Nemesis or Deathstalker 420. Don’t think you can go wrong because service with Scorypd is top notch. Good luck. ( i would never buy Ravin)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
There have ben sveral concerns from ppl about the string serving on the Nemisis. You SHOULD call Rex. I have not read anything about Scorpyd rectifying the excessive down pressure on the string/rail issue,only putting Jerrys serving on as a fix. Im sure you will be happy with a 480 purchase...keep it waxed.....

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Unless you like changing strings every 50 shots or so,you will need the burky fix! Other than that,awesome bow!!! The 420 is proven though......without the issues!

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
I own an original Nemesis and have been shooting it for a little over one year now. It has its tenacity to destroy center servings, yes, an that's because of the shear power it harnesses at the severe angle the string is drawn to on such a slim axis. The latch claws like to rip into the center serving. It will most likely need polished if Scorpyd hasn't already done this. I have one of the original Nemesis' and it was a bucking horse the whole way until i tamed it with alot of polishing of latch claws and various serving meathods. It's not the rail that is causing the serving to wear, it's those darnd latch claws. I've gotten mine to shoot flawlessly and my serving is lasting for hundreds of shots. I've lost count, I widened my ATA by 3/16" but the newer models are released even wider than mine. I havnt heard of any more complaints about the serving wearing out prematurely. I think that you would be safe in buying a Nemesis and you would be happy. I'm sure all the issues have been corrected by now. I wouldn't shut the door on it. I love my Nemesis and it's a blast to shoot ! Take the good with the bad and call Rex and see what he says and work a deal out with him. I would ask him for 30 days to own his Nemesis and if it's all true what he tells you then tell him you'll keep it but, if it's a flop then you want to exchange it for an Aculeus or DS 420.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unless you like changing strings every 50 shots or so,you will need the burky fix! Other than that,awesome bow!!! The 420 is proven though......without the issues!
I’m hearing there is new serving that last a lot longer now.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I’m hearing there is new serving that last a lot longer now.
Depends who you ask.......I've heard both sides personally!
I'm sorry,but there is no way I could with a good conscious recommend a 480 to anyone! ANY other Scorpyd,YES,in a heartbeat!!!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I won't give you a yes or, no but, I'll share my thoughts on getting one. I'll get one when it's a 1 piece riser mated up to the barrel the right way. I just have zero monkey dickin around tolerance anymore. It's gotta work and, stay working like all my old models do-point and, shoot with a smile on my face. I'm ok with adjusting my timing twice a year and, rubbing some black lightning on every dozen shots or so. Every 2 years I'll replace my center serving. That's all the maintenance I want.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
Personally I would buy the Aculeus 460 before the Nemesis as Scorpyd has not fixed the Nemesis and there have been no problems with the Aculeus.
Me, I shoot the DS 420 and love mine.
Full disclosure: I also shoot a Ravin and it is the bow I hunt with now.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I've been a fan and follower of Scorpyd since I rejoined the crossbow world and my RDX affinity makes it obvious. Making a choice today, I' d say "No". I put a lot of value in width, length and functionality and now that TenPoint's integrated ACUslide safe cocking and de-cocking is here with their micro-rail design, I can't see any new Scorpyd being the right choice for me. A Vapor is the next xbow for me.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
845 Posts
I don’t care for a two piece Riser design but my Nemesis has held together extremely well after they reworked it using red LocTite in the new Riser Bolts. My Nemesis is without fail the most accurate long range crossbow I’ve ever owned( includes a Scorpyd Orion & VTec, 4 high end TenPoints and a PSE Tac 15). Gonna be heading west hunting in a few weeks and have total confidence in this rig as the Accuracy & KE are Phenomenal!’

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check the Classifieds on here and Archerytalk ........folks have sold alot more 480's then 420's ....you see very few 420's for sale.... Nemesis.........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the technology is still the same with only design differences between models, The Nemesis having a two piece riser and is presently reporting serving issues or the still available Asculeus with a one piece riser having a good track record of dependable service. Does a couple inches in width really matter when the speeds are relatively identical? What am I missing here.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I would pass on a Nemesis, solely due to the negative reports in the forums here.
You could send it to Burky for upgrades, however, as he does some awesome work on them.
Then you have to factor in the shipping and labor costs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No disrespect here and I’m am sure that Burky is a great repairman, he has quite a following here on CBN and his work is second to none. I cannot fathom buying a new crossbow rolling the dice on quality issues with that thought as my option. I could spend a lot more money and go all out for a Vapor 470 or save some cash for upgrades by buying a brand new, older, proven comparable Scorpyd model. Heck I have been looking deep into Tenpoint, Mission and Scorpyd. I hunt open fields from a ladder stand, no more tree climbers for me. Where I hunt there is rarely a 20-30 yard shot. A crossbow is a new adventure for me, a way to extend my hunting season. All of my victories have been on average 60-80 yards with my NULA muzzleloader. I do want the speed and down range wallop by using a 475 grain bolt so FPS is a must for me. I do need a self cocking model and only want a dependable, grab an go unit that is going to be used for preseason warmup and then out to Gods country.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
If you want a Scorpyd with low maintenance get a DeathStalker or an Aculeus. If you enjoy high maintenance then the Nemesis would be a good choice. It's a great shooting bow if you can get around the serving wear issue....

·
Registered
823 Posts
I've read this on CBN before. If you want a Lamborghini, buy one of the new, super fast, narrow crossbows. They both require a great deal more maintenance. Way too many proven designs that provide hours of trouble free shooting. My choice would be, for hunting the Deathstalker, for higher speed and target shooting the Aculeus.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I believe I read a while back that the newer Aculeus comes with the newer cams and is also rated 480 fps.....Just as fast as the Nemesis,just a tad wider is all!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are there any string issues between the Generation 6 and Generation 7 cams? Rex has told me that the latest units all have the newer cam style.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts