Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Hello. I never shot a crossbow, but I want to start, so I’m looking to buy a crossbow. Any advice on which ones are good for a beginner, but I won’t grow out of in 2months? Thank you
Welcome to CBN!

What do you plan to use it for? Target practice only or hunting as well?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the nation! There are many many opinions on which crossbow is the best. I shoot Killer Instinct now and own a Swat XP and have the X1 on order so I would say KI is the best. That is just my opinion. You can ask 100 different people on here which is a good crossbow and you will get 50 different answers.

My advice is to get to a dealer where you can at a minimum shoulder some bows and hopefully do some shooting. This way you can see what feels the best for you and what fits your budget. Once you narrow it down to a few come on here and search the bows and see what people have said about them. Or make a post asking for opinions.

Good luck!

P.S. The KI Swat series crossbows are really sweet! 😃

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to CBN!

What do you plan to use it for? Target practice only or hunting as well?
Well, I need to shoot some targets first, but who knows, maybe one day I’ll take down Sasquatch (is that legal?). So, yea, I’d like to be able to hunt with it. I don’t know how much they vary in weight, but I would like to be able to move with it too, and not feel like I’m carrying bricks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the nation! There are many many opinions on which crossbow is the best. I shoot Killer Instinct now and own a Swat XP and have the X1 on order so I would say KI is the best. That is just my opinion. You can ask 100 different people on here which is a good crossbow and you will get 50 different answers.

My advice is to get to a dealer where you can at a minimum shoulder some bows and hopefully do some shooting. This way you can see what feels the best for you and what fits your budget. Once you narrow it down to a few come on here and search the bows and see what people have said about them. Or make a post asking for opinions.

Good luck!

P.S. The KI Swat series crossbows are really sweet! 😃
Thanks. Yea, I know a million opinions. I can only read a few though so the ones I see will affect my decision. KI you say? I’ll look that up. I’m definitely going to find a store, and see if I can get some guidance. You say there are stores that may let me shoot? That would be amazing. Anyway, thanks....I’ll check out those names you mentioned

·
Registered
14,026 Posts
Welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello. I never shot a crossbow, but I want to start, so I’m looking to buy a crossbow. Any advice on which ones are good for a beginner, but I won’t grow out of in 2months? Thank you
! treat the scope as an equal partner to the crossbow. Go to ranges that sell crossbows and ask to shot any that interest you and also ask to shut the lighting down to see the scope in low light conditions if you will use it to hunt because Bambi has an allergy to bright sunlight. Shoot as many different bow as you can. Pay attention to cocking and loading ease. Pay attention to the trigger. Pay attention to the routine and not so routine maintenance requirements. Special requirements like needing special arrows to use it are important ($$$).

Given 300 FPS you are good for ~15 yards without worrying about string jumping. 330 FPS will get you about five more yards. 360 will buy you ~another five yards. The pay back for more speed starts to go down hill after that. Many bows are accurate enough to kill deer out at 50 yards and beyond, but arrow flight time is so slow that trying to do so requires a lot of faith that Bambi won't move before the arrow gets there.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks. Yea, I know a million opinions. I can only read a few though so the ones I see will affect my decision. KI you say? I’ll look that up. I’m definitely going to find a store, and see if I can get some guidance. You say there are stores that may let me shoot? That would be amazing. Anyway, thanks....I’ll check out those names you mentioned
Yeah most archery shops will let you test fire bows and instruct you on there use. Even the big box stores like Cabelas, bass pro and field and stream have ranges. Depending on your budget you will have tons of options. Check out the manufactures corner. Lots of threads on the various manufactures bows. Lots of great information 👍.

·
Registered
Scorpyd Ventilator Extreme. 22" Spynal Tapps. Rage BH
205 Posts
Welcome to the Nation! As for bows your best bet is to do what was mentioned above and that is go to a local store or range and try a few different brands out and get a feel for things that you like and dislike about them then try to narrow it down to find what fits best in your budget range. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
! treat the scope as an equal partner to the crossbow. Go to ranges that sell crossbows and ask to shot any that interest you and also ask to shut the lighting down to see the scope in low light conditions if you will use it to hunt because Bambi has an allergy to bright sunlight. Shoot as many different bow as you can. Pay attention to cocking and loading ease. Pay attention to the trigger. Pay attention to the routine and not so routine maintenance requirements. Special requirements like needing special arrows to use it are important ($$$).

Given 300 FPS you are good for ~15 yards without worrying about string jumping. 330 FPS will get you about five more yards. 360 will buy you ~another five yards. The pay back for more speed starts to go down hill after that. Many bows are accurate enough to kill deer out at 50 yards and beyond, but arrow flight time is so slow that trying to do so requires a lot of faith that Bambi won't move before the arrow gets there.
Thank you. That’s helpful info. I’ll start with those and make a list of things I need to focus on and ask about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome aboard if your going to be hunting with it I would stay in the 300-350 FPS range if your going to be doing just target shooting I’d go for the higher speeds. Plenty of good bows out there I’m partial to Excalibur due to the simplicity and reliability. But I also have a couple of older Ten Points. My suggestion would be go to your local archery shop or a Cabelas and try several of them out before you make that purchase. See what feels comfortable to you and fits your needs.
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Centerpoint Sniper 370 they can be bought online for under $300. They are super accurate and fast. I killed 10 deer with mine in 3 seasons. Unbelievable quality for the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Centerpoint Sniper 370 they can be bought online for under $300. They are super accurate and fast. I killed 10 deer with mine in 3 seasons. Unbelievable quality for the price.
Thanks. It looks like there are decent ones for around $300 - $500. I’ll check the Centerpoints out

·
Registered
36 Posts
Going straight for the most solid high-end would actually save money, when you factor in the potential second crossbow and all the mods on a starter.
Any Ten Point with an AccuSlide would be best, though a model with LESS speed will also save on string/cable changes.
Anything above 350 fps is good enough.

IF unwilling to deal with having to learn cable changes and timing (or occasional servicing elsewhere) - then Excalubur would be best, though limbs can break on those... or might never break, its just chance.

The point is, going straight for the Mercedes/ Cadillac of crossbows is actually the most sensible trouble-free and cheepest starting position, all things considered.
And the current best high-end is the TenPoints. Ravins might seem high end -ish but have issues (bad scopes, weird proprietery nocks, no rails).

·
Registered
Excalibur GRZ2
25 Posts
Welcome! I was in the same spot as you a couple weeks ago. I decided on the Exaclibur GRZ2. Excellent reviews everywhere, not made overseas (made in Canada), not complex (recurve) and a reasonable price, $500 ready to shoot. I'm really enjoying it in my back yard, and plan to shoot my first 3D this weekend at a local club.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The trouble with buying a Cadilac bow is the probability of finding out you really a BMW kind of shooter. I would stick to something cheaper to start with. There are lots of quality bows in the $300 to $500 range that work just fine. You can buy a $3000 bow later if you choose to.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You will like ANY crossbow you shoot. See if you can shoot a few for comparison. I would start with a reasonably priced bow (depends on your budget). I would opt for a less complicated bow. One that you can cock with a rope cocker as opposed to mechanical. Just one more thing to worry about. Anything above 350 fps will be more than adequate for deer hunting out to 50 yds. You can always upgrade later and keep your first as a B/U.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts