Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try and keep this short .
After a week of rain and wind , i woke up fri morn to snow on the ground and cold , like 29 degrees out .
As the day went on at work i noticed the wind letting up and the temps staying around 38 .
i thought i better get in a tree stand .

Well at 4:45 i was seated in one of my better spots , 5:45 a doe and fawn come in and they were very hungry and early to the party ,so i watched them for about 1 hr feeding ,all of a sudden the fawn caught movement in the woods .
sure enough a decent 8 point average buck for the U.P was coming in .
after a few minutes decided to take this deer .i watched him for about 5 min then he offered me a shot that to me was like here it is ,lol.
He was quartering away slightly and he had his head bent back around and eating at the opposite side of entry .
His position actually had his chest rolled out right at me , i ranged him just prior and he was at 37 yds .
i lined up and let the string go , watched the arrow hit the deer through the scope and saw what i thought was a little high and back .

He took off out of there like a shot from a gun , i watched his death run for about 50 yds , so i got out of my brush blind after about 1 hr , meanwhile watching more deer come in and feed .
I finally decided to sneak out and start tracking this deer at where i thought he was going , i did not go look for my arrow i just left my spot as i did not want to go stink it up just yet .

well i found blood right away where he left the lain and entered the woods , at this point a semi blind guy cold follow him through the tag alders and swmp , i though he won't be to far !!
Famous last words , this deer bled like a stuck pig for 150 yds as he stopped and bled i noticed there was air bubbles in the blood , to me immediately i thought lung blood , but the weird thing is he was only bleeding on the entrance side .
i went another 50 yds and at this point the blood trail is starting to thin out and he is walking now .
O crap i must have only got one lung , how could that be i saw the hit should have been a double lung , but the blood trail only being on one side was stuck in my mind as i went along , i tracked him another 100 yds and he wound up at a dirt road crossing , at this point my battery was dead from hyper mode on my thrunite head klamp , so i walked back to camp to get more juice ,lol.

I drove my truck over to where he crossed the road and started looking on the other side for blood , now this trail crossing the road is like a cattle crossing , so to me he had to go this way , as they cross and go through the ditch the trail goes into a tall grass field with tag alter thickets .
well i searched every trail that branched from the main crossing trail and no blood no where , at this time i was getting tired from wandering around in the dark and decided to call it a night , this was at 11:15 .

I got back over to look at about 8:00 am and drove to the crossing and parked , went back to my last blood where he come out of the ditch and to my surprise he actually turned and walked down the road towards the highway 2 tenths of a mile from where he came out , so i followed him and all of a sudden no more tracks , i decided he in no way would cross back into the ditch so i angled across the road and sure enough i found his tracks ,now this is crazy he actually angled across the road into a drive way to a propane filling plant that is mowed grass , i confirmed it with one drop of blood froze in the frost .that was the only blood i could fine , after searching the obvious route's he would take , i found no blood .

Ok where did you go ,lol.on a hunch i decided to go look in some sand that was in a straight line from his entry to the plant yard 60 yds from last blood and i picked his track up again tracked him by some junk piles and into a pople thicket , bingo blood on the small tree that had wiped off of his side and some drips in the yellow leaves .
this was at 9:30 , i know 1.5 hrs for 80 yds , i never give up !!!
just then i heard something run off but did not see what it was and the sound was not like a deer running off , so i wandered around trying to figure out where he would have went i all of a sudden found real good blood again to the point i could track just walking along . i followed it to where he laid down , Guess what the sound i herd was him bolting as i kicked him up . took me another 45 min to figure which direction he went as there was no blood , only his tracks as he dug into the leaves and forest floor , finally found after he ran 40 yds started to bleed again but only when he would land from a bound . i found my self searching for his next landing and just happened to look ahead down a open straight stretch in the direction he was going and there he was .

I was like hallelujah . this was at 11:15 about 2 hrs after i kicked him up . 600 yds from where i shot him

I guess what i am getting at here is , i saw the sign in the blood , how he bled , where he was going as far as switching directions ,and the thought of i was the one who made him bleed i am the one that needs to find him . Most of the hunters i know , would have said , you did not hit him good enough .
Never give up folks !!!!!

What i found is yes i did hit him a little back and high got one lung , but the arrow deflected high up and through the opposite side very front back strap . not to sure if i like a swing blade broadhead right now , but the TG put a big enough slice in him to give me the blood trail i had . so i am not switching heads , only try for better shot placement !!!

Not the biggest buck but this is average for here in the U.P . he will eat very well !!!!!!
O and i shot this deer with my silver custom ,a first for that bow in my hands !!

·
Happy Member
5,542 Posts
Nice buck Tim! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Reactions: burky247365

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am going to try and keep this short .
After a week of rain and wind , i woke up fri morn to snow on the ground and cold , like 29 degrees out .
As the day went on at work i noticed the wind letting up and the temps staying around 38 .
i thought i better get in a tree stand .

Well at 4:45 i was seated in one of my better spots , 5:45 a doe and fawn come in and they were very hungry and early to the party ,so i watched them for about 1 hr feeding ,all of a sudden the fawn caught movement in the woods .
sure enough a decent 8 point average buck for the U.P was coming in .
after a few minutes decided to take this deer .i watched him for about 5 min then he offered me a shot that to me was like here it is ,lol.
He was quartering away slightly and he had his head bent back around and eating at the opposite side of entry .
His position actually had his chest rolled out right at me , i ranged him just prior and he was at 37 yds .
i lined up and let the string go , watched the arrow hit the deer through the scope and saw what i thought was a little high and back .

He took off out of there like a shot from a gun , i watched his death run for about 50 yds , so i got out of my brush blind after about 1 hr , meanwhile watching more deer come in and feed .
I finally decided to sneak out and start tracking this deer at where i thought he was going , i did not go look for my arrow i just left my spot as i did not want to go stink it up just yet .

well i found blood right away where he left the lain and entered the woods , at this point a semi blind guy cold follow him through the tag alders and swmp , i though he won't be to far !!
Famous last words , this deer bled like a stuck pig for 150 yds as he stopped and bled i noticed there was air bubbles in the blood , to me immediately i thought lung blood , but the weird thing is he was only bleeding on the entrance side .
i went another 50 yds and at this point the blood trail is starting to thin out and he is walking now .
O crap i must have only got one lung , how could that be i saw the hit should have been a double lung , but the blood trail only being on one side was stuck in my mind as i went along , i tracked him another 100 yds and he wound up at a dirt road crossing , at this point my battery was dead from hyper mode on my thrunite head klamp , so i walked back to camp to get more juice ,lol.

I drove my truck over to where he crossed the road and started looking on the other side for blood , now this trail crossing the road is like a cattle crossing , so to me he had to go this way , as they cross and go through the ditch the trail goes into a tall grass field with tag alter thickets .
well i searched every trail that branched from the main crossing trail and no blood no where , at this time i was getting tired from wandering around in the dark and decided to call it a night , this was at 11:15 .

I got back over to look at about 8:00 am and drove to the crossing and parked , went back to my last blood where he come out of the ditch and to my surprise he actually turned and walked down the road towards the highway 2 tenths of a mile from where he came out , so i followed him and all of a sudden no more tracks , i decided he in no way would cross back into the ditch so i angled across the road and sure enough i found his tracks ,now this is crazy he actually angled across the road into a drive way to a propane filling plant that is mowed grass , i confirmed it with one drop of blood froze in the frost .that was the only blood i could fine , after searching the obvious route's he would take , i found no blood .

Ok where did you go ,lol.on a hunch i decided to go look in some sand that was in a straight line from his entry to the plant yard 60 yds from last blood and i picked his track up again tracked him by some junk piles and into a pople thicket , bingo blood on the small tree that had wiped off of his side and some drips in the yellow leaves .
this was at 9:30 , i know 1.5 hrs for 80 yds , i never give up !!!
just then i heard something run off but did not see what it was and the sound was not like a deer running off , so i wandered around trying to figure out where he would have went i all of a sudden found real good blood again to the point i could track just walking along . i followed it to where he laid down , Guess what the sound i herd was him bolting as i kicked him up . took me another 45 min to figure which direction he went as there was no blood , only his tracks as he dug into the leaves and forest floor , finally found after he ran 40 yds started to bleed again but only when he would land from a bound . i found my self searching for his next landing and just happened to look ahead down a open straight stretch in the direction he was going and there he was .

I was like hallelujah . this was at 11:15 about 2 hrs after i kicked him up . 600 yds from where i shot him

I guess what i am getting at here is , i saw the sign in the blood , how he bled , where he was going as far as switching directions ,and the thought of i was the one who made him bleed i am the one that needs to find him . Most of the hunters i know , would have said , you did not hit him good enough .
Never give up folks !!!!!

What i found is yes i did hit him a little back and high got one lung , but the arrow deflected high up and through the opposite side very front back strap . not to sure if i like a swing blade broadhead right now , but the TG put a big enough slice in him to give me the blood trail i had . so i am not switching heads , only try for better shot placement !!!

Not the biggest buck but this is average for here in the U.P . he will eat very well !!!!!!
O and i shot this deer with my silver custom ,a first for that bow in my hands !!

View attachment 186104
View attachment 186105
I hope my story ends as well as yours. At 8am I shot a monster. This is the biggest deer I have pictures of. Going out in morning again to find him. You inspired me to keep looking. More tomorrow....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Sounds like the tracking was the most fun of the hunt! Congrats Tim!!!

Reactions: burky247365

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope my story ends as well as yours. At 8am I shot a monster. This is the biggest deer I have pictures of. Going out in morning again to find him. You inspired me to keep looking. More tomorrow....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep after him and think where would you go i f you were hurt and then do the opposite .
LOL, good luck and i hope you find him .

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the tracking was the most fun of the hunt! Congrats Tim!!!
Wore me right out Jeff , mentally and physically !!!!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
They are the shots that teach you something about tracking deer. Keeps you on your toes. I've tracked many like that in my life. Sometimes didn't get home till 3 or 4 am and back out at daylight. I personally enjoy tracking them. Makes things interesting and makes for one heck of a great feeling when you find em.

Keeps and makes you sharp.

Congrat's Burky!!!!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats Tim! Nice buck too! Thanks for sharing your story!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
They are the shots that teach you something about tracking deer. Keeps you on your toes. I've tracked many like that in my life. Sometimes didn't get home till 3 or 4 am and back out at daylight. I personally enjoy tracking them. Makes things interesting and makes for one heck of a great feeling when you find em.

Keeps and makes you sharp.

Congrat's Burky!!!!
Nice Buck way to hang good job.
Congrats Tim! Nice buck too! Thanks for sharing your story!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks Tom , Joe and Sam !!!!!

Reactions: samt

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice buck Tim and you did the right thing and stuck with the tracking job. Congrats. Wish I could have been up there to help you.
I am pretty wore out Steve !!
he is skinned and hangen in the pole barn , having a selibitory apple crown royal and 7up ,lol.
If ya get up this fall stop on in !!!!
O and THANK YOU !!!!

Reactions: Inspector98

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
67 Posts
I always like a dedicated hunter getting his just rewards. I took a management doe the other day, that only travelled 150 yds, but doubled back on her trail, twice. What should have been easy, peazy, took 2 hours figuring out the antics. Congrats on both the buck, and the nice job of figuring out the trail.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I always like a dedicated hunter getting his just rewards. I took a management doe the other day, that only travelled 150 yds, but doubled back on her trail, twice. What should have been easy, peazy, took 2 hours figuring out the antics. Congrats on both the buck, and the nice job of figuring out the trail.
Congrats !!
Thank you !!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts