Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Welcome to the Nation. Great place for info. As far as recommendations on crossbows', there are to many variables and choices for any one person to suggest. Use, price, style, features, etc.. One person may love a Ravin or Tenpoint, and the next person may hate both. I know it's not easy to make a specific choice, but the crossbow needs to fit your personal criteria, budget, etc. As suggested try to visit as many shops to physically handle and shoot. All major Manufactures have websites, which is a quick and great source of info on models, features, etc. Warranty's and customer service could also be factors. With regards to hunting use, crossbows are still a short range weapon (20 to 40-50 yards) any mid range crossbows will shoot bullseyes just as well as the most expensive one with all the bells and whistles, and usually with less problems. Good Luck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
No matter what you end up with, you need to have a backup plan. You don't want your whole hunting season to depend on no equipment malfunction or accidents. So whether you have vertical bow as part of your backup plan, or another crossbow you can borrow from someone, or buy a crossbow you can service yourself, think about what that plan might be before deciding. If you aren't able to use vertical bow, and don't know someone with a crossbow you could borrow, then you really should consider one like an excalibur recurve that you can keep spare limbs, string, and stringing aid on hand. That way if anything fails you are back in business in no time. And if you end up trying and liking a compound crossbow in the future, then you have a very reliable backup on hand with the excalibur. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The trouble with buying a Cadilac bow is the probability of finding out you really a BMW kind of shooter. I would stick to something cheaper to start with. There are lots of quality bows in the $300 to $500 range that work just fine. You can buy a $3000 bow later if you choose to.
The real question is, how long is the OP willing to postpone learning about timing/string/cable changes, good scopes, consistent rope cocking, good vs bad triggers and ergonomics/balance.

Excaliburs have the gentlest learning curve, followed by some expensive crossbows (cheapest acuslide 10point is $1500), followed by everything else.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Thanks. It looks like there are decent ones for around $300 - $500. I’ll check the Centerpoints out
The legacy CenterPoints are very good and include the Sniper and Amped at the top of the list, however they do have some nice machined components which translates to being a little heavier than bows that are all or mostly made of composite and plastics.

Wicked Ride (TenPoint) has a Blackhawk 360 that's worth looking at and it would be a lightweight.

Blackhawk 360 Link

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I would wait until June for the release of the killer instinct FATAL X. 9.75 uncocked,6.25 cocked. Adjustable from 30 -33 in. Will have the new X cams that are on the swat X1. 405 fps. $499.00 with rope cocker/$599.00 with integrated ccd. Plenty of time before deer season to decide.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I would wait until June for the release of the killer instinct FATAL X. 9.75 uncocked,6.25 cocked. Adjustable from 30 -33 in. Will have the new X cams that are on the swat X1. 405 fps. $499.00 with rope cocker/$599.00 with integrated ccd. Plenty of time before deer season to decide.
Lots of bang for the buck with that bow!

Its all just a vicious cycle...I started out with a Barnett Whitetail hunter 2 in 2019, great bow...wanted faster and got a KI Furious Pro 9.5, had my accident with it and sold it (not the bows fault).. bought a Swat XP and a KI Rush 380 last year...sold the Rush and buying an X1 and keeping the XP, still have the Barnett. We wont even get into the scopes, arrows, etc...This crossbow stuff is pretty addictive and hard on the wallet lol. All I can say is get one you absolutely love or you will just be upgrading in a year once the addiction sets in. (y)😁

·
Registered
178 Posts
Plenty of reasonably priced bows that are awesome, to some guys it's all about the money and they have to buy the expensive stuff. I've shot both high priced and affordable crossbows and once you sight them in, they are all accurate and fast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If your looking for a reliable crossbow thats easy to tune and shoot then look at any of the Excalibur line up. There are many models to choose from. If you look at the older models of the exo series you'll save alot of money. The excaliburs are tough as nails and are deadly accurate. You can easily repair them in the outback by yourself and go back to hunting in minutes. You have a lot of different brands and models to choose from. Take your time and see if you can shoot them there in the stores. Good luck in your search. Have a good one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would not buy any crossbow unless I had shot a lot of them.
Crossbows are no different than vertical compounds. Lots of junk being praised and good bows being trashed on line.
Go to shops and shoot and dont buy until you have shot everything within your area of travel.

Pro Tip

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
Ive killed several deer with my crossbow shooting 305 fps at 30-35 yards and wouldnt hesitate on taking the shot again and again. If the deer is feeding along the arrow zips thru before he moves. For trouble free bows that you can change the strings on yourself and doesnt need taking in to a pro shop look at Excaliburs (maybe Missions and some others too.) I also have the Sniper 370. After upgrading the scope, arrows, and getting the trigger worked on it's a solid shooting bow that hasnt needed anything but shooting since I bought it. You can also change your own string on this bow. What I really like about my 2 crossbows is I never have to "tweek" 'em, I can unload both bows without haveing to actually shoot them, and they werent all that expensive.

Like folks have said, look around and shoot as many as you can. Check out the boards and look at the pros and cons about the bows on your "target list". Ask plenty of questions and try getting your hands on the bows youre interested in. Take your time and pick what's good for you. And good luck!;):) And...........welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
369 Posts
Welcome to the nation! There are many many opinions on which crossbow is the best. I shoot Killer Instinct now and own a Swat XP and have the X1 on order so I would say KI is the best. That is just my opinion. You can ask 100 different people on here which is a good crossbow and you will get 50 different answers.

My advice is to get to a dealer where you can at a minimum shoulder some bows and hopefully do some shooting. This way you can see what feels the best for you and what fits your budget. Once you narrow it down to a few come on here and search the bows and see what people have said about them. Or make a post asking for opinions.

Good luck!

P.S. The KI Swat series crossbows are really sweet! 😃
Archer is right, are you short? Tall? Long arms? It would be best to see and hold them. I bought my first crossbow in January never even holding one before. The KI ripper 415. It’s about a $350-400 crossbow and shoots very good. The drawback? I’m short at 5’5”. Didn’t take long to figure out it was too long for me, pretty hard to cock at 200 lbs. so I started doing research on shorter more compact bows. I came across a deal on here(CBN) I couldn’t let pass me up. A tenpoint siege that fits me to the T. Very expensive but it is one bad ass bow. I am still planning on buying the new KI swat x1 because thanks to this forum I now have the crossbow disease!😂.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts