Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had a local bow shop put new 60x "premade factory direct" strings/cables on my barnett whitetail hunter 2. i shoot a 470 gr arrow/broadhead combination and use a speed sensitive scope. i know before with the factory string/cable combination i chron'd at 315-ish fps and thats where my scope was set for. after the change i chrono'd again just to make sure for the scope settings and dialed in 301 at the bow shop. pretty disappointing considering i was hoping the new 60x strings/cables would at minimum give me the same outcome as the originals. the bow shop had no interest in advancing my cams what-so-ever when i asked him about it the day i dropped it off. hes a very reputable archery shop in my area so i went with his discretion. seems as though im going backwards with this crossbow. im not too worried about the 300fps for my hunting needs but it is a let down.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,139 Posts
Wouldn't worry about it, his refusal to advance your cams most likely prolonged the useful life of your crossbow.
Many would insist that be done and then trash the shop when something went wrong. Not doing it is why the guy is "very reputable".
FPS loss is probably due to string/cable weight or length, shoot it a while, then adjust to spec.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
The Barnett Whitetail Hunter 2 crossbow is rated at 350 feet per second using a 380 grain arrow-point combination.
For every 10 grain over one loses approximately 3 feet per second. The 470 grain arrow-point combination that is
mentioned is 90 grain over. There fore 90 divide by 10 = 9 x 3 = 27 feet per second loss. There fore 350 - 27 = 323
feet per second that crossbow should be getting with the 470 grain arrow-point combination if it was properly tuned.
All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
just had a local bow shop put new 60x "premade factory direct" strings/cables on my barnett whitetail hunter 2. i shoot a 470 gr arrow/broadhead combination and use a speed sensitive scope. i know before with the factory string/cable combination i chron'd at 315-ish fps and thats where my scope was set for. after the change i chrono'd again just to make sure for the scope settings and dialed in 301 at the bow shop. pretty disappointing considering i was hoping the new 60x strings/cables would at minimum give me the same outcome as the originals. the bow shop had no interest in advancing my cams what-so-ever when i asked him about it the day i dropped it off. hes a very reputable archery shop in my area so i went with his discretion. seems as though im going backwards with this crossbow. im not too worried about the 300fps for my hunting needs but it is a let down.
To add to the math that was outlined above, any time string or cables or both are changed it’s critically important to ensure the ATA is adjusted to factory specifications. Also, Cam Timing is restored to dead on the factory timing marks.

After this has been done it’s mandatory that your scope is re-zeroed from the beginning. It’s literally not possible to make timing changes via cable twists or string twists to set your crossbows ATA correctly without affecting the scopes zero settings. Zero is always affected by either Cam Sync changes or ATA adjustment changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts